Basic Autocom help wanted.

luke scott

Reaction score
I have a Zumo 550 and want to get a basic Autocom so I can hear instructions etc in my helmet. I don't need to talk to a pillion or listen to music. Comments please.

well, OK, Autocom is not the way I would go in this situation, as even the most basic (simple) configuration requires wiring instal of some sort and probably wiring into bike. It may not be the cheapest, but a bluetooth set up attached to helmet means you are not tied to a particular bike, and its easy to switch the kit if you buy a new lid

In fact if its just nav instructions you are after, the existing wiring harness for the 550 should allow you to plug in some earbuds.

what you lose is freedom from wires connecting you to bike, and the flexibility to add what you say you dont need now later.

Never been a fan of the in helmet speakers when i used autocom or indeed my current sena 20s, which work but as I wear earplugs to preserve whats left of my hearing, I have to turn the volume right up to overcome the plugs!! Daft.
Ultimate ears do in ear "monitors" (tiny little speakers embeed in custom fit ear plugs) that do a great job, only wirirng is between sena on side of lid and the plugs in me lugholes.

Zumo 550 ist going to set the world on fire with it's bluetooth.

They used a mono bluetooth chip which snaps crackles and pops when given anything stero to work with.

Nav instructions are ok, there mono.

Best solution i found is

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/480886-Bluetooth-MP3-in-stereo

Audio music from the garmin goes via external bluetooth dongle

Spoken instructions (nav) are sent via the zumo internal bluetooth

I know you dont want bluetooth, but your going to have to fit leads and speakers in your helmet anyway.

A bluetooth module takes up very litle room

And to echo Russ996Duke - i wear plugs too, you need to wind the volume up

Bluetooth means no leads plugs to get wet & corrode , foul and get ripped off etc and it goes with you on any bike

And you can make - takes calls on the go - saves stopping ;)

If you are that determined to get just spoken nav. Pretty sure you need a 3.5 speaker male to either a 3.5 male or female (depending what the input on the autocom is )

Then just plug it into the garmin mount lhs and feed it round to your autocom box input i think 3mtr or 4.5 mtr would be ok -

DONT QUOTE ME on the length - you need to measure - you prolly wont get that long off the shelf at a reasonable price so

ebay will be your best bet :D

Back
Top Bottom