Grip Buddies Ruined my Grips

gloat64

Reaction score
I’m looking for help to prevent buying new grips on my 2012 TC TB. The previous owner left his grip buddies on and I have now taken these off as I couldn’t get on with them. Unfortunately they have left the original grips smooth and ‘glazed’ making them less grippy.

Can anyone suggest ways to remedy this? I currently have to grip slightly more than usual on the throttle which ends up giving me an unwanted ache in that hand.

Any help really appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they grip "buddies" or grip "puppies"

Are they one piece that has a join.........or are they the tube type that slip on over the grips?

Sent from a U11

Are they grip "buddies" or grip "puppies"

Are they one piece that has a join.........or are they the tube type that slip on over the grips?

Sent from a U11

Younger06 they are to foam type tubes that you pull on from the bar end.

Younger06 they are to foam type tubes that you pull on from the bar end.

Ahh OK...... If they where the other type I'd have bought them from you.

Sent from a U11

They dont usually cause issues, it may be something used to lube them for fitting,
A cloth moistened with carb cleaner rubbed over them quiclkly should do it,
If it has a shiny glaze,
I fitted them for the same reason , more grip and vibration insulation,

Maybe the grips were worn before the covers were fitted. Cheap they are not - a pair of heated grips will set you back around £200. Aftermarket works only on the right but on the sleeve on the left makes the grip a tight fit.

I have some snooker cue sleeve on mine. Its heat shrink so cut to length slip on and apply the heat gun/hair dryer. When worn cut off and add some new sleeve.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NON-SLIP...hash=item5422fda4fd:m:m9TGNZ2vM2pFWLaAAdYUAug

There are a couple of different makes of stretchy foam covers including some cheap Chinese ones on Ebay.

I suspect the grips were worn before the covers went on as in my experience, once genuine Grip Puppies go on, they do not slip and have to be rolled off, turning inside out. I like them as they increase the circumference, improving comfort for my ageing joints. If I ride a standard bike the grips feel alien now. I think you would soon accustom to the grip covers after a few miles. this is certainly the cheapest solution for worn heated grips.

Thanks all for the suggestions/help. Maybe a new set of grips is in order. Apart from service costs the bike hasn’t cost me anything so new grips can be justified. Thanks again.

Even if you buy new grips it’s still worth fitting snooker cue heat shrink sleeve. That takes the wear instead of your expensive grips.

I've just tried the £2.75 cricket bat grip/chopped to length not expecting it to work but it's fine great grip, heat still gets thru' even looks right plan to just keep replacing this when required although seems quite hardwearing at the moment.

I've just tried the £2.75 cricket bat grip/chopped to length not expecting it to work but it's fine great grip, heat still gets thru' even looks right plan to just keep replacing this when required although seems quite hardwearing at the moment.

Mine has been on for at least 30,000 miles wrapped over 3mm Sorbothane to soften vibrations. The sleeve still looks fine. It might even work on top of Grip Buddies.

If you want to maintain the OEM-look, take a look at these.
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/original-handlebar-grip-pair-42110-100-1.html

The job is much easier to do than it looks.

It shows in the advrider link above, and you basicaly peel of the rubber iayer and put on new rubber. You may choose the thin rubber, used on all the new bikes, or the older type, as used on the handlebars before 2009.

To get the new rubber back on, wet the handlebar with hairspray. The rubber will then slide on as if it was greased. Then you let it dry over night and the grips will not come of before you decide to renew them again.

"Grip Buddies Ruined my Grips"

More like "bugger grips", then?

Coat acquired, check paid, exits left........tumbleweed imminent.

Back
Top Bottom