bmw s1000xr chain issues

My mates 67 plateXR chain, less than 4K miles. Serviced by dealers rode home parked in garage left couple of weeks,as he works away. When he saw this he contacted the dealer who said, “that doesn’t look too bad”. Contacted BMWuk who basically don’t care, they want a report from the dealer, who mate mate is not happy with.

The dealer will say that when the bike came in the chain was as dry as the Pope's jock strap.

Suck it up and move on.

The dealer will say that when the bike came in the chain was as dry as the Pope's jock strap.

Suck it up and move on.

But they also serviced the chain, that’s his issue with them. He cleaned it and lubed it,BMW recommended,after a run out. 2 days later rusty as fuck again. He’s left it now back to dealers this week for them to asses it.

In light of the above, he’s had a right up and downer with dealers and BMW, BMW have told him chains have never been replaced on the XR under warranty. Given the above threads I think they are lying bastards. The dealer has now agreed to have the bike in to clean and lubricate to their standard and see how it goes. His chain looks worse now than in the pics.

Perhaps matey boy should have oiled said chain before parking the bike up after riding on salted roads.
At what point does the owner need to take responsibility?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Perhaps matey boy should have oiled said chain before parking the bike up after riding on salted roads.
At what point does the owner need to take responsibility?

He’s fully aware of maintenance, owned bikes 30+years, knows what he’s doing. The chain in pics was AFTER DEALER service ridden home, 40 miles and parked up. NOT ridden on salted roads because no salting been done around here since last year.

It's the dealers I feel sorry for.

I think it’s more down to BMW using inferior quality products, as we’ve seen on the GS, on a money saving drive. The dealers get the brunt of it.

If your pal lubed the chain after getting it back from service, then I would have to guess that there was an aggressive cleaner left on the chain prior to lubing.

The Regina chain supplied with the bike really is cheap-as-chips, so it maybe takes very little to get it to corrode.

I am Anal with chains
The first chain on my XR was replaced under warranty as it rusted very badly despite my chain cleaning regime ( every 500 miles) and lubing after every ride. It was the side plates that were very bad. The chain that BMW use on these is no doubt cheapened down to the least ammount of money possible.

Having said all that the next chain was fine and i did not have to adjust it in 10K

So

Firstly if you are adjusting it regularly ( more than just between tyre changes) then it is possible that you are over doing it and possibly too tight ( my rule is that once they need adjusting more than between tyre changes they need changing)

Secondly the stock adjustment guides on the XR are, quite frankly, fucking useless so maybe invest in the HP version that are much more accurate and better looking.

They are quite a loose, by that i mean plenty of sag in the chain, so dont be fooled. The play i need in the Hypermotard is huge as an example and it looks way too slack when it isnt moving

How did I miss this :nenau Glad it got a bump, at least the Ducati never had a chain issue.........:D

Back
Top Bottom