Garmin Virb 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Virb 30 mounted on my R1200GS on the front of the windscreen.
Does anybody know if I can switch the camera on/off remotely?
I have a Zumo 395 and have paired it with the camera successfully but still have this question.
Hope someone can help!!

I paired the two successfully, stopped and started recording but you can`t turn the camera on/off using the Zumo.
So once it is on I have to stop the bike to reach the camera to turn off. The maximum time I have managed for a battery is just under 2 hours.
I have spoken to customer support and they agree with me, consequently I am now looking at Gopro`s.
Cheers
Paul

The Garmin remote does not turn the camera on/off unlike the GoPro one unfortunately.
Cheers

The Garmin remote does not turn the camera on/off unlike the GoPro one unfortunately.
Cheers

Turning the Camera On and Off Using the Recording Switch

You can use the recording switch to turn the camera on and immediately start recording video. If you turn the camera on using the recording switch, it turns off automatically when you stop the recording using the recording switch. This feature allows you to start and stop recording quickly, while automatically turning off the camera to conserve battery power when you are not recording.
NOTE: The camera does not turn off using the recording switch unless you use the recording switch to turn it on.

With the device turned off, move the recording switch forward.

The device turns on and starts recording video.
When you are finished recording, move the recording switch backward.

The device stops recording and turns off.

The limited life of the battery is a bit of a downside on the ultra 30.

What it really needs is a method of external power which would allow one to leave it switched on but stop start recording from the satnav. To this end I bought the open cage mount which allows external power but sacrifices water proof-ness!

The problem I have is with the camera mounted on the front of the bike you cant reach the recording switch when riding, at least I cant. I have tried to mount in another position and I cant do and still get good video (any suggestions welcome).
I did consider taking it out of the waterproof case and using the cage but after a very wet 4 days in the Picos decided that would not be sensible if I didn't want the camera to end up swimming.
I did ask Garmin if there were any plans to allow external charging while in a waterproof case but got the standard no comment.
All of this is driving me to a Gopro!!

I was just thinking along the lines of, if you start the virb up with the recording switch, and then try to shut it down with the Zumo stop recording, have you tried that, not sure if it works but maybe worth a try, otherwise GOpro 6 and remote with buttons is the way to go, not the new remote Remo, I just ordered a used remote from the USA seems all good reviews are fine and way cheaper, lets see how it goes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPro-Wi...254921&hash=item545446eac8:g:MbUAAOSwcB5ZH2ES

The best I managed was this:
Have remote wake up on so with camera in sleep mode you can then start recording using the Zumo which is great but you are then left in a position where you cant put the camera back into sleep mode, it just stays on. The awful battery life then becomes an issue.
I have just about made the decision to move to Gopro but the price of the Hero 5 or 6 is a bit steep for me hence I am looking at the Hero 5 session and a smart remote.
I know there are limitations but having seen a friends video shot on a session during our recent Picos trip I am impressed with the quality and simplicity.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions and its a pity Garmin aren't so positive!

Have given up on this and will wait for future developments from Garmin. In the meantime I am going to fit the Virb to my F650GS.
CASE CLOSED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom