Bar risers on a gsa...how is the handling affected?

simon2wheeler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have fitted a 2" set of bar risers on my gsa lc. It feels that the cornering response is much less smooth and more aggressive. Is this the case or is it my imagination ?
Any thoughts and advice welcome.

I have the same on mine for off road. They did feel different to start with but your muscle memory will develop and it will feel normal once you’ve adjusted.

I have fitted a 2" set of bar risers on my gsa lc. It feels that the cornering response is much less smooth and more aggressive. Is this the case or is it my imagination ?

It’s all in your mind.

I've fitted them on my last 3 bikes, all I get is better control and comfort.

Did the bar risers increase the width of the handlebars which would increase the leverage for the effort? I guess not and by some magic you have managed to imagine things that does not exist. Ride the bike more and stop being paranoid.

Did the bar risers increase the width of the handlebars which would increase the leverage for the effort? I guess not and by some magic you have managed to imagine things that does not exist. Ride the bike more and stop being paranoid.

I guess although the bars haven't changed, the risers will have allowed a re-positioning of the rider's arms which in turn my have given more effective leverage over the bars. I think that is true in my case. Because I have a long torso I found my arms had to be fully extended before, now after fitting the risers my arms are less straight which I think gives more leverage and initially made the steering feel a bit lighter, though I quickly got used to it. The main benefit to me was changing the angle of my back so that a long ride no longer provokes an old back injury.

I have a bad back (or more a weak front that is now hurting my mid / lower back).. so I find myself sort of pushing forward to make my back more upright even curved back a tad IYKWIM..
do you think 45 deg risers would help with this.. I've tried holding the grips say 40mm back and it does feel better.. but if I put the bars there, does it become the norm and holding 40mm forward then feels better?.. could do with trying some I guess.. ones on E-bay for £20?.. anyone tried them

I have a bad back (or more a weak front that is now hurting my mid / lower back).. so I find myself sort of pushing forward to make my back more upright even curved back a tad IYKWIM..
do you think 45 deg risers would help with this.. I've tried holding the grips say 40mm back and it does feel better.. but if I put the bars there, does it become the norm and holding 40mm forward then feels better?.. could do with trying some I guess.. ones on E-bay for £20?.. anyone tried them

Yes - these are the ones I fitted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32mm-Fro...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Excellent quality, and bring the bars both up and back a substantial amount. This means I don't have to lean forward quite so much to reach down to the bars, and this changes the angle of my back just enough to avoid aggravating my back problem.

The only fitting issue I had was that the left side clutch line was just a bit tight on full lock. In reality it would probably never have caused a problem, but being a bit of a perfectionist I decided to re-route the cables and lines on both sides to be outside the fork - easily done by briefly releasing the stanchions and dropping them a couple of inches out of the yoke to pass the cables over them, before bolting them back in place. I also released the lines from their original zip ties which hold them towards the centre of the bike and instead tied them towards the outside so that they are less bent and flex as little as possible as the steering moves.

Fred

Yes - these are the ones I fitted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32mm-Fro...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Excellent quality, and bring the bars both up and back a substantial amount. This means I don't have to lean forward quite so much to reach down to the bars, and this changes the angle of my back just enough to avoid aggravating my back problem.

The only fitting issue I had was that the left side clutch line was just a bit tight on full lock. In reality it would probably never have caused a problem, but being a bit of a perfectionist I decided to re-route the cables and lines on both sides to be outside the fork - easily done by briefly releasing the stanchions and dropping them a couple of inches out of the yoke to pass the cables over them, before bolting them back in place. I also released the lines from their original zip ties which hold them towards the centre of the bike and instead tied them towards the outside so that they are less bent and flex as little as possible as the steering moves.

Fred

cheers.. will give them a try :rolllaugh

I’ve just fitted a pair of the EBay risers.
I too re-routed the cables outside the fork just to be on the safe side. They seemed almost at full stretch otherwise.
I found that the shorter of the 2 lengths of cap head screws provide where too short by about 5mm. They only engaged in the hole by about 3mm. Not enough.
I’ve yet to try them in anger but I feel sat more upright trying them out. Which is the result I wanted to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Wunderlich up and back risers (around £85) and have transferred them from GS to GSA. I put risers / backs on everything. Even when I had a S1000R! It's a no brainer!

I put the up and back on my 15 GS a couple of years back, and found it much more comfortable.

Just done 1,000 miles with Rox Risers (GS rather than GSA) - higher and further back. Very comfortable, I used to get a pain in between my shoulder blades. No impact on handling, even at high speed. I do notice you are sitting on your backside more, as your weight is not on the bars at all, so you do need a comfy seat and as I am sitting higher I have gone for a slightly larger screen

I’ve used both the wunderlich and the cheaper eBay copies, virtually identical and not worth paying the extra for the German product.
They don’t change the handling but they do improve the comfort in allowing me to have a bit of slack in my elbow joints instead of straight arms.

Back
Top Bottom