Jacking point

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is the std baseplate strong enough to jack the bike ( 2011 gsa ) up to remove the wheel .or where is the best place to raise the front

The centre stand almost perfectly balances the bike so put a board under it and jack away.
Even better put the stand on some 3x2 to give more space under the front wheel when it’s jacked or otherwise supported under the bash plate.
I use two pieces. Put bike on centre stand then tilt sideways and kick a block under one side. Go around the other side and repeat.
Obviously don’t go mad on timber thickness. ;)

Yes can do that to get the extra height but where do you place the jack to raise the front end

Under the skid plate with a bit of wood between the jack and plate to protect it as per Bendy's first paragraph.

As bendy said, jack under skid plate, i have one with rubber pad, it doesnt carry much weight when on centre stand,

The original question did ask if the skid plate was ok to jack under. I said, "put a board under it and jack away". :)

*** OLD THREAD ALERT!!!! ***​

Sorry all, suffering a bit of insecurity here and after some reassurance :comfort. Can anyone confirm please...does the above advice apply equally to the 1200lc's bashplate? I'm just after raising the front wheel a couple of inches to aid wheel removal, and was intending to do exactly as Bendy toy mentions. Will be putting the spindle back in afterwards on a couple of axle stands.

Don't want to find out the hard way that the bashplate or its mountings aren't up to it!!

Thanks in advance :p

*** OLD THREAD ALERT!!!! ***​

Sorry all, suffering a bit of insecurity here and after some reassurance :comfort. Can anyone confirm please...does the above advice apply equally to the 1200lc's bashplate? I'm just after raising the front wheel a couple of inches to aid wheel removal, and was intending to do exactly as Bendy toy mentions. Will be putting the spindle back in afterwards on a couple of axle stands.

Don't want to find out the hard way that the bashplate or its mountings aren't up to it!!

Thanks in advance :p

It’s called a bashplate ... it’s to protect the sump from rocks etc so using it to jack up the bike isn’t a problem.

Pretty much as I thought /hoped but there's a lot of form over function on modern bikes so thought it worth an ask. Surely better to do so than find out the hard way?

Was an absolute piece of piss in the end. So little weight goes through the jack because the centre stand is pretty much right on the balance point... I jacked it up a tiny bit under the bashplate, front wheel off, front spindle back in with an axle stand under it, rear wheel off and another axle stand under the rear suspension link...wheels to the wonderful Fins motorcycles to swap tyres then everything back together again. No worries about some monkey over torquing bolts and a nice warm fuzzy feeling from a job well done. Magic :D

In my case, wheels off and over to Cotters! I do like to do the job myself, very good time to look at brakes and wheel bearings, rear brake disk mounting spider...

Thanks again to Phil Gunne for supplying the jack, it is rock solid!

Attachments

• R1200GSA Wheels Off.jpg
    R1200GSA Wheels Off.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 130

Back
Top Bottom