Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 33 to 44 of 44

Thread: Paddys go on Tour August 2018

  1. #33
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    I think we both get a lot of pleasure from the planning and checking maps / creating routes before the actual trip. I know I do. For the last few years I've ridden about mainland Europe for a couple of weeks every summer and always get great weather apart from the old rain shower. I'm very happy, riding solo, doing 300 or 400 miles a day (subject to the kind of road I'm on) so long as the weather is nice. This year, en route, to the Mugello MotoGP, I planned to ride about the Dolomites for a couple of days and did loads of map checking and making routes, etc. I arrived at Arabba, found a hotel, parked the bike and then the heavens opened and poured rain all night and the next day with the forecast for more heavy rain and thunderstorms.Riding mountain passes in pouring rain all day isn't my idea of fun so I headed south. I hope you get brilliant weather all trip and have a fantastic time but I hadn't counted on the fact that the weather might be bad and didn't have a contingency plan (I still haven't) but will have to think of one just in case. I'll have to go back to ride the Pordoi Pass!
    Yep, must admit I get a real buzz from sitting down and planning a trip before heading off. That said, I also love when things don't quite go to plan and you have to re-jig things mid journey. Sometimes the best moments happen when things don't go to plan. With a group the size of ours the only option was to pre-book accommodation else we ran the risk of having nowhere to stay. Would love to do a trip where each day just develops on the fly depending on weather/mood/alignment of the stars/etc. - when you don't know what's coming next, it's even more exciting!

    Hopefully the weather will be kind to us but it's a case of we get what we get. I'm just back from five days cycling in the west of France and we were baked out of it in temps up to 32 degC! Hours after we arrived in Nantes it bucketed down for hours along with thunder and lightning. All the while the sun was blazing down back home in Ireland! So it's just a case of bringing the right gear to cope with whatever may come...being Irish I hope my saturation levels are pretty high.

    Sure, whatever we miss is simply an excuse to come back and do it again - I'm not one for leaving a job unfunished!

  2. #34
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dallas, Scotland
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    Yep, must admit I get a real buzz from sitting down and planning a trip before heading off. That said, I also love when things don't quite go to plan and you have to re-jig things mid journey. Sometimes the best moments happen when things don't go to plan. With a group the size of ours the only option was to pre-book accommodation else we ran the risk of having nowhere to stay. Would love to do a trip where each day just develops on the fly depending on weather/mood/alignment of the stars/etc. - when you don't know what's coming next, it's even more exciting!

    Hopefully the weather will be kind to us but it's a case of we get what we get. I'm just back from five days cycling in the west of France and we were baked out of it in temps up to 32 degC! Hours after we arrived in Nantes it bucketed down for hours along with thunder and lightning. All the while the sun was blazing down back home in Ireland! So it's just a case of bringing the right gear to cope with whatever may come...being Irish I hope my saturation levels are pretty high.

    Sure, whatever we miss is simply an excuse to come back and do it again - I'm not one for leaving a job unfunished!
    I fully agree with you as I like to "wing it" as I go along too despite having very detailed plans in hand - it makes it more fun sometimes, as you said. I sent home pictures of hammering rain in the Dolomites and my wife sent me glorious pics. of sunsets in the Scottish highlands!
    I'll just have to visit the Dolomites another trip and hope for dry weather. What didn't help was my BMW waterproof gloves weren't after 230 miles in pouring rain from Genova to Barolo, south of Turin. My 10 year old H-G suit was fine but wringing wet hands and poor visibility didn't make for a happy day!
    I hope you have a great time.
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

  3. #35
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    I fully agree with you as I like to "wing it" as I go along too despite having very detailed plans in hand - it makes it more fun sometimes, as you said. I sent home pictures of hammering rain in the Dolomites and my wife sent me glorious pics. of sunsets in the Scottish highlands!
    I'll just have to visit the Dolomites another trip and hope for dry weather. What didn't help was my BMW waterproof gloves weren't after 230 miles in pouring rain from Genova to Barolo, south of Turin. My 10 year old H-G suit was fine but wringing wet hands and poor visibility didn't make for a happy day!
    I hope you have a great time.
    Wow, 230 miles of rain - that's a lot of water and a lot of squinting! Wee tip re the wet gloves - you know those disposable plastic gloves they have at petrol station pumps? Stuff a few into your pocket and when it buckets down just pop them on under your gloves. Can be a bit sweaty but should keep your hands reasonably dry. I've yet to find gloves that can completely prevent water ingress, be it through the glove itself or via where the glove cuff meets the jacket sleeve.

