Front axle clamping screw - stripped thread

heinrich

Reaction score
Had my front rim fixed last week and the tire put back on this past weekend. When I put the wheel back on the thread (in the lower fork) was completely stripped. Went to look at the torque setting for the clamping screw (19Nm) and before the screw even started tightening I could just feel it going round and round...Took it out and the thread simply fell off the screw in little pieces of shavings. No idea if this was from corrosion of from the past incorrect tightening by the previous owner.

Anybody come across this before and more importantly, how can I fix this? helicoil? how easy is that to do myself?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

I have taken your advice and phoned Lind motorrad. They say they would not go the helicoil route and just tap the hole for a slightly larger bolt. This is apparently what they have done in the past. They're too busy to help at the moment and asked me to call the dealer in Braintree who is a little closer to me anyway. I mentioned the same thing about possible doing a helicoil insert or just tapping it slightly larger. I get a bit of a "legal disclaimer" lecture and the only thing they will do is replace the whole lower shock. :confused:
Okay I'm not oversimplifying things here, but replacing the lower shock because of the axle pinch bolt thread that's stripped is in my humble opinion way over the top. Am I missing something here or what?

That's exactly what I was hoping for thanks. :thumb2 Although they're a bit out of the way for me but that's not a problem.

Of course if they say the same thing my next stop is motorworks.

I doubt a dealer would ever try any original engineering, even if they had the skills.
Suggest you try a good independent or engineering workshop.

Back
Top Bottom