2010 RT auxilliary lights

drinu64

Reaction score
I am waiting for my led fog lights to arrive, any idea how to wire them up? I would like them to be connected to the main power supply even though they will have a separate switch, so no idiot can switch them on for me and drain the battery.

any help will be greatly appreciated

I spliced mine into the feed to the sat nav with a switch on the blanking plate where the audio controls would be, assuming you don't have the audio system fitted.
Simple on/ off affair, not linked to the main beam/ dipped beam but still protected by the can bus for 'fuse' purposes and they will also switch off after a small time delay if you forget to switch them off. Mine were intended as Drl's, not fogs or spots , so this might not be suitable...

I think the nav supply is 5 amp maximum so plenty of margin for nav and led lights.

Thanks Steve, I was thinking of using the radio power supply instead of tapping into the wire loom and supply of the sat nav as that will be constantly in use . I dont know the current draw of the LED lights - all I know is that they are rated at 20w each what do you think? I think the amps figure should be around 3.3 for both... what do you think ?? Regards Adrian

Sorry, should have made it clearer-- I didn't splice into the bike's loom. I spliced into the adaptor wire that plugs into the socket on the right side fairing subframe. This allows the bike to be returned to standard with no permanent loom wires damaged.

3.3 amps sounds about right.

The two I used on my RT are now on my GS LC -- the pair draw less than 2 amps. Probably a good idea to have a different feed if yours are drawing 3.3 amps.

I wrote a piece some while ago about wiring and fitting LED DRL's to my 2013 RT. Would be very similar to your 2010 RT. I powered mine directly fused from the battery, via a relay, tapping into the ignition live feed to the aux socket in the l/h fairing panel. Switched on with ignition. No switch to leave on and flatten battery. From memory 2 x 20W drew something like 750mA (3/4 of an amp!).

Have a look in 'RT Tourers' or

'Technical & Rider The font of all wisdom'. There is a sticky in there 'Switched power - The easy way'.

I wrote a piece some while ago about wiring and fitting LED DRL's to my 2013 RT. Would be very similar to your 2010 RT. I powered mine directly fused from the battery, via a relay, tapping into the ignition live feed to the aux socket in the l/h fairing panel. Switched on with ignition. No switch to leave on and flatten battery. From memory 2 x 20W drew something like 750mA (3/4 of an amp!).

Have a look in 'RT Tourers' or

'Technical & Rider The font of all wisdom'. There is a sticky in there 'Switched power - The easy way'.
Thanks will do so later :)

Back
Top Bottom