Wanted ,para Gs

Got the heads all built ready for fitting next week.
New guides,valves ,springs and collets.
Also the customer wanted the bike twin plugging,which has been expertly taken care of by mistacat.
Cracking job:thumby:

Attachments

• AA3DAB1C-C18F-4103-BAA7-C5C9D61B1521.jpg
    AA3DAB1C-C18F-4103-BAA7-C5C9D61B1521.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 409
  • B2884609-2C26-4937-88F1-B4757DDB56EE.jpg
    B2884609-2C26-4937-88F1-B4757DDB56EE.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 416
  • 08968970-A67B-4A9F-A2FA-E3615E26CE0F.jpg
    08968970-A67B-4A9F-A2FA-E3615E26CE0F.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 415
I wasn't a great fan of twin plugging until I actually bought a 1000 cc G/S which was twin plugged.
With a stock ignition retarded a few degrees it was a vibratory slug, fitting a Boyer Micro power twin plug system and getting the the timing right fixed that, and it now pulls strongly from 60 km/hr in top.
Don't know what the timing ended up at, as I cant see the mark!
Seems like Boyer have the best twin plug curve, and the system including coils is cheaper than most alternatives which don't included coils.
The plugs nominated on the head run a little cool on my bike, I have had spacers made up so I can run hotter long reach plugs as hot short reach plugs are hard to find!

I wasn't a great fan of twin plugging until I actually bought a 1000 cc G/S which was twin plugged.
With a stock ignition retarded a few degrees it was a vibratory slug, fitting a Boyer Micro power twin plug system and getting the the timing right fixed that, and it now pulls strongly from 60 km/hr in top.
Seems like Boyer have the best twin plug curve, and the system including coils is cheaper than most alternatives which don't included coils.
The plugs nominated on the head run a little cool on my bike, I have had spacers made up so I can run hotter long reach plugs as hot short reach plugs are hard to find!
I’ll be fitting a seimens ignition “bean can” with dyna coils and Taylor leads.
I’m going to refit the standard 40mm bings to start with,possibly upgrading to dellorto’s in the future

I just recommended the secondary plugs that I run in mine (mainly to give the thread length etc). I run an AFR as close to 13.8 as I can and they seem fine.
They are after all just a starting point.

13.8 is too weak to aim for on a air cooled bike in the Oz heat, particularly on a off road bike.
My approach is to tune the carbs to a point where the bike performs best, andis on the rich side of the optimum golden plugs - I dont see any point in aiming for some notional optimum value, which is just plain wrong for a air cooled bike.
FWIW you are confusing the AFR which gives the most power on a test bed with the correct ratio for a air cooled off road bike, and the are not the same.
Still does 20km/l , pulls like a train from everywhere and I haven't had to adjust the valves in 200,000 km so it works for me.
And that Siemens ignition is the Emerald isle job with analog advance like the first MK3 Boyer, so wont work any better than knocking the ignition back a few degrees on a stock system.

Fortunately I am not in OZ.
My airhead is only used for pottering around on road, should I need more performance then I take out a more suitable bike.
I am not confusing Test bed AFR as I use 2 bosch wide band lambda sensors in the header pipes hooked up to an Innovate motor sport LM2 data logger to measure the AFR as real time values on the road at settings that my bike seems happy at.

Sounds good, what sort of carb /air filter/ manifold/ exhaust set up do you have and what have you ended up with in respect of jets, needles,clip position, float level, slide springs, etc, etc have you ended up with?
Of have you connected the sensors, etc , to a full injection system so that they actually do something?
And what about head temperature? if you run on the edge of leanness you should really know about that too.

Back
Top Bottom