Dip lamp unit

sykospain

Reaction score
As on the 1150GS models, my Rockster has twin headlamp units. The big one is the dipped beam lamp, and the smaller lamp is the pathetically-weak main-beam unit.

I'll soon be matriculating my UK bike into the Spanish system, which requires an immediate I.T.V. ( Vehicles' Annual Roadworthiness Test ) as soon as the documentation is completed, which mainly involves paying a percentage tax charge, providing the relevant Certificate of Conformity for the bike and getting the bit of paper which will authorise me to buy a new white numberplate with the year-appropriate letters & numbers from a licensed plate-supplier, usually located on the fringes of a big supermarket.

The dip beam unit on my UK bike naturally heaves the light-throw downwards and to the left, courtesy of a metal plate inside the sealed lamp. It looks a bit like this :-

Headlamp_Blanking_Piece.jpg

The drive-on-the-right-side-of-the-road countries like Spain require the dip beam to point the opposite way. And the first thing the technician does at the start of the ITV annual test ( Like the UK MOT but ten times more thorough and rigorous ) is to wheel a cumbersome beam-capturing trolley right up to the bike's headlamp to test the angle of dip. If the dip-beam lamp doesn't point the beam downwards to the right, it's an immediate test fail.

My question therefore is :-
Can one fiddle inside the lamp to change the direction of throw ? Otherwise the Greedy Berlin Pig wants in excess of 400 snoojits to sell me a replacement EU-complying dip-beam lamp.

Attachments

• Headlamp Blanking Piece.jpg
    Headlamp Blanking Piece.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 121
Yes, in the owner's manual it shows you how to change from RHD to LHD - only takes a few minutes to do... :thumb2

EDIT - I have found a scanned in copy of the Owner's Manual, in case you don't have one. Instructions are on Pages 46 and 47 of the manual

As Mike says, there is a facility to rotate the unit in its mountings, so the beam rises to the other side.

Brilliant - problem solved thanks to Mike & Paul.
Moral of the story - "R.T.F.M." !
See page 38 of the Rockster's "Maintenance Instructions", the companion booklet to the Rider's Manual.
viz :-

Headlamp_dip_adj_for_RHD_or_LHD.jpg

However, the Maintenance Manual gives entirely wrong dis-assembly info., as I found out this morning when I immediately tackled the dip-beam-aim-change job, prompted by the above info gleaned from this excellent forum.

Despite all the revisions and re-edits that BMW subjects these little handbooks to, before releasing for supply with a new bike, this page 38 info is actually incorrect for a 2004 Rockster.
The 4 screws labelled "2" in the diagram DO NOT release the front part of the plastic shroud. Those four are adjusters of the beam-aim and should not be disturbed, if the bike has previously passed its roadworthiness annual test.

The removal of the front part of the 2-part shroud is done by unscrewing the two tiny sheet-metal self-tapper Torx-head screws located at the top and bottom edges of the shroud.

To undo the lower ones, of course as normal, you need a torch to see what you're doing, and have the ability to stand securely on your head whilst working.

So amend your Maintenance Manual's p.38 if you have one. And those brief instructions there don't mention that the "front fairing", the triangular-shaped plastic bit above the lamp units, is simply attached to the bike by three spigots pressed into grommetted holes. It just yanks off. Lube the rubber grommets at re-fitment with Surgical Spirit ( Rubbing Alcohol in the USA ) which leaves no residue and is a fraction of the cost of branded "Rubber and Nylon Lube" spray cans. 250ml bottles available from your local pharmacy for flumpence per. And you can drink it if you need more of a kick than Jack Daniels gives, but you may go blind....

After those first few bulletted points, the rest of the adjustment instructions are correct, beginning with "Slacken the clamp bolt".
As it happens my UK bike already had the dip set correctly for driving on the right-hand-side of the road.
Kushtie...

Back
Top Bottom