TAT 2018 on a GS Rallye

C'mon hurry up, it's about time we had a proper ride report :beerjug:

Day 3 - Pennsylvania

We’d stayed overnight in a hotel directly on the route and woke to overcast skies.

Breakfast done, we made a quick stop at Walmart around the corner for some supplies and then hit the road.
Once out of town, the route uses secondary roads and avoids traffic.

We crossed over i81.

The bridge is a year older than me.

It wasn’t long before we reached the first off-road section – Bear Hole Trail.

Unfortunately, GPS Kevin’s route was living up to its reputation with this trail closed to motor vehicles. Jay was adamant that we should not ride the trail asking us “Do you want to deal with these people?” We decided to take his advice and re-route.

We quickly picked up the route again on the other side of Bear Hole Trail and were enjoying the smooth, twisty and undulating country roads through the forest.

We came to a downhill right-hand hairpin…

I was leading with Russ close behind, we’d cruised around the turn and were off down the next straight when we heard Jay on the intercom. He overshot the turn and slid the AT under the barrier. He knew immediately that he’d broken his leg which was jammed between the bike and the barrier, with his foot twisted backwards.

I have to say he took it very well and was even trying to help free his bike!

Once Jay was free, we tried to free the bike, but the foot peg was jammed under the barrier. It took us nearly an hour to get it out and in the end, we had to bend the peg until it snapped off.

A really helpful local woman and her two teenage sons stopped in their pickup truck and offered to take Jay to the local hospital. But first, I rode the AT to their house which was about 5 miles away and we stored it in their garage. They then took me back to the scene to collect my bike, and Russ and I followed them to the local town of Lebanon where Jay was checked in to the WellSpan Good Samaritan Hospital.

After a quick check of Jay’s medical insurance, he was seen immediately by the triage nurses and then taken to a consulting room where the Doctor arrived within two minutes.

Jay was sent for x-rays and the doc confirmed that he’d suffered a spiral fracture of his lower leg and damage to his ankle due to it being twisted through 180 degrees. He would need surgery but this would be done back in New York, so he was patched up ready to be shipped home.

It was at this point that we reluctantly left Jay at the hospital. His wife and son would come in his truck later that evening to collect him and his bike. A sad end to Jay’s trip.

As you can image, the mood in the camp was a bit subdued. It was mid-afternoon by now so Russ and I decided to find somewhere to eat. We found the Longhorn Steakhouse on the main strip in Lebanon.

We plotted a more direct ‘A-road’ route to our planned stop for that night and pushed on.

The roads in Pennsylvania were very scenic and lined with big houses set back from the road, with porches and rocking chairs. They must spend a fortune on lawn care as every garden was immaculate. We were behind schedule so didn't make too many stops or take many pics.

A quick stop at a local convenience store somewhere in West Virginia.

Russ using his 5ltr fuel can for the first time.

We rolled up to the FireFly Inn in West Virginia at nearly 11pm with 248 miles on the clock.

Day 3 track-log.

Dam,a rider down so early into the trip....one assumes he has made a good recovery......

First rate RR. I wish Jay the best.
PA is an incredible state, loads to see. we were there recently Lancaster a great city.
Did the Amish and Gettysburg.
A daft question, how close to the TAT can you follow on tarmac?

Dam,a rider down so early into the trip....one assumes he has made a good recovery......

He's on the mend and back at the gym but I think its going to take some time...

First rate RR. I wish Jay the best.
PA is an incredible state, loads to see. we were there recently Lancaster a great city.
Did the Amish and Gettysburg.
A daft question, how close to the TAT can you follow on tarmac?

We'd have liked to spend more time in PA.

It would be relatively easy to follow the TAT on tarmac in most States. The TAT takes riders to small towns every few hours for fuel and accommodation options so you could simply plot a tarmac route between these fuel stops. It might become a bit more difficult further west as the trail becomes more remote as the road route might be longer.

Following the TAT on pavement is fairly easy for most of it. Useful when thec onditions are really bad and believe me, it can get very wet in Mississippi and Arkansas when discretion is the better part of valour!

Day 4 – Virginia

Today would take us from Wardensville to Marlinton, Virginia through the beautiful George Washington & Jefferson National Forest.

Rural Virginia. There’s not much happening in Wardensville when we surface.

I think I discovered the design inspiration for the Rallye at our fuel stop.

We finally hit the trails. This is what we came for!

Then we were out of the forest and riding the ridge line before we reached Marlinton.

Time for a late lunch at Greenbrier Grille http://greenbriergrille.com next to the Greenbrier River in Marlinton.

Marlinton is the start of Sam’s Official TAT Trail, so from here we are following Sam’s route. We decided to head for a campsite we spotted on Google maps at Lake Moomaw.

It was getting dark as we arrived but it was quiet and we were able to get a waterfront pitch and watch the sunset.

