Thread: Mini Blaster still not working.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Mini Blaster still not working.

After getting advice on here in relation to wiring a FIAMM Miniblaster through a relay I did so...

I have 2 of them because I thought the first was faulty.

When I press the horn button the relay clicks and I get 12v at the horn. I have used the earth wire which was originally at the horn and also tried running a new one just in case.

I have changed the feed from the battery to 27a wire in case it’s too thin.

Horn doesn’t work and the fuse blows after a few goes or holding the button for more than 2 seconds. tried 10a fuses.

Both Horns works fine when I try directly from the battery... and as I said, getting 12v at the horn no problem...
    One make no noise at all and one seems to be trying to do something... kind of a quick popping sound.

What am I missing???

You haven't inadvertently wired an earth directly to the switched live feed from the relay have you ?

Does your relay have terminals 30. 85. 86 and 87?? Making sure that there are No letters after the numbers??

Terminal 30 Live "FUSED" feed

Terminal 87 Load +ve (Split in two! one wire to each of the new horns not in series!)

Terminal 85 Signal for relay (i.e. Horn Positive )

Terminal 86 Signal for relay (i.e. Horn Negative)

For the horns set up two new clean frame earths
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

That’s exactly what I did... just went out and double checked... I’m completely lost!

Iv just put back in the original horn, managed to solder in 2 wires to the original plug so I’m gaining up!

Try another relay?

Tom

Sounds like you have it wired incorrectly, do you have a volt meter to test you wiring?
    If so disconnect the horns
    1: test the live from your horn switch is actually activating the relay.[it should read 12v+ when pressed]
    2: Test you are getting a positive [live] from the relay to the horn wiring when your press the button [it should read 12v+ when pressed]
    3: Remove the live feed in-line fuse from the battery lead that you just installed and test live to the horns again [it should read zero] to ensure your not taking the live from the OEM bike wiring to power the horns [which sounds like what is happening]
    Caution : May stop suddenly

I gave up on this and the bike it traded now...

I was a qualified electrician in another life so I really was only checking.

It was definitely wired correctly, replaced fuse holders, relays etc. Unrated the wire.
    Got second and 3 Rd opinions... but still no go...

One if the mysteries of electricity!!!