2019 CRF450L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following on from the 250, Honda are launching a 450 next year .

59ead9a8e2eb2a0263f17de35f06dd41.jpg
c09cee8891d2ca1e1dbdb68b3d1953c3.jpg

4374ae2d9e6278add3f7f82eec75fc74.jpg

It’s based on a proper dirt racer – Honda’s CRF450R MX machine, but is softened, legalised, detuned, and has lights (all LED), licence plate, speedo, horn – all the stuff needed for a road bike. The sweet titanium (!) fuel tank is a bit bigger than the racebike too – though most of the plastics are spot-on in terms of 2019 MX bike style.
Sadly, the engine’s had a bit of a caning to meet Euro4 regs, and stand up to possible road abuse. We doubt many folk would sit on the motorway at 90mph for hours on end on one of these, but Honda has to bear that possibility in mind – so the two-ring racing piston is replaced with a longer-life three-ringer, compression is down to 12:1 from 13.5:1, cam timing is softer, crank is heavier, and you get a six-speed gearbox instead of five. And, of course, there’s a huge silencer and catalysed exhaust on there too, the radiator is larger, it gets a fan, etc etc etc.

The result is a soft 18.4kw; 25bhp, just. That’s a little disappointing – an ancient Suzuki DR-Z400 makes nearly 40bhp, albeit without the necessary modern emissions compliance of course. On the plus side, the CRF450L only needs a major engine stripdown service every 20,000 miles. Which will take a while with 25bhp and a 7.6l fuel tank to be fair.

The all-up weight of just 130kg wet is encouraging though – this is a proper skinny lightweight beastie. And while the power might be a handicap on the M6 Autobahn section, it’ll be fine when used as intended – a nice, smooth enduro bike that can plod its way through almost anything in terms of off-road riding, while also getting you to the trails from your city pad, with ease.

SPECS

Engine: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke single cylinder uni-cam, 449cc

Bore and Stroke: 96.0mm x 62.1mm

Compression Ratio: 12.0:1

Carburation: PGM-FI Fuel injection

Fuel Tank Capacity: 7.6 litres

Clutch: Wet multiplate

Transmission: six speed, chain

Frame: Aluminium twin tube

Wheelbase: 1500mm

Caster Angle: 28.5°

Trail: 122mm

Seat Height: 940mm

Kerb Weight: 130.8kg

SUSPENSION: Front, 49mm Showa steel-sprung USD fork, Rear, Showa monoshock using Honda Pro-Link system

Wheels: Aluminium spoke

Tyres: Front 80/100-21 Rear 120/80-18

So it won’t blow your socks off but might make a nice reliable green-laner.

It should at least have more torque than the 250 then but 1 bhp extra :nenau hopefully Honda (UK at least) will do the decent thing & supply everybike with a Hilltop voucher ;)

It will be 40 hp like the enduro ones

Somebody at Honda hasn't proof read

Fantastic news - always liked alloy framed bikes too

Scrub the 1090 R

This will be my next bike - a
modernised XR 400

Good for the back roads

Good for the TET

Good for trails

Bring it on - less is more

Ridiculous size petrol tank apart from that all looks good . lighter than the current 250 , hopefully a lot more powerful as the 250 was very disappointing in that regard. I wonder what the price will be ? £6400 ish would be my guess

Ridiculous size petrol tank apart from that all looks good . lighter than the current 250 , hopefully a lot more powerful as the 250 was very disappointing in that regard. I wonder what the price will be ? £6400 ish would be my guess

Stick a grand on

Rally 450 for next year, (to finally celebrate Honda winning the Dakar ;) ) had the 250 and yes 24.5 bhp was rather lacking most the time, but a great bike. 450L I’d guess will be about £6,800 and the 450 Rally will be £7550. They’ll sell shed loads.

I hope not, possibly up to £7000 . I know it’s a different bike but the 250 is only 4600.

CRF 250 L ain't on the same planet as this new bike

£7-£8k is where it will be

$10000 in so work it back - it's in my estimate

£6.5k I will have some of your drugs

CRF 250 L ain't on the same planet as this new bike

£7-£8k is where it will be

$10000 in so work it back - it's in my estimate

£6.5k I will have some of your drugs

No ! :spl1f:

I didn’t realize you had inside information. It’s going to be at least £7500 then as you say. It better be good :D

Naked (weird side stand spring)

Attachments

• 2019-Honda-CRF450L-20.jpg
    2019-Honda-CRF450L-20.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 390
Following on from the 250, Honda are launching a 450 next year .

59ead9a8e2eb2a0263f17de35f06dd41.jpg
c09cee8891d2ca1e1dbdb68b3d1953c3.jpg

4374ae2d9e6278add3f7f82eec75fc74.jpg

It’s based on a proper dirt racer – Honda’s CRF450R MX machine, but is softened, legalised, detuned, and has lights (all LED), licence plate, speedo, horn – all the stuff needed for a road bike. The sweet titanium (!) fuel tank is a bit bigger than the racebike too – though most of the plastics are spot-on in terms of 2019 MX bike style.
Sadly, the engine’s had a bit of a caning to meet Euro4 regs, and stand up to possible road abuse. We doubt many folk would sit on the motorway at 90mph for hours on end on one of these, but Honda has to bear that possibility in mind – so the two-ring racing piston is replaced with a longer-life three-ringer, compression is down to 12:1 from 13.5:1, cam timing is softer, crank is heavier, and you get a six-speed gearbox instead of five. And, of course, there’s a huge silencer and catalysed exhaust on there too, the radiator is larger, it gets a fan, etc etc etc.

The result is a soft 18.4kw; 25bhp, just. That’s a little disappointing – an ancient Suzuki DR-Z400 makes nearly 40bhp, albeit without the necessary modern emissions compliance of course. On the plus side, the CRF450L only needs a major engine stripdown service every 20,000 miles. Which will take a while with 25bhp and a 7.6l fuel tank to be fair.

The all-up weight of just 130kg wet is encouraging though – this is a proper skinny lightweight beastie. And while the power might be a handicap on the M6 Autobahn section, it’ll be fine when used as intended – a nice, smooth enduro bike that can plod its way through almost anything in terms of off-road riding, while also getting you to the trails from your city pad, with ease.

SPECS

Engine: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke single cylinder uni-cam, 449cc

Bore and Stroke: 96.0mm x 62.1mm

Compression Ratio: 12.0:1

Carburation: PGM-FI Fuel injection

Fuel Tank Capacity: 7.6 litres

Clutch: Wet multiplate

Transmission: six speed, chain

Frame: Aluminium twin tube

Wheelbase: 1500mm

Caster Angle: 28.5°

Trail: 122mm

Seat Height: 940mm

Kerb Weight: 130.8kg

SUSPENSION: Front, 49mm Showa steel-sprung USD fork, Rear, Showa monoshock using Honda Pro-Link system

Wheels: Aluminium spoke

Tyres: Front 80/100-21 Rear 120/80-18

So it won’t blow your socks off but might make a nice reliable green-laner.

I thought my Husky’s fuel tank was small at 8L but this is even smaller

Looks great and because it’s so light it’ll also be great fun to ride.

Have you ordered yours yet?

I’d like a 790 Adventurer

....or you could buy a 500EXC fit a 15.5 tank.

Fit a bigger clutch cover for more oil capacity and only ride it at the pace that Honda could manage and the service intervals will not be an issue

I thought my Husky’s fuel tank was small at 8L but this is even smaller

Looks great and because it’s so light it’ll also be great fun to ride.

Have you ordered yours yet?

I’d like a 790 Adventurer

I won’t be getting the Honda !

Possibly the 790 Adv though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom