Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Greece is the word..

Rambler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    4 updates in one day? Yep, we’ll take that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Ha ... correct
    All a bit easier to do now I'm back home and caught up with the chores..

And so to Macedonia

Quite.

Our plan yesterday was to get to Ioannina, drop off our bags and then head back out on the bikes to see the Vikos Gorge. Given the heat we sort of lost enthusiasm for it and decided to have an afternoon stroll and a beer. We alter our plan to take in the gorge today and then try and wind our way east.

A bit of route advice from a friendly local at the petrol stop.

There’s some dull main drag riding for a while as we head North. Once we leave the main road and head into the hills we’re rewarded.

The way up and back is great.

Actually, in truth we didn’t reach the actual gorge viewpoint and it was some walk from the end of the track we reached. Heavy bike gear, hot temperatures and yomping down precarious paths aren’t a great combination, so we make do with some of the views we’ve got.

Eventually, after some interesting navigation and, well, lets call it re-navigation we end up joining up with the main E80 route.

The riding? Simple and enjoyable with some climbs and twisties keeping things interesting. This really seems a very remote part of Greece and there’s hardly any traffic at all. I’ve been this way before, back on the original EuroRamble in 2012. We have a coffee stop at a place I stopped at back those few years ago.

The lining of Brian’s Tour-X refuses to leave his head. We’re assuming that’s kind of a ‘I need a wash’ protest.

Shortly after pitching up we’re joined by a couple from the Czech Republic aboard a Varadero. Usual hellos and nosing around the bikes until we do the off.

Another gem for Brian’s photo collection of ‘Khazis of the world’

Shortly after we branch off the main road to head North over to the Macedonian border.

We ride across up over the mountains. I have Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Welcome to the pleasuredome” rattling through my headphone which made for a memorable ride.. outstanding. 34 years old that song you know, a Trevor Horn masterpiece. Anyway, it matched the going perfectly, really technical fun slinging round the big GS, avoiding the potholes, the gravel, the surface changes, dogs sat under trees in the road, you name it, A flip here, a slip here and a wobble there, power on, power off. Marvellous.

The national flags start to crop up all over the place and its easy to see we’re near the border, particular the with things between Greece and Macedonia being a bit frosty.

Not far from the border we see rain. It bloody well tips down and the going becomes precarious for half an hour or so. The rain stops as we clear the mountains and by the time we reach the Macedonian border not far away you’d have barely known we’d seen rain at all. A short stand up on the pegs allows for a blow dry.

The border despite how relationships between the countries might lie is pretty easy. Ten minutes to cross with no bother. Passport, V5, Green Card, scram.

After crawling along behind a border police 4x4 for a while we not long later reach the town of Bitola. We weren’t clear exactly where we were going to pitch up tonight, but at a stop on the outskirts of town we decide it will be here. We choose the Treff Hotel which is very central. It looks decent at least from the car park, and the price is right. Bikes stuck in the courtyard outside reception, sorted.

They didn’t have a lift at this place but at least here they were decent enough to be upfront about it. They did leave a space for one though so you never know in the future I suppose.

They like a big flag here.

And they like a gamble by the looks of it. That’s an odd one to see.. just fancy that.

Bitola’s main pedestrian drag..

Bitola five-O.

We draw out some local money and I buy some tat for the bike. I like a nice bit of tat. You may have noticed. It keeps me amused anyway.

We meet a friendly but ever so slightly odd local bloke called Ali.

Zlaten Dab. Didn’t he recently sign for Chelsea?

Skopsko is better.

I have an average Pizza. Brian has a local tapas platter, a lot of it which he feeds to a cat. I should imagine the cat spent most of the remaining evening looking for Rennies.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    lmfao that last pic - kelley would be like woof

also wondered what the riga pic of the shirt and tie was about

Just catching up with this ramble.

Excellent, as ever.

Keep them coming.

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    'Bitola 5 - O' ….. you know it makes sense.

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    'Bitola 5 - O' ….. you know it makes sense.

practical gadgee

great write up, glad you had a good time with your dad, i think i will have a look at going to some of those places

....marvellous read.....
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Cheers all

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Down Bulgaria way..

I’m up very early to pad the streets of Bitola.

Maybe it’s a little bit too early for me, eh.

Breakfast and route planning.

For some reason Garmin wants to route us into Greece no matter how we try to direct it to skirt us directly along into Bulgaria. Per below, we don’t want no Drama, right!

We leave Bitola and head East.

Macedonian borderlands

We reach the border which was crossed really simply at an almost deserted spot. We’re through in minutes. We continue to buzz Eastwards with only a brief roadside stop for a drink.

My riding wan’t very good today at all. For no apparent reason really. I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Early in the afternoon it started to rain, the roads were poor, and I was feeling a bit anxious. We put on boil in the bag gear. The rain got heavier. We got diverted into some hillside village and had to get ourselves out, which was interesting.

I thought about my mum for a bit, and everything calmed down. My riding became good. I think mum was on the back for a little while there.

Earlier in nicer weather we’d booked the Hotel Luxor in Smoylen using the good old app. Very cheap - we each indulge and get a Junior Suite in a hotel for 23 Euros equivalent in the local Bulgarian groat. No breakfast but what the hell.

It continues to rain though is at least letting up a bit by the time we reach our destination A very smiley and friendly lady welcomes us and directs us down to a garage underneath the hotel. We didn’t know about that so that was a bonus.

My budget friendly swanky pad for the night

Another day, another beer.

And yet it still rains, heavy again. Meh.

Another day, another currency.

There’s not much going on here. Probably best to come back in ski season. We find a restaurant that is open in the gloom and the rain which has an interesting menu.

All is ok, nothing amazing. The highlight is the background music soundtrack in the restaurant, which I happen to think is hilarious. I get the waiter to write down what it is.

Scenic Smoylen by night

We have an odd Irish coffee sort of thing with some god awful brandy to accompany it (in all fairness, the waiter warned me it was shit) but that made me all the more curious.
    He was right.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567