hmmmmmmm.........

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My third thread in this section about the K1600GT. It is still in the back of the mind even thought the GSA is good at doing what it is doing. So today I had a ride on the GT Sport. Oh man, what a bike. The older K1600 was definitely lacking (I have ridden the dealer bikes many many times and that K1600 is still one of my favourites) and the improvements made to the current model it feels very different. Very enjoyable to twist the throttle, weight is lower, it turns easier, easier to do U-turns on, a bit smoother but can be smoother as it is an inline 6, lovely to use the GSAP up and down, the seat is much better (better than the GSA), like the smaller screen.

Noticed a few things like there is still buffeting (for lack of better word but the air swirls in to gap between you and the screen and pushes on your back) meaning for whatever position you set the screen any speeds faster than you normally go you need to adjust it again, needs a bit of faith in the front, still wobbles at 150 mph in a bend :D (there is only two private roads with a nice bend for such evaluation around here) and the pegs touch down quite easily. Having had a good look at the exhausts I decided I can live with it and keep the 2K or whatever the Akra goes for. And it is much easier to clean that the GSA. Big plus that last one.

I think I will soon finish with the GSA. It feels like it is time for a change. There are 2 boxers in the garage and one I will have to think long and hard before I sell it. Brilliant bike for what it does the GSA but there is a but. Soon ........ I hope, the forbidden fruit has bitten me :D

I think you bite ( or at least taste) the forbidden fruit, not the other way around.

It makes sense if you say it with an South African accent :thumb2 So lets try again at a bit of humour.

Go try an H2 SX SE.
You may not like it but it'll make the K1600 feel like a barge.
Good test in the latest Ride mag.Everybody loved it apart from blinkered Engineer-clone GS rider.Says it all really.
:aidan

A very comfy barge I'll bet

Go try an H2 SX SE.
You may not like it but it'll make the K1600 feel like a barge.
Good test in the latest Ride mag.Everybody loved it apart from blinkered Engineer-clone GS rider.Says it all really.
:aidan

I'm thinking about it. You rate it and Simon rate it, everybody who rode one rates it. But does it have a 19 inch front wheel? :D My nearest dealer is in Watford.

The H2 might be a good bike but the need is more touring orientated, like big panniers, 2 up and possible space for tent and such like. That is where the GSA fits the bill and many other touring orientated bikes.

I'm thinking about it. You rate it and Simon rate it, everybody who rode one rates it. But does it have a 19 inch front wheel? :D My nearest dealer is in Watford.

The H2 might be a good bike but the need is more touring orientated, like big panniers, 2 up and possible space for tent and such like. That is where the GSA fits the bill and many other touring orientated bikes.

If your name is Joseph and you like to travel with your better half a lot then I would worry for your license if you bought an H2 . Having followed you, I assume, quite a bit on Saturday it was obvious that you are a very good rider who doesn't like to hang about :thumb

Ha, ha, stop blowing smoke up my arse. Thanks for the comment but the GSA makes it easy. The K1600 is a different kettle of fish and such I suspect the H2 even more different.

The GT is a great bike, but there is a long list of problems owners have had with them. Gearboxes, switchgear, engine corrosion, pulling to the left and many more. My own 2013 models gearbox is the worst I have ever experienced on a bike. With BMW reluctant to do anything about it until it fails. They eat tyres as well, although I guess you would know that. Like I said, a great, smooth, comfy tourer, but early bikes especially are flawed.

Try the new Wing too.
Ok,it's silly money and it's a bit of a chubster compared to the GT but I'd rather give my money to Honda, knowing that it will be well made and reliable. And that new front end on the Wing combined with the weight loss and engine tweeks make it a beast.It really handles in Sport mode with loads of ground clearance.
I only tried the manual but apparently the DCT is amazing when mated to the motor.

Just got a new toy:

GTL.jpg

Sounds like I was in a very similar position to yourself but went full tourer rather than sport? I have to say I feel more at home on it than the GS, but most of my miles have been n sports tourers in the past, so perhaps not such a surprise.

Let us know if you pull the trigger.

James

Just got a new toy:

GTL.jpg

Sounds like I was in a very similar position to yourself but went full tourer rather than sport? I have to say I feel more at home on it than the GS, but most of my miles have been n sports tourers in the past, so perhaps not such a surprise.

Let us know if you pull the trigger.

James

Do you mean "Let us know if the bullet bites"?

Back
Top Bottom