Which BMW off road training??

Chadd

Reaction score
Hi
I have a lot of experience of trials riding- 28yrs worth if it. I’ve also been riding road bikes for about 34 years, including tours across Germany on numerous occasions, so have a fair bit of experience riding bikes. However such experience has also taught me never to get overly confident. So, I’m now thinking of doing a bit of green laning (I live in North Yorkshire), but was wondering if anyone could give me advice regarding which bmw off road training course I should undertake first, given my experience. I have ridden a few trails such as RudLand Rigg from Helmsley to Great Ayton over loose rocks, sand, ruts etc. which wasn’t particularly difficult, but there’s always new skill & techniques to be learnt!

I have a feeling that bmw only let you do level 2 if you have done level 1.

Other training courses might be more flexible and take your experience into account.

I enjoyed my level 1 bmw course but there were a couple of people on it who had only had their licences for a very short time and struggled.,Which meant that the instructors spent too much time dealing with very basic confidence building to the detriment of the rest of that group. Fortunately I said I was experienced (many years ago) and so got put in the other group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to Adventure Bike Training in Norfolk.
It was fantastic.
They have a number of bikes to choose from - including a 1200GS.
The tuition is great, instructor very knowledgable ( ex BMW off road school) and you get the tuition tailored to your needs with individual or small groups only.

https://www.adventurebiketraining.co.uk/

A couple of people have said that about having to do the more basic training before progressing onto more challenging stuff. I could be cynical but it’s sounds like typical BMW... get money out of you anyway they can!

I’ve heard good things about Sweet Lamb

I’ve heard good things about Sweet Lamb

I can certify personally, that they are in fact very good things.

I have ridden a few trails such as RudLand Rigg from Helmsley to Great Ayton over loose rocks, sand, ruts etc. which wasn’t particularly difficult, but there’s always new skill & techniques to be learnt!

I've ridden the "tricky bit" of Rudland Rigg on my GSA though downhill, what did you tackle it on?

If your looking to pilot a big adventure bike offroad conservation of momentum is critical so you do have to approach things differently to a lighter machine.

www.adventurerallybike.co.uk

Get thee self over to these guys OP, this place is phenomenal and the instructors...brilliant there is no strict level structure like the ORS.
They do bike hire but I recommend you use your own bike, that way you learn to ride as you normally would, if you don't care about the bike it changes how you approach things.

I can understand the approach of BMW wanting to make sure you progress through Level 1 before Level 2 as one persons 'experienced' can be another persons 'novice'... (It's also not uncommon for the 'experienced' ones to also have a load of bad habits which need unlearning). From the instructors point of view, having a client who has already done a Level 1, means they've got a 'known quantity'. They know the basics have been covered and they have some relative experience under their belt.

However, a good instructor will also be able to see who's competent, who's 'getting it' and will progress through to the more challenging stuff, quicker.

Basically, it's up to you to show you have complete control of your vehicle, as the instructor has to make sure you have a great time but also makes sure you (and your vehicle) get back safely.

My 10p

M

Even on level 1, BMW ORS stream people into groups of about 10 dependant on experience. As the furthest I had ridden off road was Waitrose car park, I was in the novice group. I'm still buzzing 3 months later. It was brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom