New Helmet, new summer jacket advice please

Rafiki

Reaction score
Although I live in the UK, I'm a proud new owner of a 1200GS in Portugal, and I will be using it mainly in the Summer. I don't have any gear yet and I am looking for your advice on a new helmet and jacket. As I'm only using the bike a few weeks a year, I don't plan to buy top end gear, but at the same time, I don't want to overlook safety.

Helmet:
- Below £300
- With sun visor
- Being able to use my prescription glasses occasionally
- Available in a physical shop near London to be able to try it, as my head sits just between M and L.

Jacket:
- Around or below £200
- Good in hot weather but still ok for the occasional cooler, somehow wet days
- Open to a good second hand deal

Cheers,
R.

For jacket I would go for Rukka AiRider. Useless in wet but who cares. Fantastic summer jacket. Carry a waterproof over jacket if you need one. I got mine from F.C. Moto as I didn’t care about warranty as it isn’t waterproof.

Mate of mine bought an RST Pro Series Paragon V jacket over the winter, has proved waterproof so far and looks to be well made, it has shoulder,chest and arm vents and he was up yesterday and said they work very well, he got the jacket for just under £200 from J & S accesories and I would have no problems wearing it on a bigger bike.

For a helmet there are quite a few places punting out the Schuberth C3 Basic out for under £300, it is a slightly updated version of the old C3 which continues in production alongside the newer C3 pro

Your best bet is eBay ,,,,,you will get what you need on there at a better price ,as you are only riding a few weeks a year is it worth spending loads ? Just buy a reputable brand .

For jacket I would go for Rukka AiRider. Useless in wet but who cares. Fantastic summer jacket. Carry a waterproof over jacket if you need one. I got mine from F.C. Moto as I didn’t care about warranty as it isn’t waterproof.

At £370 -ish....... a bit over his £200 budget?

Rev'it Airwave 2 (+ rain jacket) and either a HJC RPHA 70 or a Shark Spartan.

I wouldn't bother with a conventional jacket with zip vents, it won't be any good to you in Portugal, mesh with a outer rain jacket in my opinion is the way to go.

You don't mention plants?

Sent from a U11

Portugal same as the Portuguese in the summer Benfica teeshirt red baywatch shorts and crocs, job done.............:hide

I would go the eBay route. I just picked up a Hein Gericke Tuareg summer jacket that also comes with a liner for 36 quid. Looks barely worn and we're originally £250.
Bargains to be had.
Helmet wise there's many options, c3 pro as mentioned shark evoline (sp?) 3 are thought very highly about.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Before any one notices..........obviously plants have no relevance to this discussion.

Sent from a U11

Your best bet is eBay ,,,,,you will get what you need on there at a better price ,as you are only riding a few weeks a year is it worth spending loads ? Just buy a reputable brand .

Thanks, that's a very possible scenario. Still good to see what the brands are offering for the budget I'm thinking.

Portugal same as the Portuguese in the summer Benfica teeshirt red baywatch shorts and crocs, job done.............:hide

You almost got it right! But Crocs? For god's sake. :) But the club, spot on

Thanks everyone for the very prompt and helpful replies.

Helmet: Somehow I'm inclined to a full-face for safety and noise concerns. Am I wrong to completely dismiss flips-ups? Also, I have a friend who I am sharing the motorbike with (not at the same time). Is it a very bad idea to share a helmet if our heads fit the same lid?

Jacket: Mesh can be an option but is it still an option when considering those other months when I go to Portugal and want to go for a ride. I know I may be asking for the impossible, specially with my budget, which would be a versatile jacket for hot months but can be then used in March/April/October, etc. I know I may boil a bit with something other than a mesh, but just didn't want to keep spending in several options.

Pants: (Is this what you meant by plants?) For this first year, jeans will have to do unless I find something really budget.

Gloves: I've been given some used ones which fit me fine.

Anything else worth considering?

In terms of a Jacket combo, I have a new Dainese Air Frame jacket (and have had two previous iterations) which I wear with a Halvarssons Comfort Fleece for when it is colder. I have an Alpinestars Rain Jacket for the wet. All of these combined I've used for quite a few years in very hot and some colder conditions and find really are versatile.

You can get the Dainese jacket for around £120 and the fleece for around £90.

Finding a single jacket that will be able to cope with all of the weather conditions you expect (summer heat, dry, wet, cooler winter temps) will be difficult. Why not opt for a light summer jacket that provides good crash protection (Rukka Airall or Alpinestars Luc Air Jacket ) at the same time as providing decent air flow to keep you cool. Then, to combat the wet/cold carry a light waterproof overjacket such as the Oxford Rainseal. It's not expensive and will keep you completely dry in the event of rain. It will also protect you from wind chill when riding in the colder months. If it's really cold, a light fleece under the summer jacket should keep you nice and snug. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom