Spark plug removal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandoallan

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Midway through finally servicing my bike, started today and did not receive my spark plug plastic cover/ coil removal tool in the post. Anyone got any ideas how I can remove these with a screwdriver or similar??? Or maybe a lump hammer??????

Cheers...:beer:

Two screwdrivers is what some bods use, but be gentle, as a new coil is very expensive.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with more details.

First of all, when you remove the plug with cable, DO NOT try to lift the locking tab on the coil that holds the plug. Use a smal screwdriver and push the plug towards the sylinder and backwards at the same time. If you even attempt to lift the tab IT WILL BREAK.
The shoe lace is a splendid idea, and if its too thick, try with several turns of dental floss, and pull the coil outwards while you simultaneosly wiggles it by hand.

Avoid if at all possible to touch the coil with any tools other than the dedicated puller (that you are waiting for) as the plastic material in the coil is VERY BRITTLE.

First of all, when you remove the plug with cable, DO NOT try to lift the locking tab on the coil that holds the plug. Use a smal screwdriver and push the plug towards the sylinder and backwards at the same time. If you even attempt to lift the tab IT WILL BREAK.
The shoe lace is a splendid idea, and if its too thick, try with several turns of dental floss, and pull the coil outwards while you simultaneosly wiggles it by hand.

Avoid if at all possible to touch the coil with any tools other than the dedicated puller (that you are waiting for) as the plastic material in the coil is VERY BRITTLE.

That sounds like wise advice borne out of bitter experience?

I Used some braided string to remove mine,

Dont worry if you bust the locking tab off,

There consumable parts ;) you going to have to change them at some point :green gri

Many thanks All, going to try this now while I wait for an answer on my next thread regarding rear suspension.....

I Used some braided string to remove mine,

Dont worry if you bust the locking tab off,

There consumable parts ;) you going to have to change them at some point :green gri

Well, busting a coil doesn't mean you have to sell a kidney to break even.

But there is no need for breaking it if you do it properly.

You should NEVER touch the locking tab, and there is no need to either. The housing where the plug enters is partly open to the rear, so there is room for pushing the plug towards the sylinder enough the clear the locking tab.
While the coil stil works with a broken tab you will need som way of holding the plug, so if the tab is gone, you may use a tiny zip-tie. But why bother? There is plenty of space to undo the plug in the "right way" as not to breake the tab.

The dedicated tool is a very good help in order to pull the coil out. But also here you must be careful. There is a hole in the tool where you may enter a screwdriver. It is very important that the force implied is straight. Any twisting force may damage the coil.

It may sound like a hazel, but in reality it's a matter of doing the proper grips and you will never have to replace a coil.

Plugs out & back in with no issues using two screwdrivers and a bit of levering...

Next thread on an issue with valve clearances....

Thanks for the info on the plugs....:friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom