Number Plate Delaminating?

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bought my new GSA Rally in March and when it went in for the 60 miles service the number plate was delaminating (the silver grey backing was coming away on the right hand side allowing water to get in).

The plate was replaced at the first service in April but last Friday I noticed that I had an incorrect letter on my replacement plate which was also delaminating just like the first.

Second plate replaced and rode home and by the time I got home the third plate was beginning to seperate in the same area.

I've been riding bikes for almost 50 years and never had this problem before and I've done nothing different (ie cleaning) to this bike compared to the rest..........yet 3 plates have failed on this bike and only this bike.

The dealership seem to think it could be heat from the exhaust causing the delamination (logical) but the 17 plate GS I traded for this bike didn't have this problem.

It's not a big deal but I'm just curious if this is a common problem with heat from the exhaust on an 18 model or is it just me?

Mike

Common problem I put silver foil tape on the rear of the numberplate solves the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought my new GSA Rally in March and when it went in for the 60 miles service the number plate was delaminating (the silver grey backing was coming away on the right hand side allowing water to get in).

The plate was replaced at the first service in April but last Friday I noticed that I had an incorrect letter on my replacement plate which was also delaminating just like the first.

Second plate replaced and rode home and by the time I got home the third plate was beginning to seperate in the same area.

I've been riding bikes for almost 50 years and never had this problem before and I've done nothing different (ie cleaning) to this bike compared to the rest..........yet 3 plates have failed on this bike and only this bike.

The dealership seem to think it could be heat from the exhaust causing the delamination (logical) but the 17 plate GS I traded for this bike didn't have this problem.

It's not a big deal but I'm just curious if this is a common problem with heat from the exhaust on an 18 model or is it just me?

Mike

I’ve had the same problem rhs of the plate had separated from the plastic
65 plate. But I’ve not bothered to do anything about it.
Next bike I’ll put a better plate on myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Euro4 running hotter ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Dealer using cheaper materials to make their plates , or the person making them isn't doing it correctly

Where did you buy the bike? Mine from Williams Manchester has done the same to some degree. I think delaminating is probably too complex a term for what has happened to my plate: sticky backed plastic unsticking is more accurate. I took the plate off the bike and used a hair dryer to soften and smooth out the plastic then pressed it back in place with a flat weight. It seems to be ok now but if it does it again I’ll get one made up at a local motor factors.
Interesting that other replies go straight to the evil that is euro 4,:rolleyes:
Alan R

Pressed metal number plates could be the big breakthrough here.

Well looking at the width of some of the UK number plates does not surprise me, here in Germany the plate is roughly the width of the rear tyre, so exhaust heat gets now where near it.

Thanks for all your thoughts and I personally think it's a exhaust heat problem.

I've just spent a couple of minutes measuring the position of the mounting screws on the plate. Although the plate looks central it's actually about an eighth of an inch biased towards the right. If the plate was biased to this degree on the left it would shift the plate over by about 0.25inch. Would this be enough to solve the problem?

I assume that when the two replacement plates were fitted thel plate on the bike would be used as a template for drilling the holes, hence the repeat problem.

When I pop in for my 4th plate I'll point this out to them, ask them to fit the plate with a left biase and hope this solves the problem

Mike

Thanks for all your thoughts and I personally think it's a exhaust heat problem.

I've just spent a couple of minutes measuring the position of the mounting screws on the plate. Although the plate looks central it's actually about an eighth of an inch biased towards the right. If the plate was biased to this degree on the left it would shift the plate over by about 0.25inch. Would this be enough to solve the problem?

I assume that when the two replacement plates were fitted thel plate on the bike would be used as a template for drilling the holes, hence the repeat problem.

When I pop in for my 4th plate I'll point this out to them, ask them to fit the plate with a left biase and hope this solves the problem

Mike

Yep well the one,s you guys have for the 4 caracters and three spaces are nearly 5cms wider than the one,s here so that would make sense.

http://www.motuk.com/Motorbike-registration-plates.asp

One of the first things I do on any new bike is change the dinner plate sized number plate for a smaller one. Keeping the letters the legal size (officer :D) but on a smaller plate is the way to go. And they come with a black backing, so blend in with the mudguard (hide the oil on my KTM :p) better.

I solved this problem when I fitted new garage doors. Since thy are the same size as a UK motorcycle number plate, I simply painted one yellow and stuck black letters and numbers on it. No delamination and I'm also pretty sure I have the only GS with remote control 'up and over' numberplate. ;)

Bloody small garage ?
I solved this problem when I fitted new garage doors. Since thy are the same size as a UK motorcycle number plate, I simply painted one yellow and stuck black letters and numbers on it. No delamination and I'm also pretty sure I have the only GS with remote control 'up and over' numberplate. ;)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom