Forcefield armoured shirt on the road?

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Forcefield X-V 1 shirt with chest, shoulder, back and arm protectors. I bought it for the hot temperatures I'm expecting when I'm touring this year. Croatia in particular.
What are the thoughts of wearing something like this on the road without a jacket? I'm particularly thinking about lack of abrasion resistance!
I haven't worn it and it still has the tags on it.

forcefield_pro_shirt_xv_750x750.jpg

Literally zero obviously. I can recommend those mesh jackets for hotter days, ie the RST ventilator. At least you then have abrasion protection where you need it ie back, shoulders, elbows etc. I bought a used one for £60 on t'ebay and it worked a treat in SE asia in 35deg heat.

Literally zero obviously. I can recommend those mesh jackets for hotter days, ie the RST ventilator. At least you then have abrasion protection where you need it ie back, shoulders, elbows etc. I bought a used one for £60 on t'ebay and it worked a treat in SE asia in 35deg heat.

I've since discovered the Revit Eclipse mesh jacket. Tried one on at weekend and it ticked most of the boxes.

I have a Forcefield X-V 1 shirt with chest, shoulder, back and arm protectors. I bought it for the hot temperatures I'm expecting when I'm touring this year. Croatia in particular.
What are the thoughts of wearing something like this on the road without a jacket? I'm particularly thinking about abrasion resistance!

forcefield_pro_shirt_xv_750x750.jpg
It is between none, and f*ck all.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have the slightly lighter one without the chest protection.

I would only ever wear mine with a decent jacket over the top. If you did take a fall on the road the initial impact would be cushioned if you fell on padded bits, then the shirt would disintegrate as you slid down the road, possibly leading to nasty road rash.

I'd get a ventilated abrasion resistant jacket over the top. You know it makes sense. :thumby:

Good I suppose if you wanted to look like you were en route to an ice hockey fixture :D

But better call that you've found a mesh jacket. I've used Dainese ones for years and find them absolutely great for the hot spots :thumb

I was gonna post a similar/related question separately, but this thread seems a suitable place - hope OP is OK with that.

I was thinking of that very shirt (or its ilk) with our trip to Spain / Portugal / France this September in mind.

Expecting heat, I bought a Dainese Air Crono mesh jacket to use instead of my Dainese D-Stormer jacket. But the dearth of pockets and limited wind protection for cooler-conditions makes me wonder if it'd be versatile enough to cover all conditions we might encounter over the whole trip - starting Malaga, west to Sagres, north to Picos, west through Picos to Pyrenees, then north through France.

The D-Stormer has loads of huge venting - big mesh chest panels, full-length sleeve, and full back. But in traffic or at low speed, I find it still struggles to keep me cool (on these hot days we've been having lately). But it has a great compliment of pockets too.

The Air Crono flows much more air, but if things got cooler, I'd need to use an insulating layer and rain shell over it to keep warm.

So now I'm wondering if that Forcefield shirt would suffice for the off-road parts of our trip (slower than on-road, so possibly less crucial to have beefy abrasion resistance qualities?), but then for on-road parts, I could use my D-Stormer jacket over it (I'd have the OE Dainese armour removed).

What do the seasoned hot-weather veterans do?

I have the earlier model bought for a trip to Spain, I found it uncomfortable and ended up swapping the armour into the mesh jacket I was warring over the top. I've since switched to wearing a Klim Badlands which I'd find a lot more comfortable across a much wider range of temps than mesh. Mesh is great for temps in the mid to high 20's c, but above that dehydration becomes and issue, blow that and it's just cold.

When you stop for a coffee or lunch you either have to keep the Forcefield shirt on, or end up wearing a t-shirt under it so you can remove it and eat/drink in comfort. The t-shirt adds another layer and kind of defeats to object of wearing the Forcefield shirt to stay cool.

I have the earlier model bought for a trip to Spain, I found it uncomfortable and ended up swapping the armour into the mesh jacket I was warring over the top. I've since switched to wearing a Klim Badlands which I'd find a lot more comfortable across a much wider range of temps than mesh. Mesh is great for temps in the mid to high 20's c, but above that dehydration becomes and issue, blow that and it's just cold.

When you stop for a coffee or lunch you either have to keep the Forcefield shirt on, or end up wearing a t-shirt under it so you can remove it and eat/drink in comfort. The t-shirt adds another layer and kind of defeats to object of wearing the Forcefield shirt to stay cool.

Precisely one of the reasons why I sold mine and bought a mesh jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom