V50 Monza

justin754

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got an itch for a Guzzi, thinking of getting a monza as a 2nd bike(well, 4th), anyone had any experience with one?
Just going to be for pottering around the Lincolnshire wolds.
Also considering an SP1000.
Would love a t3 Cali but prices are getting out of reach.

How tall are you; because if you are over 5'4" then forget it as they are tiny.

That's that plan scuppered then, I'm 5'5''.

Little bikes, little power, same old crap 80's motoguzzi electrics.
but
you can bump start them as they are tiny:beerjug:

buy an Enfield instead:cool:

I rode one back in the day when they a current model and thought it was great fun and I’m 6’ tall but there’s more fat on a butchers pencil so I didn’t have a problem squeezing myself onto it.

Italian bikes are supposed to be cramped so that you feel as if you’re a part of the bike and I certainly wouldn’t reject a V50 Monza just because it was a bit small. My wife is only 5’4” tall and complains that my Montjuic is tiny but that’s part of the appeal. Go and buy it :D

Forget what's said above.
Chances are they've never actually ridden one.

They are little gems which don't need lots of power seeing as they're so light and nimble you can ride them flat out everywhere.
No need to slow down for corners, just keep the throttle pinned, and the brakes are marvelous because the bikes are so light.

If you see one buy it.

Here's a couple that were at the Moto-Piston Rally.
Flying around the track overtaking many other larger capacity bikes with ease.

Attachments

• DSCN5904.jpg
    DSCN5904.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 562
I’m 5’ 10” and about 17 stone, typical older tosser probably. As well as my BM’s I have a Nuovo Falcone and a ‘95 Cali. I’ve ridden a friend’s V50 and it was no problem at all, terrific bike, nice and light, very nimble. Another pal has one as well as a Daytona and a Lario. He’s a six footer and has no problems either.
I’m looking for one myself now!

I always preferred the look of the Monzas to the vanilla V50/35's ~ just out of interest were they just a styling exercise or were there significant differences to power, suspension etc?

Andres

Forget what's said above.
Chances are they've never actually ridden one.

They are little gems which don't need lots of power seeing as they're so light and nimble you can ride them flat out everywhere.
No need to slow down for corners, just keep the throttle pinned, and the brakes are marvelous because the bikes are so light.

If you see one buy it.

Here's a couple that were at the Moto-Piston Rally.
Flying around the track overtaking many other larger capacity bikes with ease.

+1

Got a mate who's had one for years & always gives great service..

I had one 1984 to 1986. I am 6'2" and I was fine on it, although I was a lot lot younger and flexible back then. Brilliant bike and as Steptoe says light and nimble and handled very very well. Linked brakes (a novelty back then) worked very well. It responded well to a good thrashing - spin it up to near the redline in every gear every time and it just seemed to lap it up. Top speed around 110 but it needed a long run for that and was quicker than all the 80's hot hatches and stuff. Finish on mine was OK and apart from me fecking up an oil filter cartridge clean/change and knackering one of the big ends was 100% reliable for around 20,000miles in my ownership. Sold it to a friend of a friend who kept it for a long time and as far as I know was problem free. The seat is short and as hard as plank and my girlfriend (now wife) refused to ride pillion after one short ride as it was so uncomfortable. Apart from that I only have good memories of it so there cant have been that much bad about it. You want a red one of course.

Thanks for that, sounds like a plan.
Unless I win the 1000sp I’m bidding on on eBay.

Thanks for that, sounds like a plan.
Unless I win the 1000sp I’m bidding on on eBay.

Hope your not considering this apparently eye catching (or watering) beauty currently on E Bay

Attachments

• guzzi wtf.jpg
    guzzi wtf.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 548
A friend owned a Monza back in 83/84. Have to say it went very well, he was a very good rider but Ialways had trouble keeping up with himon small roads on my LM2.

Edit: my mate is not a tall bloke. I’m 6’2” and struggle now to fit on my LeMans.

I found the V50 I owned very sprightly and the chassis was much more taught than a similar era Japanese bike. I have never riden a Monza variant, but I would think the the standard bike is more comfy and more suited to older chaps as the Monza has clip ons and rear sets.
The basic V50 has 45bhp and weighs 152Kg
The modern V7 Stone, which is a 750, has 47bhp and weighs 189Kg. I bet there wouldn’t be a lot between them on the road.

Thanks for the feedback, picked one up yesterday.
Only nipped out for half a mile or so on it, it's a bit cramped but the grin factor is immense.
Just needs a service and a sympathetic mot tester.

Thanks for the feedback, picked one up yesterday.
Only nipped out for half a mile or so on it, it's a bit cramped but the grin factor is immense.
Just needs a service and a sympathetic mot tester.

Jolly g

Ride safe..

Test passed with a couple of advisories(that were on my to do list anyway).

Someone has spent quite a few quid on the paint, it looks mint, but they were a mechanical numpty.

I'm very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 228
Test passed with a couple of advisories(that were on my to do list anyway).

Someone has spent quite a few quid on the paint, it looks mint, but they were a mechanical numpty.

I'm very happy.

Perfic..

Now get riding it b4 it pisses daan again...

:)

Back
Top Bottom