New Helmet, new summer jacket advice please

Nolan N40-5 GT

A module helmet, I use mine in open face mode for commuting and trail riding.

Very happy with it - peak is good, it's comfy and quiet. Only negative is that it steams up - even in open face mode - so a pinlock is essential :thumby:

Thanks everyone for the very prompt and helpful replies.

Helmet: Somehow I'm inclined to a full-face for safety and noise concerns. Am I wrong to completely dismiss flips-ups? Also, I have a friend who I am sharing the motorbike with (not at the same time). Is it a very bad idea to share a helmet if our heads fit the same lid?

Jacket: Mesh can be an option but is it still an option when considering those other months when I go to Portugal and want to go for a ride. I know I may be asking for the impossible, specially with my budget, which would be a versatile jacket for hot months but can be then used in March/April/October, etc. I know I may boil a bit with something other than a mesh, but just didn't want to keep spending in several options.

Pants: (Is this what you meant by plants?) For this first year, jeans will have to do unless I find something really budget.

Gloves: I've been given some used ones which fit me fine.

Anything else worth considering?

Yep sign up to the forum 12 quid will get you access to the for sale section, and you will find really good gear cheaper and better quality than fleabay.

At £370 -ish....... a bit over his £200 budget?

I got one for little more than £200 from FC Moto as it has been replaced by a newer model so they were selling them cheap for a while

I have 2 Rukka jackets and a pair of trousers from either FC Moto or Louis.de which were end of line models. The lot for around £700.

No point recommending a specific helmet as you need to find a brand that fits - for London, go to Infinity and just try on helmets until you find one that fits. For £300 you will get the entry level helmet from a top brand - I would always go for Arai or Shoei if one fits. Look for end of line deals as you will get a higher spec. including the flip down sun visor for your money.

Revit Airwave jacket and a waterproof/windproof over jacket. This combination worked well for me in southern Spain.

Do you need a flip down visor? You will probably have the dark visor down all the time so why not get a helmet with no internal sun visor. It will be cheaper. You can carry a spare clear visor if you know you'll be out after dark. Last year's paint schemes are usually cheaper.

I wouldn't share a helmet. Their head will be a different shape and they will mak eit sweaty. Yuk!

Spend the £12 on a year's subs for here to access the for sale section. It will be worth it.

Get the best kit you can afford. You hope you'll never need it to protect you in a crash, but if it has to, you want it to work/

I use Held Vento mesh jacket/trousers and very happy.

Use decent armour and comfy all day long.

I bought a Rev'it Chronos last summer and ended up wearing through the winter, it's become my "go to" jacket with a Cold Killer wind buddy for the colder temps.

Just bought a pair of Airwave 2 pants for a trip to Spain next month and will just bring waterproofs for over them in the rare event of rain.

Camelback......and that's me sorted for the very hot temps.

If I was on a tight budget, the Rev'it Airwave 2 jacket would serve the exact same purpose.

I'm a big lad and I run hot, as soon as the temps get into double figures.....it's mesh for me from now on.

Sent from a U11

Everyone's replies have been really helpful and offered me food for thought. Cheers.

I've been looking and looking... amazing the amount of time we can spend with these things. Here are my thoughts:

For the jacket, I found the Rev'it Tornado, which has a detachable waterproof, windproof liner. It seems like a good option to stretch the jacket to 3 seasons and it has CE-level 2 protections, although over my budget. Does anyone have any thoughts on it or do you know alternatives?

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Revit-Tornado-2-Textile-Jacket/SubProducts/Revit-Tornado-2-Textile-Jacket-0003&Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GBiccm=SOL_GB&utm_source=billiger&utm_medium=productlistings&utm_campaign=Solute_UK

Re helmets, I really need to go to a physical shop and get my head inside a lid and buy it there. . If you have any tips of things to look for, let me know.

Re helmets, I really need to go to a physical shop and get my head inside a lid and buy it there. . If you have any tips of things to look for, let me know.

As the Bell advert said if you've got a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. I think the best advice with any helmet is to buy the best you can afford. In my experience, thats always been Arai or Shoei, depending on your head shape.

As the Bell advert said if you've got a $10 head buy a $10 helmet. I think the best advice with any helmet is to buy the best you can afford. In my experience, thats always been Arai or Shoei, depending on your head shape.

You can buy a helmet with a 5 star safety rating for less than £200 - Alternatively you can buy a Shoei with a five star safety rating, from the same agency, for a lot more.

I'm not sure what the difference would be in an accident but the general quality and feel of the products are very different - I have both types :beerjug:

When we went to Spain last year, it was so hot that we reverted to T-shirts, jeans and short boots.

Our mesh jackets were put in the panniers.

I know it's a risk but can't stand with being too hot when riding - and even the breeze is hot.

When we went to Spain last year, it was so hot that we reverted to T-shirts, jeans and short boots.

Our mesh jackets were put in the panniers.

I know it's a risk but can't stand with being too hot when riding - and even the breeze is hot.

When the temperature is very high you will be cooler wearing a jacket - the science is available on the web - I like Klim as they have loads of venting.
Before textile clothing I rode in high temperatures in t.shirts - a 3 week heat wave in Northern Spain and I suffered. Fully kitted up with plenty of vents open and Death Valley was no problem - hydration pack is a must for us now also.
:thumb2

So, following all your advices, I managed to grab a new Alpinestars Luc Air jackets on ebay for £70. Just tried it and it fits nicely. Another good thing, I have a GoreTex that I use with my bicycle (yes, I also ride one of those motorless 2-wheeled vehicles) and it fits comfortably on top. This will help me on those rainy/windy days.

Now... the helmet

When the temperature is very high you will be cooler wearing a jacket - the science is available on the web - I like Klim as they have loads of venting.
Before textile clothing I rode in high temperatures in t.shirts - a 3 week heat wave in Northern Spain and I suffered. Fully kitted up with plenty of vents open and Death Valley was no problem - hydration pack is a must for us now also.
:thumb2

I couldn’t manage a jacket in that heat. Last year in Arizona it was 115F. My badlands, even with all the vents open wasn’t flowing any air. In the end we all took our jackets off, which felt strange. Luckily we went to Death Valley in the Jeep. That was over 125F, Ido t think I would have managed on a bike at all in that.

Back
Top Bottom