Recommendations Pembrokeshire

Mexbiker

Reaction score
Hi - have recently relocated to Pembrokeshire and awoken my 2005 GS after her winter sleep. New battery was required and once charged and fitted a new rear bulb was needed and all was running smoothly for a few weeks and a few miles. Last weekend, however, I noticed that I had a very spongy rear brake and then the red warning triangle came on along with the "brake failure" warning light.

I have checked front and rear brake switches, brake fluid levels, disconnected and re-connected battery, but problem persists. Warning light is not on permanently, only when I brake hard. Curiously, when both front and rear brakes are applied together, no warning is displayed.

I have read previous mails regarding ABS sensor problems and ABS servo issues and am hoping that mine does not have a problem that is too expensive to fix (she has got 50,000 miles on her).

Can anyone recommend a reputable workshop in the Pembrokeshire / Carmarthenshire area familiar with BMW's and who has the GS 911 diagnostic tool to be able to determine what the problem is? The nearest BMW dealer is in Swansea and am not overly keen on entrusting a diagnosis to a main dealer!!!

Thanks in advance.

You can get a new (used) rear master cylinder for reasonable costs from James Sherlock. Go for the later type with concertina type dust cover.

Also check the rear caliper seals. BMW sell rebuild kits for about £20.

After that you may be looking at removing the servo. Sherlocks also sell the necessary kit to delete the ABS servo.

Google "UKGSer brake servo" and fill your boots with discussions about it.

I am in N Pembs. Bit of a struggle getting work done around here. Try Merlin Bridge Autos in Haverfordwest. Motorrad dealer, Riders in Cardiff, will collect and deliver. Free during the winter. I had my GSA serviced and was very pleased with the service. Any other local info I can help with just PM me.

Back
Top Bottom