150 miles on the clock today. A great day’s riding.

I'm really enjoying this, thanx for taking the time.

Superb! :bow A trip I want to do sooner rather than later. :thumb2

Day 5 – 'Virginia is for Lovers'

We could not have known at the time that this would be one of the best campsites we would stay at on the entire trip. A scenic, tranquil location, with showers. Most of the remote forest campsites have very basic facilities consisting of a drop toilet and no fresh water or showers - so this one was special.

We took some time to soak up the sunrise over a coffee.

Our route today would continue through the forests of Virginia, heading in a general south west direction. But first, we’d ride north to pick up the trail and get ‘Back on the TAT’.

We came across some slow moving traffic. That’s a box turtle by the way, not a tortoise.

The forest trails were interspersed with b-roads and it wasn’t long before we came across one of the first TAT landmarks.

Sinking Creek Bridge is a 70-foot-long wooden bridge with a tin roof, built in 1916.

The reason for covering is to protect the wooden structure from the weather and also to keep horses from shying away from water.

Uncovered wooden bridges typically have a lifespan of only 10 to 15 years because of the effects of rain and sun.

The brief moment of relative privacy while crossing the bridges earned them the name "Kissing Bridges". Further details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_bridge

Russ signing the visitor’s book.

After more forest trails, we arrived at New River which we rode alongside for a few miles.

Roads and trails running along rivers are a common theme on the TAT. Either Sam has deliberately curated the route to include lots of them, or lots of them were built next to rivers historically for ease of construction. Either way they are always interesting and very welcome.

We stopped for a swim here.

After crossing New River we enjoyed an afternoon of endless forest trails before eventually emerging at the town of Tazewell at about 7.30 pm. We stopped for fuel at the Cargo filling station and met Betsy, who was working late but otherwise would have come with us for the ride. ;-)

It was time to call it a day, so we dived into the Fincastle Motor Inn in Tazewell for the evening with 222 miles on the clock for today.

Great stuff.
Was looking forward to see how the AT got on with the TAT but wasn’t expecting to lose Jay at the first corner on Day 1 !!

Like Udders, I’m definitely doing this one day,but may have to wait till I retire , hopefully in a few years.

I
Great stuff.
Was looking forward to see how the AT got on with the TAT but wasn’t expecting to lose Jay at the first corner on Day 1 !!

I was please to see the Rallye made it around the first corner :D
Looking forward to the next installment. Great stuff!

Having ridden the TAT 3 times it's good to see the latest changes and someone elses view on it.

It's a staggering ride and something every rider who likes a bit of dirt should do once on their lives.

Having ridden the TAT 3 times it's good to see the latest changes and someone elses view on it.

It's a staggering ride and something every rider who likes a bit of dirt should do once on their lives.

Is insurance in America sorted yet Chris?
If so do you have any plans in your mind for the next trip/shipping date?
I'd love to do at least some of the TAT on the WR in the next few years and this terrific RR is just magnifying that desire.

Is insurance in America sorted yet Chris?
If so do you have any plans in your mind for the next trip/shipping date?
I'd love to do at least some of the TAT on the WR in the next few years and this terrific RR is just magnifying that desire.

Nothing concrete yet but I'm assured we will be able to access good insurance cover again by next summer. You can still get cover but it's 3rd party only from a Mexican broker.......

If I can confirm insurance cover, I'm happy to put a container on for the TAT probably in 2020.

Day 5 – Heading South

Today’s route took us briefly into Tennessee, then back into Virginia before heading south again into North Carolina.

Today's route in perspective. NYC felt like a world away already.

The going was mostly winding forest trails and b-roads. Nothing difficult. We were just cruising and enjoying the experience.

Jay had joked that as Brits we’d need to stop regularly for a cup of tea. This seemed like a good a place to do just that.

Paved roads transition regularly into gravel.....

We had made a couple of fuel stops during the day and had eaten late. With both of our tanks full we pushed on and were in the middle of nowhere when the light started to fade.

We'd agreed to camp as much as possible during the trip, partly to minimise cost but also for the enjoyment of it. So we started to look for a suitable spot.

Eventually we found a clearing just off the trail which already had a fire pit - perfect.

This would be our first night of wild camping.

We got to work finding firewood and Russ took on the role of Chief Fire Starter – a position he would keep for the duration of the trip.

The light fades fast in the woods and it gets proper dark. There are lots of strange noises too.

Being from Wales, we are only used to hearing sheep - but those were not sheep! :eek:

We sat around the fire for a couple of hours before retreating to the comfort and relative protection of our tents.

190 miles on the clock for today, most of which were south. The heat and humidity increasing with every mile.

Would we survive the night or would the bears/wolves/stags/owls/insects or other imaginary, noise making creatures get us first? :D

Back
Top Bottom