Haynes or Clymer?

flytoolow

Reaction score
Well, I think I need to replace something / fix something around a starter motor on an R80 GSPD
..Its just going "Click"..not even "Click..Click..Click" and leads are getting hot...and The battery is fully charged...

So which is the better Value a Haynes manual or the Clymer manual, at about twice the price...

Cheers

F2L

Haynes gives simple enough explanations

Clymer is lots of writing and pictures and if you are any way intelligent Haynes will suffice for the ordinary DIY

P.S. I think the magnets have fallen off in your starter and are jamming it from turning STOP trying to start it!!

Before you start burning out the electronic ignition with current surges!!

If you are just replacing the starter you wont need either manual. Its easy. Also, lots of tutorials on youtube for the more common issues, often much more helpful as you can actually see the process......

Haynes gives simple enough explanations

Clymer is lots of writing and pictures and if you are any way intelligent Haynes will suffice for the ordinary DIY

P.S. I think the magnets have fallen off in your starter and are jamming it from turning STOP trying to start it!!

Before you start burning out the electronic ignition with current surges!!

Coming from the other end of the technical specturm (i.e: The Doctor knows his shit /i know: i'm shit) i agree with him.
I've used both. Haynes is less cluttered and more to the point. If you are reasonably competent with a spanner it's better practical use than a Clymer.

I use all 3 in a paranoid way since I've heard of there being different torque figures for some of the fasteners . So for spline lube I made a little chart with the specs for each fastener from Haynes, Clymer and BMW workshop manual. How sad is that :eek:

I use all 3 in a paranoid way since I've heard of there being different torque figures for some of the fasteners . So for spline lube I made a little chart with the specs for each fastener from Haynes, Clymer and BMW workshop manual. How sad is that :eek:

I used to be a bit like that, but over time I realised the airhead is about as refined as a hammer. You wouldn't use a torque wrench on a hammer would you?

:D

Each to his own.

Of course, but using a weedy 1/4 drive ratchet to crack off a starter bolt is probably pushing it way beyond its mechanical capability, with the very real possibility of prodigious claret and strong language.......

Of course, but using a weedy 1/4 drive ratchet to crack off a starter bolt is probably pushing it way beyond its mechanical capability, with the very real possibility of prodigious claret and strong language.......

Very true. Hence my use of the words "really trustworthy" :)

I actually did a starter swap last week, and the Snap~On ratchet is still trustworthy thank goodness, as I don't have any swivel headed spanners.

Back
Top Bottom