Reinstalling TPS?

T12

Reaction score
The TPS was removed on my 09 GS. Would I be opening a can of worms if I wanted to reinstall? I’m away from the bike currently but I believe I have the two tyre sensors and a module (presumably plugged in to the Can bus or elsewhere). It’s going in to Studleys in 2 weeks for a service, how much of a hassle would it be for them to put it back on or given their fragility is it worth just forgetting about?

I’ve tried googling it but haven’t found any clear answers, just a list of issues as and when they malfunction.

Cheers.

T.

I presume you mean ABS? Might be worth asking previous owner why it was bypassed in the first instance? There may have been a problem with the ABS module, not the end of the world you can get them refurbished with a lifetime warranty for around £200. As for how much a dealer would charge to reinstate is anyone's guess!

No, I mean the tyre pressure monitoring system. Apologies, I should have been clearer.

Ah right sorry, TPS is usually Throttle Position Sensor, bike wouldn't be running at all without that :D
Hope you get sorted!

New tyre pressure modules cost about £100 each plus setup time on the diagnostics computer. If yours are old, the batteries can be replaced. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it. You will need to be able to solder electrical wiring.

Thanks Bendy - I've got the 2 tyre units...is there a 3rd element that needs to be plugged back in to the bike? Assuming I can sort the batteries sorted how long do the other elements take to sort or is it just best to leave as is?

I think I may have found an answer to my own question - it doesn't look like something that can be done at the next service next Friday unless someone can tell me otherwise?

The TPMS control module or as BMW call it RDC is located between the pillion seat platform and the mudguard.
It is harder to access if GSA pannier racks are fitted as these also have to be removed.
If you refit the module yourself the sensors should be coded to it provided they are the originals.
At the service BMW should be able to read and write the sensor codes to the ecu / module.
Always advisable for anyone with a working system to read the codes from the ecu with a GS911 and make a note of them for future reference.

Thanks Mistacat - just the detail I was after. It may be one to discuss with Studley’s next week and tackle at a later date. I’d like to have it but don’t want to cause myself a nause reinstalling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RDC module is combined with the alarm gubbins (if the alarm was originally spec'ed as an option) possibly something else to consider.

Mine just has the RDC module there is a space next to it where the alarm module would fit if I had one.
This is on a 2012 TC .
I have not seen a combined module was this on the earlier bikes ?.

It is definitely a combined unit on mine (2007), I guess the question now is when it changed over.

@T12 sorry if this is a red herring not applicable to your bike.

No apology needed - I will investigate what I have on on my '09 GS.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom