Nutty to the red phone. Reversing a route, help needed

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Nutty, or others, I wonder if you can help with this one, following your tip, my cross country trip from Sunny Scunny to Moffat looks great, do you know a way of saving it as a return trip. Ie. In reverse to save me re-plotting it all again backwards?

I did this superb ride two weeks ago and it was a brilliant ride, full of superb twisties for a 7 hour fast run up to Moffat, I’ve now fine tuned it.
When I went up two weeks ago I’d set up the backtrack option, however when I operated the function for the homeward journey, it only brought me back to the last coffee stop that I’d had on the way up then it finished.
Is there a way of getting the reverse route set up now from home by just pressing a few buttons on the nav?
This is the nav6

Ha Ha, I did also invite others Wapping, so please feel free to add your 10 penneth!

There is no easy way to reverse a route on the latest Garmin devices.

I suspect you asked your device to take you to the last coffee stop (I’m guessing that’s a waypoint in your original route) so it did.

You can bring up the waypoints - and the shaping points - from your original route, reverse them manually and the device will create you a fresh route. It’s not necessarily a fast process but I’ve done it. Take a little care though. The route the device then offers up might well be one predicated on your device’s settings. This means the route the device displays may (or may not) match the route you rode originally. Have a go, you can’t break it.

From memory, you could also try saving your original route as a track. Then reverse the track and then save it as a route. Or you could just follow the track back.

You could also turn off auto recalculate. Start your original route up again and ride along it in reverse. In other words, use the device as if you were using a good old paper map with a line highlighted on it. You wouldn’t get voice commands or turn instructions and you might have to scroll / zoom the map manually but hey-ho.

PS I have created you a fresh thread.

I suspect you asked your device to take you to the last coffee stop (I’m guessing that’s a waypoint in your original route) so it did.

You can bring up the waypoints - and the shaping points - from your original route, reverse them manually and the device will create you a fresh route. It’s not necessarily a fast process but I’ve done it. Take a little care though. The route the device then offers up might well be one predicated on your device’s settings. This means the route the device displays may (or may not) match the route you rode originally. Have a go, you can’t break it.

From memory, you could also try saving your original route as a track. Then reverse the track and then save it as a route. Or you could just follow the track back.

You could also turn off auto recalculate. Start your original route up again and ride along it in reverse. In other words, use the device as if you were using a good old paper map with a line highlighted on it. You wouldn’t get voice commands or turn instructions and you might have to scroll / zoom the map manually but hey-ho.

I thought the accepted method was to follow Bounce :nenau

Seems to be the only way at the moment, however pitfalls are one way roads and diversions, may not go exactly as planned, so waiting on Nutty and Bounce to clear the air, surely they will know.........

The best way is to throw the fekkin Garmin in the bin and buy a TomTom.

Or follow Bounce. :D

:beerjug:

Thanks for the new thread now we should get somewhere .....

1. Yes it did take me back to my last coffee stop...check this place out if you have not already been..full of culture and a great biker stop.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...cb8e4eace77:0xbf7b8c6c29f6bcc8?hl=en-GB&gl=uk

2. If I reverse the route manually by reversing the pre-plotted way points and save it as the return trip eg ‘Moffat to home’ the new title stays but the old title is over written, I want to keep both title ‘trip out’ and trip back’ is it possible to save the original trip title?

3. How do I save the route as a track and reverse it?

Clearly I’m a bit thick but I’m willing to learn, I can pretty much do this route to Moffat without maps or nav but this is a great exercise in getting the hang of this nav for creating more complicated trips and in particular lengthy European trips.

Your replies please.....

Attachments

• 81B241A7-3B42-4854-B4CA-0CBE9407925F.jpg
    81B241A7-3B42-4854-B4CA-0CBE9407925F.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 217
OK

Now it’s time for you to play around.

Try saving a route.

Try renaming a route.

Try converting routes into tracks and back again.

Before you start, think about saving your Moffat to Hadrian’s Wall route to your computer or even to the device. That way you won’t lose it. C’mon you can do it. You can’t break it. Just push some buttons with a bit of thought.

Good man.

Really it’s just like your pc. Save to your pc what you need to keep intact, in this case your Moffat to the wall route. If you created the route on your pc it should be there anyway. Then muck around on the device. If you have a question or get stuck, come back here. Better still, have a go at asking Google. For example:

Convert route to track Garmin

Or some similar brief set of words. Surf through the list that Google throws up. Look in the videos, too. The chances are you’ll not be the first person in the world to ask the question and someone, somewhere, will have answered it.

One clue: The key often lies in touching on the three horizontal lines, top left corner.

attachment.php

Clue two: Touching the route’s name itself sometimes throws up other choices

You’ll make mistakes and sometimes forget what you did but don’t worry. You can always go back and start again.

PS The route in your picture is ‘Unscheduled’ possibly because you didn’t put a date in it. I use the ability to date and time routes a lot. For example, let’s say I am in Dijon, halfway down France, 350 miles from Calais. I might want to create two routes back to Calais, one direct (if it’s chucking it down) and one longer route avoiding all the motorways, to use if it’s sunny. I know on what day I’ll use the route, so I can date it. It will then appear, in date order, with other routes on that particular tour. It’s rather like a diary. The longer route I will give a start time of say 08:30 and the other direct route, say 10:30. Again, like a decent diary, they’ll now appear in date and time order. That I can give each route a different name, is a bonus too.

But don’t forget, they are only very simple PC’s, with an emphasis on the P for Personal. What makes sense to me, might well be crazy to you. That doesn’t matter. Find a way that works for you reliably but do learn the ‘must do’ basics properly. The most basic of these are:

1. Do as much as possible within Garmin software as you can

2. Your home computer can do more and more easily (and quicker) than the device sometimes can

3. Learn about route preferences and the importance of getting them set the same on both your PC and device. In my world, less is more, at least whilst you are learning as it removes possible causes of variations between what you think the device should do and what it actually does

Once you get used to how the device works reliably, then by all means start to muck about.

I have just turned on my Nav V.

To reverse your route:

Home screen

Apps button

Tracks

Find the track in the list

Spanner, top left corner

Convert to trip

Finish to start (assuming you want to reverse it that is)

Name it

Device calculates and saves the route to the trip planner. Depending on the route’s length, this might take a while. Be patient, it’s a dumb device and there’s lots of data for it to organise, convert and then display

Up pops: Route saved to trip planner

OK

Back button

Back button, again

Back button, again

Back button, again

Home screen

Apps

Trip Planner

You should see the route there. If like me, you have lots of scheduled (dated) routes, scroll down and keep scrolling down until you get to Unscheduled routes, where you should find it

Tap on route

Look at the distance / time. Do they look about right? Yes? Great, we are cooking on gas.

Tap on the Map button. Does the magenta line line look right? Yes? We are boiling on gas.

Back button

Go!

At various points thereafter - before you start - you might well see the map pop up, displaying the route with a green flag (start) and a chequered flag (end) always look at it and hesitate before hitting Go! again. Why? It helps to check before you tell the device to action the instruction you are about to give it. Get it right now and life will be easy. Get it wrong and you’ll be moaning that Garmin is shite.

It isn’t.

It has created you a route, maybe across 100’s of miles.... something you’d need a map for. And it can guide you, mile by mile, turn by turn, right to the end.

PS Do make sure you have track recording turned on!

Okay, I’ll start mucking about with it.

Re. creating a route, I have struggled with basecamp i don’t think that I’m on my own when I say that I don’t find it very intuitive.

The easiest way for me to create a route is to use the nav trip planner alongside google maps.

The nav6 has an advantage over the nav5 here, in that the way-point cancel button comes up automatically on the screen and makes it very easy to cancel a waypoint thus allowing the next waypoint to be prioritised. I know that the nav5 could do this but the nav6 seems to do it much easier.
This is particularly useful if I have included a village as a way-point, I don’t have to get the waypoint on the exact road etc. Near enough will do, and once I’m in range I can cancel that particular way-point allowing the nav to move me on to the next way-point.

On the nav5 if I didn’t get the way-point plotted exactly on the correct street, the nav5 would keep asking me to make a u-turn and keep me searching for the exact area of the plotted way-point before it would allow the me to move on to the next one. As I’ve said the 5 could do this but the 6 seems to do it much easier.
A downside that I have found on my nav6 is when I’m riding with my pillion and we want to chat via the coms, if I hit the nav on-screen mute button to silence the nav it also cancels the intercom conversation between my pillion and myself. The nav5 did not do this, allowing a normal conversation throughout the journey without the nav interrupting every 5 minutes.

I’ll have a play and see how I get on, your advice/tips have been very much appreciated. :thumb

To reverse your route:

Home screen

Apps button

Tracks

Spanner, top left corner

Convert to trip

Name it

Device calculates and saves the route to the trip planner. Depending on the route’s length, this might take a while. Be patient, it’s a dumb device and there’s lots of data for it to organise, convert and then display

OK

Back button

Back button, again

Back button, again

Back button, again

Home screen

Apps

Trip Planner

You should see the route there. If like me, you have lots of scheduled (dated) routes, scroll down and keep scrolling down until you get to Unscheduled routes, where you should find it

Tap on route

Look at the distance / time. Do they look about right? Yes? Great, we are cooking on gas.

Tap on the Map button. Does the magenta line line look right? Yes? We are boiling on gas.

Back button

Go!

At various points thereafter - before you start - you might well see the map pop up, displaying the route with a green flag (start) and a chequered flag (end) always look at it and hesitate before hitting Go! again. Why? It helps to check before you tell the device to action the instruction you are about to give it. Get it right now and life will be easy. Get it wrong and you’ll be moaning that Garmin is shite.

It isn’t.

It has created you a route, maybe across 100’s of miles.... something you’d need a map for. And it can guide you, mile by mile, turn by turn, right to the end.

Better than an Airfix set of instructions that:thumby:

To reverse your route:

Home screen

Apps button

Tracks

Spanner, top left corner

Convert to trip

Name it

OK

Back button

Back button, again

Back button, again

Back button, again

Home screen

Apps

Trip Planner

Tap on route

Back button

Go!

It isn’t.

I’m persevering however it’s not going according to plan, perhaps you can add more guidance.
Th

I started to follow your instructions by the letter, this is what I got....photos...

Not all in the right order but I’m sure that you’ll get it....

Turned on my nav6
1. Home page
2. Apps
3.tracks
4. Still on tracks button after pressing the top left 3 horizontal bars.

Stuck

Attachments

• 59B6E78A-3F42-4149-9E56-DBBDA9ED6635.jpg
    59B6E78A-3F42-4149-9E56-DBBDA9ED6635.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 130
  • E9E3BF75-717A-4623-8F7B-B7A57F683D43.jpg
    E9E3BF75-717A-4623-8F7B-B7A57F683D43.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 90A6F8D4-B613-49BC-A9FF-7DCEE8A58C44.jpg
    90A6F8D4-B613-49BC-A9FF-7DCEE8A58C44.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 2822E4D6-1E90-4FAA-A774-D619A7A6B03C.jpg