TFT Retrofit for 2016/2017 models in 2019

Whatever makes you happy, that's why we have a choice to buy it or not. In reality, it will become standard at some point in the near future

In reality it's pretty much standard now on U.K. bikes with dealers offering a "free" upgrade to TFT, my point and the point of the thread is, is it worth £1500 as a retrofit upgrade? For me it's not.

Why would anyone pay £1500 for the TFT? It ain’t that good. :nenau

You may as well put the money towards updating to a newer bike if you really can’t live without it. You’ll never get that money back, especially as the next GS will have it as standard and the arse will fall out of the second hand values of the current GS anyway.

How does one confirm that information?

Not sure about that, but I have now seen on ADVRIDER forum they are talking about all bikes with the ODB2 connector, but if BMW are talking 2016/2017 bikes, I thought only 2017 and later bikes had the ODB2 connector, however looking at link below shows bikes from 08/2016 have this harness, but is all very confusing as seems to be same harness from 2013 except the change to the Euro4 ODB2 plug.

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/parts/info/Engine+wiring+harness/12518544470

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search/selectGroup/56207/61_3179

You may as well put the money towards updating to a newer bike if you really can’t live without it. You’ll never get that money back, especially as the next GS will have it as standard and the arse will fall out of the second hand values of the current GS anyway.

Firstly, its way better to see than the standard clocks. Thats a fact.

The RRP increased on all GSA models just after I bought mine. So I've started at a lower price point anyway.

I'll still have my old clocks and wiring, so will be able to sell the old clocks and recover some cash, making the change price better.

It won't take long before some clever bod on here figures out a DIY changeover for peanuts.

Second hand values only matter if you intend to sell the bike soon, which I dont. The new planned 1250 model is to new to consider a reliable option for at least 2 years from release.

So if you have the spare money for a farkle, why not. People spend £1500 on a new suit, or Exhaust system, or suspension, or wheel set.

Doesn't matter what it is if the rider feels happier and content with his lot.

Oh... and why pay £3,500 tax again on buying a new bike... to save £1,500 on a TFT Screen upgrade?

That really makes no sense

Im more than happy with the TFT Connectivity. I initially bought it just because I liked the look of it. I then invested into a decent BT 4.1 Headset and it unlocked a whole new world for me. Yes, Ive heard all the "Who wants music and phone calls" bollox......... Horses for courses. But on my 4k mile , month away trips abroad its nice (For me)
My only hope is this first generation TFT receives support/upgrades for a few years to come.

Precisely !! BMW really are bastards with regard to marketing ! They charge extra for this TFT then do a special offer to include it free on a new bike and blinkered muppets fall for it and think they're getting a good deal......meanwhile other manufacturers such as KTM who were at least 12 months ahead of BMW in getting a TFT out, include it as standard from the beginning.

Precisely !! BMW really are bastards with regard to marketing ! They charge extra for this TFT then do a special offer to include it free on a new bike and blinkered muppets fall for it and think they're getting a good deal......meanwhile other manufacturers such as KTM who were at least 12 months ahead of BMW in getting a TFT out, include it as standard from the beginning.

That is why they are so big, they are clever cnuts.

Its called ....... Marketing :nenau

Supply and demand. And "New" is always in demand.

Well if an updated TFT come along mated with the upcoming new engine your going to want to wait at leat 6 months after release for all the beta testing to be done.

I wonder are they going to heavily revise the bikes or just slot the engine in with some minor face lifts etc

Now I'm no tech but surely if our 2016/2017 bikes are able to feed the data to our sat navs which show all the vital data in duplicate then the same data can be uploaded onto a TFT screen?????????

My Nav5 shows speed etc. The only thing I can think of that is not sent to the nav5/nav6 is the bike's RPM. Ergo they should be able to populate the data on a upgrade to TFT with this wizardry...........:nenau

Now I'm no tech but surely if our 2016/2017 bikes are able to feed the data to our sat navs which show all the vital data in duplicate then the same data can be uploaded onto a TFT screen?????????

My Nav5 shows speed etc. The only thing I can think of that is not sent to the nav5/nav6 is the bike's RPM. Ergo they should be able to populate the data on a upgrade to TFT with this wizardry...........:nenau

Think basically it is as simple as that, and BMW have had everyone over, now for their next party trick, to make some part with cash.

I think we are being treated as cash cows by our Teutonic friends. But they rule so I suppose that’s it!

Ye, and if you have the money its all good:D

I think we are being treated as cash cows by our Teutonic friends. But they rule so I suppose that’s it!

Sssh.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jVygqjyS4CA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom