Eurotunnel

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone on here just turned up at the eurotunnel and bought a ticket , and if so how long did you have to wait before boarding.

If in France stop at a MacDonalds and use the wifi to book a ticket as much cheaper than just turning up

How long you have to wait depends on so many factors but I have booked a ticket ridden up 30 minutes later and been put on the next train even if if the booking was for a later one
Not even time for a coffee
Having said that when I have booked several months in advance I have had to wait 3 hours (2 hours) longer than I expected
The biggest faff is finding somewhere to park and then pay if you just turn up

With the motorbike, yes. I think we waited around 1 hour, basically boarding the second available train.
It was mid-week. Costed 90 quid per motorbike I think (in comparison, I came back to the UK by car this Tuesday and paid 100 quid with the car booking in advance).

I would suggest booking in advance or turning up last minute at the ferry boat, way cheaper.

Book in advance (even an hour) and book a day return instead of a single and pay about half price.:thumb

Book in advance (even an hour) and book a day return instead of a single and pay about half price.:thumb

Just checked out the day returns for July and they are a fair bit cheaper. Is there no issue with not using the return fare? And should you book the actual (11 days later) return the same as the outward (Folkestone to Calais)? If that make sense?

Mark

Just had a look for the day return / one way prices ,only £9 cheaper for the dates I want worth a look though

Check out DFDS seaways ferry. Loads cheaper and more flexible. Crossing is only 90 mins and the service is very very efficient. I won’t use the tunnel ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying day returns is almost always cheaper, but sometimes not significantly. My impression is that when the trains are busy, day returns work out much cheaper.

I made a return trip a week or so ago and saved nearly £200.

There's no issue not using the return half. I've made four or five trips a year for the past 20+ years. Never a problem (except when I once inadvertently booked the tickets the wrong way round and got rumbled :blast).

Get friendly with an artic driver and ask if you can load your bike in the back...
Then hang on to the axel till in the UK.
Keep well away from the propshaft though.
Works for some

Sent from my London Taxi

Don't do it.

I appeared there at 2315hrs on Saturday without a ticket (not being certian how long it would take me to ride back from Istanbul).

Firstly they would not sell a ticket until 0500hrs the next day due to a backlog and congestion; then when I polled up after a night in the bivi-bag on the grass next to their pet drop-off point, they demanded £185.00 for a one-way ticket from Calais to Folkestone.

I told them I would rather burn the bike on the spot & swim than pay that outrageous amount ...and went to the ferry terminal ( and DFDS). Much cheaper and a better experience all round.

The rob dogs have lost my custom forever.

Back
Top Bottom