Rear suspension removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandoallan

Reaction score
Morning All,

Another few quick questions this time regarding the suspension. I have removed both bolts on the rear suspension and the bottom bolt on the front for fitment of my new units next week. Rear swing arm is supported with the wheel off but the rear shock is not coming loose at the bottom mounting point, is there a collar at the bottom that requires removal and if so how?

I am about to remove the tank to access the top bolt on the front shock then that shock will be removed also, any tips on this?

:confused:Cheers All.

Morning All,

Another few quick questions this time regarding the suspension. I have removed both bolts on the rear suspension and the bottom bolt on the front for fitment of my new units next week. Rear swing arm is supported with the wheel off but the rear shock is not coming loose at the bottom mounting point, is there a collar at the bottom that requires removal and if so how?

I am about to remove the tank to access the top bolt on the front shock then that shock will be removed also, any tips on this?

Cheers All.
Hi there is a aluminium bushing holding bottom of the shock if you have something to push between shock and the swing arm try it ...or rubber mallet give it a little tap it will come out ...
if the new shock is slightly larger aluminium bush will have to be removed or pushed back... this could be tricky ... heat gun will help

Sent using my nokia 3210PRO ...shock absorber rebuilder...

Everything you need to know is HERE :beerjug:

Andres

Thanks, rear now out so just got an issue with the front now...

Have unbolted both ends on the front and am just wondering exactly what components to remove for the front Ohlins shock install (non ESA). I have not displaced any oil lines to the original shock at the moment as I wish to remove as much as possible with an aim of leaving the electrical connections only.

Any advice on exactly how much to unbolt as the Haynes manual is not that clear?????

Cheers.

I had to unbolt the ball joint to make enough room to drop the front shock down. It seemed the least work to make enough space. You don't have ESA so there are no electrical connections to worry about.

Thanks, rear now out so just got an issue with the front now...

Have unbolted both ends on the front and am just wondering exactly what components to remove for the front Ohlins shock install (non ESA). I have not displaced any oil lines to the original shock at the moment as I wish to remove as much as possible with an aim of leaving the electrical connections only.

Any advice on exactly how much to unbolt as the Haynes manual is not that clear?????

Cheers.

What with your valve clearance post I'm wondering have you had a birthday recently ? ... Has someone bought a tool kit as a present ?

For the front shock, remove the crash bars and plastic belt cover on the front of the engine, this'll give you enough space to wriggle the shock out through the bottom. You might need to draw the tank back an inch or so to get a good purchase on the top shock nut.

For the front shock, remove the crash bars and plastic belt cover on the front of the engine, this'll give you enough space to wriggle the shock out through the bottom. You might need to draw the tank back an inch or so to get a good purchase on the top shock nut.

An ESA will need more space. I removed the tank and plastics as well. It's not much more work and makes life a lot easier.

Front bars have been removed & tank has been moved back by a couple of inches, all plastics are off as well. Top nut is off but the thread on the top of the shock seems to be stopping me from pulling the shock out. I will remove the plastic belt cover and try again on Monday. Rear shock seemed relatively straight forward in comparison.

Thanks for the input from yourself & Bendy.

I suppose I should apologise to Steptoe.......I sometimes suffer from tourettes....:pullface

IME removeng the belt cover gives the extra angle needed for the shock to virtually fall out. No experience of ESA gubbins though.

Removed the belt cover and unbolted the whole ESA assembly from the frame, 5 bolts in total and one connector at the head stock. The whole thing came out easily in one hit.

Will fit a new belt & the Ohlins tomorrow then bolt everything else back on.

Many thanks to all for the advice thus far.

All complete yesterday, had a blast into work and back & the Ohlins are brilliant.....

Well worth the money, time & effort.

Many thanks to everyone that provided valuable input. :beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom