Is there a Knack

flytoolow

Reaction score
...Or am I feckin useless...

Im trying to remove the Spark-plug Cap from a Twin-spark R1200C (4000 Miles)

Ive got the plastic / Nylon Puller fresh from Motorworks - actually 2 but one of them is already snapped. Will the bugger budge :mad::mad:

No he will not. Im risking pulling the bike on top of me:eek:

You would have thought BMW would have designed it better :nenau or do they want the service charges for what is a home job ??

Get the metal one;

been there done that broken the plastic bastards
...Or am I feckin useless...

Im trying to remove the Spark-plug Cap from a Twin-spark R1200C (4000 Miles)

Ive got the plastic / Nylon Puller fresh from Motorworks - actually 2 but one of them is already snapped. Will the bugger budge :mad::mad:

No he will not. Im risking pulling the bike on top of me:eek:

You would have thought BMW would have designed it better :nenau or do they want the service charges for what is a home job ??

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Get the metal one;

been there done that broken the plastic bastards
Tapatalk

Well Ive got the metal mickey one, and even that is pulling loose. Ive opened up t'other side and it seems that the original owner (2004 /5000 miles) had the same problem. The cap is all mangled. Im guessing that the plugs havent been out in all this time ?:nenau

I'm getting to the point of trying to lasso the buggers, tying them to a brick and lobbing the brick across the garage! Im worried Ill pull the bike on top of me !

Two flat bladed screwdrivers.
Care to expand on the precise method, before I bugger up both sides ? but I believe I know....:aidan

Yes, a lasso worked for me ..on a single spark admittedly.
Some wire looped around the body of the plug cap with a pair of short loops of wire that can be levered with a long screwdriver. A pair of loops to spread the load. A piece of timber to protect the head from the lever, insulated wire to protect the plug cap.

Consolation if you have to buy a new one ... tell yourself the it was bound to fail soon.

A wee tip to help prevent coils sticking. Put a smear of non conductive electrical grease on the inside of the coil .

Two flat bladed screwdrivers.

Give that man a Cigar! :thumby:
...2 BMW "thingys didnt work...

....Expensive CNC'ed tool didnt work....

Lassoo-ing the Beggar didnt work...

Two flat bladed screwdrivers placed top and bottom and jammed home and with a prising action...
...Worked like a champ..
...Anytime Im passing, I owe you a beer...:beer:

...Cheers Steptoe!

Those plastic ones work fine if you pinch the head (fnarr) with thumb and forefinger on one hand and then gently pull with your other forefinger through the ring (ooer) :D. Failing that use your BMW pliars from the toolkit to gently pinch the head and then do the necessary with the forefinger...works :D

Yes, Steptoe is da man.....

I noticed that José my local mechanic did the same, 2 large destornilladores, one each side of the coil's cap, even tho' I'd held out to him the expensive alloy 3rd-party puller that replaces the shattering plastic one that comes with the OEM tool-roll......

....when he replaced a stick coil and by doing so, solved instantly all my previous bad-running, cutting-out and hesitating ride.

Back
Top Bottom