Michellin Road5 tyres?

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone tried these and could give feed back? I have a 1200 GSA and looking to change my tyres. I use the bike on the road only so after good grip in the wet and dry.

TA:beerjug:

Just ordered a set myself, had road pilot 4 and absolutely no complaints with regard to wet weather grip although they do step a bit when they wear. Apparently the road 5 after 3000 miles is as good as the pilot 4 when brand new. Off on a 3000 mile jolly in a fortnight so will know better when return from Europland.

Just fitted a Road 5 trail to the rear of my GSA yesterday, it was £125 from DemonTweeks via eBay (plus £10 fitting cost at my local tyre fitters).

I'm also off on a foreign trip next week so hope they are at least as good as the PR4 Trail it replaces. (I found the PR4's absolutely brilliant wet or dry.)

Off out tomorrow to scrub it in and avoid the wedding coverage, and give the bike a pre-trip shakedown.

Just fitted a Road 5 trail to the rear of my GSA yesterday, it was £125 from DemonTweeks via eBay (plus £10 fitting cost at my local tyre fitters).

I'm also off on a foreign trip next week so hope they are at least as good as the PR4 Trail it replaces. (I found the PR4's absolutely brilliant wet or dry.)

Off out tomorrow to scrub it in and avoid the wedding coverage, and give the bike a pre-trip shakedown.

I'd be interested in your feedback on the pr5. I'm on my 2nd set of PR4s ( first set did 8k with life still in the front, and 2nd set up to 6k) and will be looking to replace them next couple of months. Alan

Alan,
I have just been out on my favourite country lanes scrubbing in the new rear tyre and it is just like the PR4 in the dry, maybe even a bit better. Still got a low miles PR4 on the front so can’t comment about turn in rates or front end feel.

Rear PR5 has superb grip, quiet, stable and reassuring and feel a bit quicker edge to edge (maybe I’m just used to my squared off rear though to be honest).

Can’t comment about wet performance yet but they are reportedly a measurable improvement over PR4 for wet riding so no worries there from me.

I was looking for another rear PR4Trail thinking they’d be cheaper and matched but couldn’t find any so went for new rear Road5 Trail and I’m very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan,
I have just been out on my favourite country lanes scrubbing in the new rear tyre and it is just like the PR4 in the dry, maybe even a bit better. Still got a low miles PR4 on the front so can’t comment about turn in rates or front end feel.

Rear PR5 has superb grip, quiet, stable and reassuring and feel a bit quicker edge to edge (maybe I’m just used to my squared off rear though to be honest).

Can’t comment about wet performance yet but they are reportedly a measurable improvement over PR4 for wet riding so no worries there from me.

I was looking for another rear PR4Trail thinking they’d be cheaper and matched but couldn’t find any so went for new rear Road5 Trail and I’m very pleased with it.

Hi Adam, I spoke to the Michelin rep. at the Excel show and he told me they would continue to make the PR4, but you have to wonder whether that will be the case. I've never had a moments concern in the wet with the PR4s, even streaming cross currents gave no concern. Looks like I'll go for the 5 in the autumn - unless someone comes up with a -ve of course, cheers Alan

Anyone tried these and could give feed back? I have a 1200 GSA and looking to change my tyres. I use the bike on the road only so after good grip in the wet and dry.

TA:beerjug:

I don’t think Michelin have ever made a tyre that was worse than the outgoing one.....

Give them a try

My only negative criticism of PR4 is the front tyre profile which makes steering slow and heavy and dulls feedback. I prefer a more nimble feel.

I hope once I need a front Road5 Trail to replace my PR4 they have improved this.

Forgot to add that my Road5 is made in Spain whereas PR4 was made in France so different manufacturing facilities.

Just fitted Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres on my GS ....and wow they feel fantastic.. like you are stuck to the tarmac.. lovely quick smooth turnin.. and so quiet...

Yes in 110/80 R19 59V size, about £110 RRP

I have them on the MT09 and while it's obviously a completely different bike, I can tell you they're great. Quite, grip everywhere, etc... I'll recommend!

Currently in Pamplona, 800 miles in so far with the Road 5 Trail rear tyre. Been to the edge of both sides of the rear tyre on wet roads in the Picos, no issues with grip and plenty of feel. They are a very good tyre for the GSA.

Have Road 5s on my 2010 GSA. Am very happy with them so far. Quick to warm up and very stable when pushed in a fast bumpy corner.

Am going to Picos / Pyrenees in a weeks time so that should be a good test for them.

Have Road 5s on my 2010 GSA. Am very happy with them so far. Quick to warm up and very stable when pushed in a fast bumpy corner.

Am going to Picos / Pyrenees in a weeks time so that should be a good test for them.
Did you ship to Bilbao with Overlanders or are you getting the new ferry?

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom