F850Gs first ride

Interesting article in this months BMW CLUB magazine re the 850 vs 800 in a test done by Motorrad magazine, for road use buy a newer more modern 850 but if you intend going off road the older F800 will run rings around its successor

Interesting article in this months BMW CLUB magazine re the 850 vs 800 in a test done by Motorrad magazine, for road use buy a newer more modern 850 but if you intend going off road the older F800 will run rings around its successor

This is interesting, as it is the opposite of reviews published on YT.

I have not read the Motorrad article, but in the YT reviews the arguments are that even if the bike is a tad heavier, the 850 has better balance, the 3 lower gears are lower for improved low speed handling and the larger engine with a longer stroke has better pull at low revs.

I have no idea of what is correct. What I do know is that the current F800, of which there currently is one in my garage, sure would benefit from a lower gear, and the fueling at idle made the engine stop at the most inconvenient places (cured by adding an AF_XIED).

As the bikes are out now the future will probably bring lots of reviews. It will be interesting to follow and see if I may save money by not needing to trade ;)

Well I’m looking forward to the 18th as I have to drop my chums F800GSA off for a service and the dealer is giving me the new 850 as a loaner. I’ve always enjoyed riding his 800, so it’ll be interesting I’m sure.

Feel sure it’s a good review and he is a competent rider,
But ,,,,he’s invented a new language American/Yorkshireshire.
Gas tank,highway,,,
Had to turn off.

He's lived in the states for quite some time now. I spent just 3 mths there and years later I was still saying gas station and cell phone occasionally. I likes Jamie, he's just very positive and enthusiastic which is a rare thing nowadays , especially in here :blast
His vids can get a bit 'samey' though i.e. the stuffing his face and licking his fingers thing;)

I enjoyed the review, but moving the fuel tank forwards (and upwards) doesn't improve the low centre of gravity as the reviewer related. But not to worry, I prefer a top-heavy inherently unstable bike for off-tarmac as it means you are more agile.

I am concerned at the ever growing weight of bikes, this isn't far off the weight of the 2004 (lightest) R1200GS.

None adjustable front forks that are a bit soft for on-road use affect the cornering on tarmac? If the surface is smooth I'm not sure what he's on about. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur but I've never adjusted front suspension on bikes that have it.

I always stated the 650/800 had a poor (too narrow) range in the gearbox which was borrowed without mods from the F800S and ST. The lower ratio sprockets of the 800 were better for off-tarmac but then revvy on road, and visa versa for the higher ratio sprockets of the 650. So at last BMW has done the right thing and widened the gear box ratios.

The 650/700/800 lacked a decent way to mount auxiliary lighting which I like to fit on bigger adventure touring bikes to give more road presence. I do hope there's better provision on the 750/850. I imagine the horn will be as weedy as usual.

Very glad to see at long last a digital speedo. I spend more time outside the UK than in it and an analogue speedo that only shows mph or kph is a hinderance.

Major improvement for me is the tubeless tyres. Having struggled too many times in the middle of nowhere changing a tube on a tubed tyre I hate them with a vengeance (I run with mousses on my touring KTM 690 Enduro).

The non-adjustable screen is a PITA. When riding off-tarmac in hot weather you lose airflow whilst at the same time working harder, and need to be able to lower the screen to cool down.

Good points in my opinion, worth taking note..!
Reviewer also brought up some valid points..!
Not a bad first review..

Left my chums bike up at 08:40 only to find that the 850GS wasn’t available. :(

Still, I did have this for a few hours, so 122 miles later, I picked up his 800GSA.
Oh well, some other time I guess. :comfort

Attachments

• 1811B782-E54F-4902-852F-F871BD427FCB.jpg
    1811B782-E54F-4902-852F-F871BD427FCB.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 422
Just took a GS850 and a GS 1250 out with my mate,, I wasn't too impressed with the 850,,Obviously the screen is just pointless, over 60 on the motorway and you're buffeted around quite a lot,and i wouldn't like to spend my hard earned on something i would have to spend extra to be comfy,and if i got a taller screen it wouldn't be adjustable. The front brakes needed a bit more work than im used to and there Brembos and when you have to give it a fistful the front shocks dont half dip,,there non adjustable and to me seemed very soft/spongy,Throttle response was a bit slow on setting off but the mid-range was brilliant,Im not slating it for any reason it just i was after a bit of a fun bike to go alongside my RT and it was a choice between the GS 850 and the Tiger 800, I'll try and get a run on a Tiger soon,,As for the 1250 ,,,well its a lovely bit of kit smooth through the gears with a great throttle response and even on the low seat setting i could just flat foot (29" inside leg)Only downside was that the Ackra was a bit of a drone after a few miles,,
I couldn't put any pics up for some reason
Rick

Just took a GS850 and a GS 1250 out with my mate,, I wasn't too impressed with the 850,,Obviously the screen is just pointless, over 60 on the motorway and you're buffeted around quite a lot,and i wouldn't like to spend my hard earned on something i would have to spend extra to be comfy,and if i got a taller screen it wouldn't be adjustable. The front brakes needed a bit more work than im used to and there Brembos and when you have to give it a fistful the front shocks dont half dip,,there non adjustable and to me seemed very soft/spongy,Throttle response was a bit slow on setting off but the mid-range was brilliant,Im not slating it for any reason it just i was after a bit of a fun bike to go alongside my RT and it was a choice between the GS 850 and the Tiger 800, I'll try and get a run on a Tiger soon,,As for the 1250 ,,,well its a lovely bit of kit smooth through the gears with a great throttle response and even on the low seat setting i could just flat foot (29" inside leg)Only downside was that the Ackra was a bit of a drone after a few miles,,
I couldn't put any pics up for some reason
Rick

Try the F750GS you will be surprised!

Back
Top Bottom