Centre stand spring removal advice

Sunny Jim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am in the process of returning my '05 GSA to standard having put 1150 Ohlins on it, along with accompanying 1150 centre stand, as it was always a tad too high for me.

I'm now all those years older too and haven't got the strength to pull the springs holding the centre stand ... so, does anyone have any advice or techniques to offer, please ?

A ratchet strap wrapped around the rear wheel. You can use a little S hook on the end of the spring.

as above, and have you considered this :D

Attachments

• bullworker.jpg
    bullworker.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 428
If you can bend the spring and insert 2p coins in each loop, that’ll provide a useful
extension.

Thank you Pat and Oldrat ... Al you're gonna gerrit after school :D:D:D:beerjug:

Use the centre stand as a lever ie fix the springs to the stand and the frame before using the stand as a lever to line up the pivot holes to get the pivot bolts in, similarly to remove take out the pivot bolts and do it in reverse

The springs are easier to get on when the stand is extended (ie in the down position) as opposed to when it is in the up position as the stretch is smaller then

This as seen below but you still have to muscle is off. Locking vicegrip pliers work fine for that.

DSC_0127_zpsf3i4bn4x.jpg

This as seen below but you still have to muscle is off. Locking vicegrip pliers work fine for that.

DSC_0127_zpsf3i4bn4x.jpg

Dear oh dear oh dear.. This is hilerious, Please someone tell me this is wind up.

I use a straightened out wire coat hanger, bent in half and hooked over the end of the spring. Pull the spring onto to the stop - gives you ample leverage.

Steppers will now reveal he can do it whilst the bike is in motion... :D

When i did mine on the XR ( when i fitted the rear sets) it was a bastard of a thing and i ened up having to manufacture a T shaped spring puller with a hook at the end from some steel i had knocking about and then my dad and me pulled at it like fuck

Got the little fecker!

On the centre stand and using £2.00 coins to stretch the main spring, then take it off centre stand and leaning it onto the sidestand, I was able to 'play' mole-grips with the tips of each spring to lever them over the retaining lug.

Thanks for your advice one and all :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom