Rear subframe corrosion

Ferrett2055

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed signs of corrosion in the rear sub-frame when their bike was still in warranty? I have spotted a few small blue marks which I know is corrosion in its very early stages. If so, what was BMWs reaction? Will they take action, or am I on my own?

There are umpteen threads on corrosion. Most of them end happily. A few don’t, most often because the protagonist is a knob.

Go and see your dealer, present your case and don’t be a knob.

Has anybody noticed signs of corrosion in the rear sub-frame when their bike was still in warranty? I have spotted a few small blue marks which I know is corrosion in its very early stages. If so, what was BMWs reaction? Will they take action, or am I on my own?

f526d719fd6ffa01d5fbe384d587db2e.jpg
e9403558067b24ec24842313e49bb4f7.jpg

Had problems with mine within 6 weeks
But the dealer just fobbed me off and I wasn’t a knob about it.
I ended up painting it my self even though it was still under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst not the rear subframe I had corrosion on my two year old R1200R's centre stand, they changed it under warranty without question.

stand1-e1527419865226.jpg

Whilst not the rear subframe I had corrosion on my two year old R1200R's centre stand, they changed it under warranty without question.

That’s interesting, I have had some items replace for corrosion over the years but never a centre stand. After a year mine have always looked pretty rough. One I had powder coated and the rest I just ignored as they have a tough life getting everything from the rear wheel thrown at them. I have just put helicopter tape on my new one to see does it help at all.

A few weeks ago I noticed a few spots of corrosion on my rear subframe. I reported it to the dealer who took a photograph and within 24 hours BMW had agreed to replace it. Done within three weeks and all good now.

BMW will almost certainly replace it but if the rear has gone take a very close look at the front one too :rolleyes:

On second thoughts. Go over your bike with a magnifying glass as you will no doubt find corrosion elsewhere :blast

Thanks all. I had heard the horror stories and assumed that BMW were the knobs. I shall do my best not to be one🤔

That entire subframe looks faulty. Hard to say as you cannot see what it looks like new but the remaining paint looks dull, scaly and would have gone quickly. The welds look terrible, too.

I can’t believe how thin the paint looks. I have a 2014 with a silver subframe and the paint is that thick it looks like it might actually be power coated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought my bike a few months ago, just under 4 years old with 8000 miles. With the rest of it being mint, the corrosion on the rear subframe was annoying, so stripped it down and had it powder coated. They did a great job, and only £45.
I actually reckon there is no undercoat on the frame from the factory.
Cheers
Dave

Oops, wrong way round, but you get the gist

Attachments

• 1B9F1300-DC78-4A7B-9EDE-230FDE259C5E.jpg
    1B9F1300-DC78-4A7B-9EDE-230FDE259C5E.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 1,004
  • AEA6E68B-FACA-4CBD-B8C9-7259890FBEF2.jpg
    AEA6E68B-FACA-4CBD-B8C9-7259890FBEF2.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 958
Well normally corrosion comes in little dots first and then spreads, seems this corrosion has been going on for a while, or the fairy liquid used has possibly taken the paint off, maybe OP can say a little more, when did he first notice the corrosion...

Bought my bike a few months ago, just under 4 years old with 8000 miles. With the rest of it being mint, the corrosion on the rear subframe was annoying, so stripped it down and had it powder coated. They did a great job, and only £45.
[BI actually reckon there is no undercoat on the frame from the factory][/B]

There isn't !

I had this confirmed to me by the Service Manager at my local dealership.

He told me that the paint process is similar to powder coating in that the metal surface is electrically charged, then the 'paint' is applied. There is no undercoat :blast

I have a mate who has had 1 x GS and 2 x GSAs that corroded in front of his very eyes.

The first GSA he had corroded so badly that the warranty repair cost came to just under £10000 :eek:

His third and latest GSA has just come back with new crankcases due to corrosion :rolleyes:

Thank fuck for BMW warranty and or the support from a great dealer :clap

The tape thing is exactly what I did with my replacement one. BMW also replaced the filler cap, the headlamp and the instrument binnacle at the same time due to defects. As the headlamp alone is over £700 I consider that a good result :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom