Misfire after journey in rain

Sgt.Cupid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just coming to end of trip in Ireland and caught in the usual rain yesterday on way to overnight stop without issue. Bike was on center stand in rain all night was a bit lazy to start and developed a misfire similar to the one I caused a few weeks back after it's annual jet wash. Seemed to clear after 300km 80mph dash to Dublin but reappeared after 30min stop for food.
The cause of the jet wash self induced misfire was water in the gear indicator potentiometer 3 pin connector.
I checked this again tonight and it was a little damp but as bad as last time.
Any ideas chaps?
Need a quick fix as we're (hopefully) on the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead at 1.30 tomorrow and then off to Scotland for 10 days
TIA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

All sorted, thanks to dub 24 for help.
Was moisture in gear position selector 3pin connector as suspected. Will be packing with dielectric grease asap.

Dont get grease on the potentiometer track.
It the 3 pin connector from loom into potentiometer. The seal is missing for some reason.
Stupid thing is it's never worked properly since I bought the bike in 2013. But twice now its got water in it and make the bike run like a dog.
Packed it with silicon grease now and it's been fine.

Good spot. Its in a daft location almost certain to get wet and salty.

Mine had misfires after I fitted a Power Commander - sorted by wrapping every connector with self amalgamating insulating tape.

Back
Top Bottom