New tyres

Watching this thread with interest

I’m changing my tyres this week on my 2016 GSA ... I’ve been on the Anakee 3 for 3000 miles and haven’t had any problem with them but then I have nothing to compare them against...so I think, after reading this, I’m going to try the Pirelli ST 2, as I do like to crack on abit around the twisties but hope they can cope with a 1000 mile blast down the peage through France.

I’ve not heard of Bobs tyres ... but can highly recommend Buckley tyres .https://www.buckley-tyres.co.uk/.. team there are always helpful and considerate to the bikes I take :thumb2

I’m changing my tyres this week on my 2016 GSA ... I’ve been on the Anakee 3 for 3000 miles and haven’t had any problem with them but then I have nothing to compare them against...so I think, after reading this, I’m going to try the Pirelli ST 2, as I do like to crack on abit around the twisties but hope they can cope with a 1000 mile blast down the peage through France.

I’ve not heard of Bobs tyres ... but can highly recommend Buckley tyres .https://www.buckley-tyres.co.uk/.. team there are always helpful and considerate to the bikes I take :thumb2

Used Buckley Tyres earlier this year for a pair of tyre for my GS. Despite me emailing in advance and them confirming they had the tyres for me, it took them over an hour to locate the rear tyre in their remote storage. They also managed to leave a couple of scratches on one of the wheels and one of the balance weights came lose. Not a positive experience for me.

Used Buckley Tyres earlier this year for a pair of tyre for my GS. Despite me emailing in advance and them confirming they had the tyres for me, it took them over an hour to locate the rear tyre in their remote storage. They also managed to leave a couple of scratches on one of the wheels and one of the balance weights came lose. Not a positive experience for me.

Gosh what a different experience... I’ve taken my bikes for years and never had an issue .. and I’m mega fussy.

Gosh what a different experience... I’ve taken my bikes for years and never had an issue .. and I’m mega fussy.

I’ve had good service there before as well. It wasn’t as if they were busy either. I was the only bike there. They were good on price though. £220 for a pair of Tourance Next fitted to lose wheels.

Makes an interesting read one OP has them on already

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/bridgestone-bmw-r1200gs-fitment/

So i took them out today and gave them a few more miles.

The rear tyre has a noticeably flatter profile compared to the PST2 which means it turns slower, but with the upside of more stability. The front tyre is similar in profile to the PST2, perhaps even slightly steeper in profile (ie, faster turning). Overall, the bike has a faster turning front end, but the rear does not turn as fast. The PST2 allows the GS to drop in quickly with less resistance at the rear compared to the CRA3. It's bit like a motorboat with the CRA3 - not uncomfortably so, but quite different compared to the PST2 which feels more agile and sporting.

One thing, however, is that the CRA3 is a super smooth tyre - it has a rounder/more consistent rate of turn compared to the PST2. Had a couple of minor slips under harder throttle in the bends, but will put that down to it being new... traction skin or not, the rubber needs a heat cycle or two and the top layer to be scrubbed off. So the jury is still out. The CRA3 just feels different - certainly not as sporting as the PST2.

Follow up. Did 150miles today over my favourite roads on the CRA3.

So... who wants a set of CRA3 with 175 miles on them? Going back to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s. The CRA3 does not have the same grip or clearance as the PST2. I’m running the CRA3 to the edges and had a few slippery moments on the same roads that the PST2 never lacks grip on and easily has an extra 1-2cm of chicken strips. CRA3 is smooth and stable, and might be fine for the majority of riders; but the PST2 is sportier, grippier, and more confidence inspiring - at least in the dry.

If you’re a fair weather rider, maybe the RA3’s aren’t for you then. I’ve had mine on the edges in the dry, and have pressed on in the rain with them, with no complaints at all.

If you’re a fair weather rider, maybe the RA3’s aren’t for you then. I’ve had mine on the edges in the dry, and have pressed on in the rain with them, with no complaints at all.

I’m not a fair weather rider and ride in all conditions. The PST2s are brilliant in the rain too (you may remember that they scored 1st for wet weather performance amongst adventure tarmac tyres in 2016/17 in the Motorrad test).
I think we’re talking percentiles here. The CRA3 is a very good tyre and certainly can be ridden safely, faster and harder than most will ever need. But if you enjoy sportsbike-like performance from your tyres, I think the PST2 offers more and is more confidence inspiring in terms of feel and grip when leant over. My findings weren’t my expectation and I had high hopes for the CRA3; but the new Conti offering hasn’t met them.

Haven’t tried the Metz Roadtec01 and maybe they’re worth trying too. Otherwise will just go back to PST2s for now.

Follow up. Did 150miles today over my favourite roads on the CRA3.

So... who wants a set of CRA3 with 175 miles on them? Going back to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s. The CRA3 does not have the same grip or clearance as the PST2. I’m running the CRA3 to the edges and had a few slippery moments on the same roads that the PST2 never lacks grip on and easily has an extra 1-2cm of chicken strips. CRA3 is smooth and stable, and might be fine for the majority of riders; but the PST2 is sportier, grippier, and more confidence inspiring - at least in the dry.

If you were closer I would snap them up.
Got to assume the Pirelli is in a different league to the gen 1 Scorpion Trail, mine (gen 1) were well fucked and dangerous after 2000miles on a Multistrada. Very good tyres when new, shite with some miles on.
I did 3000 miles on the KTM 1290 in varying conditions last year on an Alps tour: on a very hot day, when pushed I could make them slide a bit, but they never let go. In the wet, lets just say the other riders were embarrassed.
Is the gen 2 a different profile to gen 1? Because gen 1 had no chicken strips either.

Clearance problems ? Like what? Toe sliders and pegs go down with Michelin road 3, Annakkee shite and CRA3.....

If you were closer I would snap them up.
Got to assume the Pirelli is in a different league to the gen 1 Scorpion Trail, mine (gen 1) were well fucked and dangerous after 2000miles on a Multistrada. Very good tyres when new, shite with some miles on.
I did 3000 miles on the KTM 1290 in varying conditions last year on an Alps tour: on a very hot day, when pushed I could make them slide a bit, but they never let go. In the wet, lets just say the other riders were embarrassed.
Is the gen 2 a different profile to gen 1? Because gen 1 had no chicken strips either.

Clearance problems ? Like what? Toe sliders and pegs go down with Michelin road 3, Annakkee shite and CRA3.....

PST2 is a completely different tyre and different league compared to the 1st generation. PST2 has a new carcass, new compound, and new tread. The flatter touring profile of the CRA3 simply means you’re running on the edges far sooner than the PST2, and there is less contact area when leant over. The CRA3 runs out of grip far earlier.

For fast road riding solo, I often ride in solo+luggage to get more clearance which works well. Otherwise toes are prone. Wish there was an option to switch to race shift on the GS.

No disrespect, it sounds like you might be going harder than me, but run mine 2 up, dynamic. Otherwise pegs and toes are down regular. 2014 bike was the same. Would have thought clearance is bike/suspension setting/weight of rider/position of pegs related, and not tyre related. Simple geometry that tyres will not change.

Obviously hitting edge of tyre is related to profile of tyre, ground clearance though? Go back to suspension setup etc. Otherwise sport bikes (like my 1098) would not have aftermarket rear sets, we would just change tyres.

Also, getting to the edge, but not off it, is not reducing contact area. With some profiles getting to the edge is increasing contact area. Lot of crap talked about having some chicken strip left for safety margin. If its not fried 'off' the edge, its not an issue.

Adjusting the suspension to 1+luggage raises the back (and therefore the pegs etc) and gives more physical clearance. The profile shape of the tyre is important in terms of contact. The PST2 has a higher crown on its profile, and when leant over offers a larger contact patch compared to the CRA3. This is also backed up by the CRA3 being run to the edge whereas the PST2 still has excess rubber to offer grip where the CRA3 has already run out.

It's the same effect when running a taller 55 or 60 profile tyre instead of a 50 on the rear of a sportsbike - you are increasing the radial circumference of the tyre at its furthest point. The bike will sit taller at the back. Adjustable rearsets will help further and more dramatically than just increasing the profile of a tyre which has its own set of limitations.

Gone hard core

Well ... maybe not ... but they look good on my GSA ...Pirelli Rally STR

Let’s see how they perform on French road trip :thumb2

Scared me a little

So after nearly 150 miles of mixed roads and gravel on these STR tyres yesterday, thought I would try 14 miles of my favourite road.... B5105 .. cerrigydrudion to Ruthin ...now I know this road very well and ride it hard :green gri..... and only ever see my traction light flicker occasionally.... but with these it’s almost constantly on !! And on one corner ...a big moment.

So my question is .. tyre pressures ... any suggestions for a single rider no luggage ?

My current feelings are .... front end is very light and vague ... and neither tyre likes white lines :eek:

Hope these settle down or they will have to go

How the hell can you review a set of tyres after 3 bloody miles? :blast

I’ve done over 3k miles on the Road Attack 3’s, in ALL weathers (including snow) and road conditions, and I can say with confidence that they’re the best tyres I’ve ever had on a bike.

Sheesh, 3 miles. :blast

Must be related to TMF, he can make judgements on handling after a few roundabouts.

I would have, but told not yet available in GS sizes. Hope its not another example of my dealer being rubbish.

looks like the weird wear on the edge of the front tyre should be a thing of the past with the re design.

Pirelli scorpion STR ... it’s been an interesting ride.

Well that’s been a challenging 3000 miles.will be very glad to get back on something more road biased. When they were new they were almost dangerous... slipping and sliding about ... thank god for traction control .. and not just a couple of hundred miles, well over a thousand before they settled a bit. As a matter of fact there better now but I can’t live with them for another trip.
The one thing I really like ... is how they look ... they really suit a GSA... but that’s not a good enough reason to keep them.
Back too tyres that don’t have my traction light flashing ... even on a straight, dry road .. on acceleration.

Beware of there stunning looks unless you need off road tyres (which they are fantastic at ).

So what to fit next !

Michelin Road 5 trail are announced for August, might be worth the wait, or the 50 pence question, what are your real needs, I know the A3,s do me fine at the moment, but will change when they are done, just to see something else.

Back
Top Bottom