Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough idle and lack of power

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Rough idle and lack of power

Had a brilliant run out today bike r1200gs lc running great and no issues. I rode into a busy town and slow moving traffic and the idle felt rough and the warning triangle went to orange. I stopped bike turn ignition off then started bike again and warning light now off so I blasted it down motorway and it wouldn`t pull like it should as I geared down to 4th and went on full throttle just didnt pull at all well. I came off motorway to lights and idle was rough.
    I have changed plugs tonight and air filter and disconnected battery hoping it was a software glitch but not been on it.
    Anyone any ideas or advice?

You will need to take it to a dealer or use a GS911 to see what errors it's throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by een705 View Post
    Had a brilliant run out today bike r1200gs lc running great and no issues. I rode into a busy town and slow moving traffic and the idle felt rough and the warning triangle went to orange. I stopped bike turn ignition off then started bike again and warning light now off so I blasted it down motorway and it wouldn`t pull like it should as I geared down to 4th and went on full throttle just didnt pull at all well. I came off motorway to lights and idle was rough.
    I have changed plugs tonight and air filter and disconnected battery hoping it was a software glitch but not been on it.
    Anyone any ideas or advice?
    TPS very likely

Check for any connectors or pipes fallen off

Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    TPS very likely
    Why??

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Why??
    Im no expert but the TPS operates the throttle bodies , so if its faulty it will make the bike run rough , also it will not open the bodies as it should so that may explain the lack of power , get to the dealer.

Might have been as simple as a bit of crap in the petrol, it can happen, bet it runs fine today and you will never know what it was, head scratching times ahead, if none of that maybe simply the software needs to be re-flashed, it can happen on any software bike, had similar thing happen on a Harley, luckily I had a map in my FP3 and was able to re-flash at the side of the road, then all went well, just an anecdote.

Something or nothing. Now here’s a thing, my GSA has just had its run in service. Before it was running like a peach, but on the return home noticed the idle was lumpy. Will test today...after my car’s 20 year MOT, another anxiety moment. Off to Dent this weekend so hope all is well.

A friend of mine had a similar experience.
    The problem occurred out of nowhere. Warning light came on and engine went into limpmode.
    Happened more than once.

He took it to dealer, and the dealer zeroed out the TPS idle position. The problem never reoccurred.

Quote Originally Posted by G&T View Post
    Something or nothing. Now here’s a thing, my GSA has just had its run in service. Before it was running like a peach, but on the return home noticed the idle was lumpy. Will test today...after my cars 20 year MOT, another anxiety moment. Off to Dent this weekend so hope all is well.
    Take it back quick if you can, not normal, sometimes their software upgrades screw up

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Take it back quick if you can, not normal, sometimes their software upgrades screw up
    Yeah..I think you’re right Smogbob. And there was I thinking it would run even better after the service.

Quote Originally Posted by G&T View Post
    Yeah..I think you’re right Smogbob. And there was I thinking it would run even better after the service.
    Normally do but a slight glitch in the upload is all needed.

GS911 can reset the TPS. Good investment for anyone who hates going to the dealer as much as I do

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    GS911 can reset the TPS. Good investment for anyone who hates going to the dealer as much as I do
    GS-911 is really good when you get the knack how to use it, prices dropping so a lot cheaper now.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    GS-911 is really good when you get the knack how to use it, prices dropping so a lot cheaper now.
    Far easier than setting up the dealer ISTA software The GS911 is very basic to use

Crap in the carb.

I'm slightly surprised at the suggestion there's a TPS as it's fly-by-wire. Similarly, do the throttle bodies need to be balanced either, as they're driven independently by stepper motors, and I would hope, self-calibrate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast