Serious thick smoke.

Noddy

Some sort of clique thing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
R100, used locally in town for MOT early April, standing till 7th May, no problem starting up and 60/70 mile run out, pulling like a train.

Return home, fuel off coming down the lane as usual, back in to the garage and on its side stand with a block of wood underneath the stand to hold it just a fraction off level, as usual.

Pull it out this afternoon for a run around in the sunshine and start it up. Fires up ok but with a slight misfire on right hand cylinder........

Then suddenly thick, very thick grey smoke from the the right silencer and a small amount from the left, more even thicker smoke from the front cross over tube on the exhaust. Slowly cleared and the engine ran sweetly. Went out for a spin and alls fine, poping and banging from the right cylinder on small throttle openings in slow traffic. Bit bloody annoying but other than that all ok.

Left to cool down and and checked the oil level, fraction under the full level, so ok. Disconnected the fuel lines to check that off was off, no problem no leaks.

The boss said that like me, she had never seen smoke like it other than on an old diesel tractor starting up in the coldest of winter.

Any ideas from the knowledgeable collective ????????

Well, you'll have to wait for the knowledgeable collective to come along but fwiw
when my Guzzi does that, it's a blocked breather clearing itself - mine loves to make the little spring loaded ball at the end of a breather pipe rust in place (no - i have no idea why :nenau ) causing a build up of pressure that releases violently - bit like an unexpected wet fart :eek.
(i also suspect it allows oil on the clutch plate / but have no proof :mad: )
ANYhow, Good Luck and i hope it's that simple. :thumb2

Its proly the 75th anniv option kicking in,

Lots of thick smoke to confuse the lancs of your location ;)

valve stem oil seal ? only hting i could thnink of

Smoke from the crossover suggests a air leak there, which might explain the popping and banging.
A fouled plug might be causing the missfire.
Stuck / blocked breather as already suggested is a possibility, either open or closed, and perhaps something on the carb float valve seat which flooded the carb before being washed away.
Have you tried another start since?

Got the bike out today, oil level ok, reconnected the fuel lines and she started fine, no smoke or other problems till I noticed that the oil light was on and flickering as I revved the engine. Bit of swearing etc bought the Boss out, she took one look and disappeared back indoors.

Came out again with my glasses and a miracle happened, as soon as I put them on the oil light changed into a generator light. :blast:blast

Thanks for your suggestions and help, problem seems to have been a one off. Bike performed ok in the sun yet again.

Back
Top Bottom