New tyres

Yes the new Michelin are the ones I’m waiting for ... had the 4s before but never get more than 2000 miles ... maybe it’s time to slow down a bit ;)

I had A41s fitted about 300 miles ago, on Bahnstormer's recommendation. So far, so good. Quiet and grippy in the dry, seemed ok in the one wet half hour they've seen, although I was being very gentle with them, having not ridden on them in the wet before, being on an unknown road and with a month or more's worth of oil, deisel and other shite having been brought to the surface.

There must be something wrong with the tires,tire pressure or rider...;)
The Pirelli ST2 are definitely very good tires and probably the longest lasting for the LC-GS but the Conti RA3 are even better for fast road riding with a slight mileage penalty...:thumb2
A flatter tire on the rear has nothing to do with quick or slow steering as the rear follows the front !
And after 175 miles depending how fast you ride can use a few more miles to be properly scrubbed in.
For road riding the Pirelli is probably the better one because of how long they last.
But for a trackday I definitely would put the Conti RA3 on the GS because currently it is the sportiest tire as in quick steering,sticky and stable available in 19/17 sizes...

I needed a new tyre on the back during a recent Spain trip.
Had an A41 fitted, keeping the PR4 on the front.
Handling is just as good as before, although the A41 seems to be a stiffer carcass so the ride feels a bit harder.
So far it has done 2600 miles, 1100 with a pillion and has 6mm left in the centre and hasn't flattened off..
I'm impressed so far.

I needed a new tyre on the back during a recent Spain trip.
Had an A41 fitted, keeping the PR4 on the front.
Handling is just as good as before, although the A41 seems to be a stiffer carcass so the ride feels a bit harder.
So far it has done 2600 miles, 1100 with a pillion and has 6mm left in the centre and hasn't flattened off..
I'm impressed so far.

Ta for that useful first hand info, stiffer probably to get the miles they claim.

You guys must be crazy running mixed manufacturers tires and then recommend tires based on this...:eek:
Only in a emergency in Timbuktu I would do this !
It is safe to say that Bridgestone never made good tires for boxers because they wear the sides way before the middle is gone...:(
And the newer Michelins are slow steering and tend to let go without warning which can be exiting...:p
I would go PST2 as a good street tire that is fun to ride and lasts long.
For a track day CRA3.
If you do a little dirt without too much penalty on the street CTKC70.
And if you really do dirt as in sand/mud CTKC80...

tyre pressures on most bikes make a fair difference to handling.on the triumph part of this site i said my brother's tiger 800 felt dead, he informed me that when he got home he discovered the front tyre was 3lbs light on pressure. i know i'm telling most folk on here how to suck eggs. :D

Any latest updates on the A41,s

They are plenty good enough for me. I'm not a fast rider, nor do I explore the limits of handling, although I do ride quite enthusiastically and they feel good and have given me no moments of concern.

They are plenty good enough for me. I'm not a fast rider, nor do I explore the limits of handling, although I do ride quite enthusiastically and they feel good and have given me no moments of concern.

Cheers for that as I am in betwwen either trying the A41,s or the new Michelin Road 5 trail, still not decided yet as still have life in Anakee 3,s

Cheers for that as I am in betwwen either trying the A41,s or the new Michelin Road 5 trail, still not decided yet as still have life in Anakee 3,s

I am in exactly this position. I think I’m going to give the Bridgestones a try. I am coming from Avon trailriders which have been okay but I fancy something different.

I am in exactly this position. I think I’m going to give the Bridgestones a try. I am coming from Avon trailriders which have been okay but I fancy something different.

Yep always nice to try something else, gives something to compare with, and products evolve so newer should in theory be better.

Just posted this on another thread in this forum:

Just fitted R5T to my 1150GSA having had Conti TA2 for the last 8,000 miles.

Only had them on for 300 miles so far so still early days but the R5T are a lot more neutral than the TA2, they need positive input for cornering but that effort is constant at all lean angles (achieved so far). Haven't used them in the rain yet so can't comment on wet grip and stopping distances. Strangely, the R5T don't heat up as much as the TA2 despite the sipes and the heavier pressures (36/42 for the R5T against 35/38 TA2)

One thing I can say, they are noticeably better than the PR3 which is the last Michelin tyre I used and they were on a mkII TDM850. I hated the PR3, it felt like the tyre was constantly moving around, I guess because of the sipes. The R5T feel more solid.

A41`S

Don`t know much about tyres, but after reading some of the comments on here went for the A41`s, just got back from over 2000 miles around europe 2 up and fully loaded luggage wise, temp up to 37c and down to 12c and wet no issues at all and no squaring off which did happen last year after a similar trip on the Anakee`s.

Put a set of Trailsmart Max's on the LC prior to my holiday as the Anakee 3's were over 1/2 worn by 2200 miles , the TM's felt initially very similar to the Avon Trailriders but are proving to be a damned sight longer lasting .

The rear Avon Trailrider on the last GSA was down to 3.5 mm after less than 3000 miles , and the previous Dunlop TR91's on my old r1200gsa tc were also fast wearing , however, after 2500 miles the Trailsmart Max on the rear of the LC is still at 6.9mm and showing zero signs of squaring off.

They have proved excellent in 34 degree heat in the Alps and also performed very well in 15 degrees and 5 hours of biblical rain through Belgium last thursday

Don`t know much about tyres, but after reading some of the comments on here went for the A41`s, just got back from over 2000 miles around europe 2 up and fully loaded luggage wise, temp up to 37c and down to 12c and wet no issues at all and no squaring off which did happen last year after a similar trip on the Anakee`s.

Now that is really good first hand info, just what I was hoping to hear........:D

Put a set of Trailsmart Max's on the LC prior to my holiday as the Anakee 3's were over 1/2 worn by 2200 miles , the TM's felt initially very similar to the Avon Trailriders but are proving to be a damned sight longer lasting .

The rear Avon Trailrider on the last GSA was down to 3.5 mm after less than 3000 miles , and the previous Dunlop TR91's on my old r1200gsa tc were also fast wearing , however, after 2500 miles the Trailsmart Max on the rear of the LC is still at 6.9mm and showing zero signs of squaring off.

They have proved excellent in 34 degree heat in the Alps and also performed very well in 15 degrees and 5 hours of biblical rain through Belgium last thursday

Are you riding 2 up Neil........or fully loaded. :D

Are you riding 2 up Neil........or fully loaded. :D

Anakee 3's were solo use in the UK , both the Avons and the new Dunlops were two up with luggage with a mixture of highish speed Autobahn use and sticking to speed limits on rural roads in Belgium,Germany and Austria

Anakee 3's were solo use in the UK , both the Avons and the new Dunlops were two up with luggage with a mixture of highish speed Autobahn use and sticking to speed limits on rural roads in Belgium,Germany and Austria

Ta for that, the picture is clearer now, so Michelin road 5 trail or A41 will be the dilemma soon..........:D

Back
Top Bottom