Advice on Valve clearances..

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandoallan

Reaction score
Evening All,

Just had a major day servicing my bike and also removing the old ESA units in preparation for fitment of a reconditioned pair of Ohilns (non ESA) in a week.

Carried out the valve clearances on the left cylinder with no issues, started on the RHS and the 2 no intake were fine but the 2 no exhaust were very tight indeed with absolutely no clearance at all. When I slacked off using the allen key the springs just took up the slack rather than leaving the little gap as the other valves had at the start. I looked at the design of the fixings and started to slacken off a couple of the fixings and tighten up another star drive fixing at the back slightly in an attempt to give more play at the front....Then re tightened everything again

Probably f...ked it right up now and may be in for a surprise at the end of next Monday when I start it up and take it for a ride.......

Any advice before I actually start it up again next Bank holiday would be welcome......

Did you spin the engine with the rear wheel over for the RHS ? (after you adjusted the LHS) all the rockers should be loose @ TDC The timing chain needs to be in the correct position and its different for each side this may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKY0iiLn3Ig

When I measured the valve clearances on my LC four out of the eight were too loose and needed thicker shims to bring them back into the allowed range. On other bikes it’s always been the other way and the gap has been too tight.

It sounds like you adjusted the L/H side at TDC but didn't turn the engine so the R/H side also TDC as it seems you set the R/H side on the exhaust stroke. Not a problem just go back re-adjust the valves with the R/H set st TDC.

Yep,

Adjusted the LHS to TDC and all was well. Then carried out the same procedure on the RHS at TDC but the exhaust valves did not have the gap as the intake on the RHS and both intake/ exhaust on the LHS.

I have an Oppo that also has a GSA attending to confirm my results on this Sunday so he can check before I start the bloody thing up.

Stepto, with regard to your other post on my other thread, yes I have got a few new tools specifically to carry out some service items as I am mainly electrical and know fuck all about engines. I am handy at bolting/ unbolting shit but absolutely fucking fearless when it comes to tackling anything new.

I could just pay for a garage or mechanic to fix this shit but decide to tackle this myself, I now have my Ohlins back so this will go on Monday also......

We will see?????

:beerjug:

Ive not done a twin cam but valve clearances are usually straightforwards enough. Turn the engine until the cam lobe faces away from it's rocker (or shim) and get on with measuring/adjusting.

On a TC just make sure the lines on the cam lobes face each other, bottom pointing up and upper lobe facing down - then do clearances.
Same on both sides.
Lots of good advice on the advrider web site with pics if that helps you.
Personally I bought Jim Von Badens service DVD and it has saved me buckets of dosh!

Valve clearances now sorted. I had gone past TDC on the RHS which when rechecked meant the exhaust valves were a little slack and required tightening a little.

Many thanks all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom