Tom Tom Rider 550

Mine arrived today, invoice for £316.99 :D Go figure..........

Anyway, I'm not going to have a chance to use it on the bike for a couple of weeks as I'll be away on the bike and don't have time to sort it BUT I have had a general play with the functions and set up and my god it's a world apart from Garmin.

So much more intuitive. So much clearer and easy to use. So much faster to carry out commands and just.........well........how I want a GPS to be. If the routing/mapping is as good I'll be very happy and only wish I'd moved away from Garmin ages ago :beerjug:

Andres

Mine arrived today with the same price :D

Fitted my Tom Tom 550 mount/power cable to Kwak.
Seems pretty good but not used it as such.
I updated the maps over wifi-it asks you to have it powered up.How are you supposed to do that ?
If it's on your bike or in a car using the car mount etc, you may not be in range of wifi !!

I updated the maps over wifi-it asks you to have it powered up.How are you supposed to do that ?
If it's on your bike or in a car using the car mount etc, you may not be in range of wifi !!

Either connect the power lead to you USB socket on your computer (sorta negates the wi-fi bit ;) ) or, as I did, connect to a USB charger/plug thing (I used the one for my iPhone).

Andres

Either connect the power lead to you USB socket on your computer (sorta negates the wi-fi bit ;) ) or, as I did, connect to a USB charger/plug thing (I used the one for my iPhone).

Andres

Ah yes, because the power cable comes in two ? Not even looked at the USB cable yet .

Andres

Not sure if it was just me but took ages to find the actual USB socket on it !
The rubber moulding is quite good at hiding it.

On another note was using it on the GS310 today and screen was terrible. Very dark. Brightness was max but could hardly see a thing on the screen.
Seemed like backlight was not working at all.
Completely powered it down and restarted and backlight came back.

Easier to fit as 12v/5v regulator is in unit so you can power cradle directly from 12v without draining battery. It replaced a Zumo 340 and that had a separate regulator, so flattened battery if I didn't plug trickle charger into bike.

Fitted my Tom Tom 550 mount/power cable to Kwak.
Seems pretty good but not used it as such.

Once you’ve used it, it’ll be charged up, so just remove it from the cradle and charge it from anywhere with a WiFi signal

Actually I thought that was just for the SD card ?

not that one, t'other one

I only realised when saw there was a USB cable in box, so there must be a socket on it.

Oh and I did RTFM, pics only shows card slot.

not that one, t'other one

I only realised when saw there was a USB cable in box, so there must be a socket on it.

Oh and I did RTFM, pics only shows card slot.

I'd not really looked,but yes, I've found the other flap now !! Ta

On another subject, I don't use sat navs on my bikes all the time, and have always got the little covers for the Garmin mounts to protect the contacts etc.

But the TomTom mounts don't seem quite so catered for.But I found this kit online so have ordered one.
The anti-glare protector will be handy and I guess the cable protector thingy will make it more secure, but I really only wanted the mount cover !!

(I know it says TomTom 400 but it fits the 550 too)

Mine arrived today, invoice for £316.99 :D Go figure..........

Anyway, I'm not going to have a chance to use it on the bike for a couple of weeks as I'll be away on the bike and don't have time to sort it BUT I have had a general play with the functions and set up and my god it's a world apart from Garmin.

So much more intuitive. So much clearer and easy to use. So much faster to carry out commands and just.........well........how I want a GPS to be. If the routing/mapping is as good I'll be very happy and only wish I'd moved away from Garmin ages ago :beerjug:

Andres

Is the screen as bright as the Nav 6? TFT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s brighter, from my memory of the Nav 6, and it’s definitely much faster and more responsive. Trying it out on the bike tomorrow, once my home made mount is finished, for my ATAS.

The Nav 6 is brighter, but is a bag of overpriced shite, compared to the TomTom.

The Nav 6 is brighter, but is a bag of overpriced shite, compared to the TomTom.

But it does link with the whizz wheel. Yesterday the 6 worked well. Fast. Clear. But on the KTM you miss the wheel, I do amyway. Wish TomTom would produce a bar remote that offers that functionality.

There's a photo of one online. Will read.

<s>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk</s> No-one cares

I can only compare it to the Garmin 660 - the TomTom screen is far better in bright weather than that. In fact the useless screen visibility on the 660, even with a sunshade on, was what drove me to replace the unit in the end...

does the 550 use the same bike mount as the 400, can you just put the 550 into the gps mount already on your bike?

But it does link with the whizz wheel. Yesterday the 6 worked well. Fast. Clear. But on the KTM you miss the wheel, I do amyway. Wish TomTom would produce a bar remote that offers that functionality.

There's a photo of one online. Will read.

Yep, I miss the handlebar wheel, but have got used to taking my left hand off the bar to zoom in and out etc. A handlebar remote would be a good idea.

Available from FC Moto.de for £319, with free delivery, at present (use discount code FCMOTO10EN at checkout for 10% off)...

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered one as well. Will be my first non-Garmin satnav, and only decided to change as the screen on my 660 seems to be getting more & more difficult to see in anything other than dull weather conditions.

Back
Top Bottom