Baggy side stand

NicD

Reaction score
Side stand has a lot of play where it bolts through the frame. If I don't want to live with it, is my only option to buy a new stand?

Have searched forum but not found other posts on this - apologies if I missed something obvious. Thanks so much

Fitting new bolts may help but if the holes are worn as well it will be a bit harder to fix as it may not be possible to go up a bolt size. Away from bike at the moment so can't have a look at mine but I'm sure someone else will have also had the same issue and found a fix.

Al.

I bought a new side stand spindle bolt and frame bushings for mine a few years back. It made hardly any difference, I'd say save your money.

rtkm4m.png

You could try a new number 3

or see this solution by our Arkwright :beerjug:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/375497-Side-Stand-Lateral-Play/page2

Check underneath bracket where the stand bolts onto for a stress fracture crack . I had the same problem as you and on installing new bolt and bush I spotted the stress fracture.
Cheers
Dub 24

The stand pivots on bushes held in place by counter sunk screws. They need to be done up correctly so you'll need the appropriate Torx bit and open ended spanner to check.

The return spring is pulled into place with a long M6 screw so slacken that off before pulling the stand off the bike.

Thanks for responses. I think the two prongs at top of stand that fit around the frame mount have bent over the years. Hence new bush and bolt is not going to fix it. Options are replace stand itself, heat and bend prongs back to parallel (which I am loathe to do as will weaken it and I don't want to return to bike on its side), or fit some kind of spacer to take up the slack. If anyone else has found a fix for this would be great to know. Cheers

The stand pivots on bushes held in place by counter sunk screws. They need to be done up correctly so you'll need the appropriate Torx bit and open ended spanner to check.

The return spring is pulled into place with a long M6 screw so slacken that off before pulling the stand off the bike.

Sorry for this bollox - I was thinking about the centre stand.

The side stand clevis wears so the only fix likely to reduce any bagginess are shim washers of some sort. Unfortunately, the clevis wont have worm parallel so it's not a perfect solution.

Heating and bending the clevis should not weaken it - ordinary steel will be fine. But how much bending is enough? It would be hit & miss - literally.

I suspect the only reliable fix is to have the clevis machined parallel and then use shim washers either side to take up the space. On a positive note - the packing washers can later be replaced when worn.

Sorry for this bollox - I was thinking about the centre stand.

The side stand clevis wears so the only fix likely to reduce any bagginess are shim washers of some sort. Unfortunately, the clevis wont have worm parallel so it's not a perfect solution.

Heating and bending the clevis should not weaken it - ordinary steel will be fine. But how much bending is enough? It would be hit & miss - literally.

I suspect the only reliable fix is to have the clevis machined parallel and then use shim washers either side to take up the space. On a positive note - the packing washers can later be replaced when worn.

Has anyone had any success with packing washers ? Looking at other threads this seems to be the best way forward as new bolts/ bush doesn’t seem to work. Any help on sourcing such washers ?

Depending on year

Bushed bolt

or

Shanked bolt and 2 small expensive metal bushes that sit in the side stand itself

about £14 odd each !

Depending on how worn the bolt and bushes are, you may not as some have said, see any improvement

I'd start with the bolt and see what imrovement that gives.

And dont loose the tiny C clip ;)

Back
Top Bottom