  4. #36
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dallas, Scotland
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    Day 11 - Bled to Grossglockner - 290km approx

    And we're on the move again! We retrace our steps back as far as Kranjska Gora and then it's north back into Austria and over the Wurzen Pass (keeping an eye out for the Russian tank). With some much appreciated advice from The Grey One (aka John), we'll be heading north past Villach and then onto the Nockalmstrasse which is meant to be a cracker of a road. If the YT videos are anything to go by, we won't be disappointed! Really looking forward to this part of the trip as we'll be fresh from a few days rest and gumming to see more new stuff on our travels.

    After the Nockalmstrasse we head west on the B106 until turning north onto the B107. Accommodation tonight is a real treat - we're booked into the Edelweisshutte right at the top of the Grossglockner Pass. With a bit of luck the weather'll be nice and we'll get to enjoy the mountain views which are meant to be spectacular, most especially at dawn.

    God, even writing this is getting the excitement levels up! I've even installed a countdown app on my phone!! If only Carlsberg did fast forward buttons...then again, I shouldn't be wishing my life away. Think I'll need to do some dummy packing sessions to find out what fits where on the bike. Anything to scratch the itch of anticipation.
    I've ridden the Nockaltrasse ( north to south) and there's cattle grid on a downhill bend (ask "the grey one " he used to live there) be careful if it's wet. If you want genuine cattle bells the sell them at themGnund garden centre no far from the end of the Nckalmstrasse.

    Take care, have fun, enjoy.
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

  5. #37
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    I've ridden the Nockaltrasse ( north to south) and there's cattle grid on a downhill bend (ask "the grey one " he used to live there) be careful if it's wet. If you want genuine cattle bells the sell them at themGnund garden centre no far from the end of the Nckalmstrasse.

    Take care, have fun, enjoy.
    Nice one - thanks for the tip. Any idea of even the general location of the cattle grid? We'll be riding it from South to North so mightn't be as much of an issue. Always like to give the rest of the group the heads-up in advance - better safe than sorry and all that.

  6. #38
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Dallas, Scotland
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    Nice one - thanks for the tip. Any idea of even the general location of the cattle grid? We'll be riding it from South to North so mightn't be as much of an issue. Always like to give the rest of the group the heads-up in advance - better safe than sorry and all that.
    From memory, it was couple of years ago and very windy, I think it wasn't very far from the cafe at the top near where the road levelled (or, in your case, where it start to get a bit steeper. If you pm "the grey one" he'll know as he used to run the gasthaus in Malta nearby.
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

  7. #39
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    From memory, it was couple of years ago and very windy, I think it wasn't very far from the cafe at the top near where the road levelled (or, in your case, where it start to get a bit steeper. If you pm "the grey one" he'll know as he used to run the gasthaus in Malta nearby.
    I'll drop him a line - he was already most helpful pointing me towards the Nockalmstrasse in the first place... Thanks again, Seán.

  8. #40
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
    Have my eye on a well cared for OnePlus 5T.........

    Sent from a U11
    You can have it - as long as you buy me a shiny new Oneplus 6 to replace it!

  9. #41
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Naas, Ireland
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    You can have it - as long as you buy me a shiny new Oneplus 6 to replace it!
    Fantastic deal......

    Sent from a U11

  10. #42
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
    Fantastic deal......

    Sent from a U11
    You know me...always thinking of others first!

  11. #43
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Naas, Ireland
    Posts
    3,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
    You know me...always thinking of others first!
    Phone will have to wait.........need new tyres after 10 days of "spirited" riding on the Iberian Peninsula.

    Sent from a U11

  12. #44
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kilcullen, Ireland
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
    Phone will have to wait.........need new tyres after 10 days of "spirited" riding on the Iberian Peninsula.

    Sent from a U11
    Excellent! Money well spent!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"