TFT Retrofit for 2016/2017 models in 2019

But I don't see the point either, until I've gathered all the information. Until I know what I'm dealing with, I can't make an informed decision.

Once I know what parts I need, the costs, and how much I can get for selling the old parts, so I have a 'cost to change' value.... then I won't know if it's worth it.

I may recover £300 to £500 back from selling the old unwanted switchgear, dashboard parts..... which will bring the costs down.

I paid £15,800 for my new GSA Triple Black (On The Road) in March 2017. It's a lot of bike and has everything I want (including Hill Start Assist), and at 13,000 miles is just run in. The equivalent new R1250 bike cost is now £18,100. If I Px mine today, I'd probably get £11,000 (if I'm lucky). So the cost to change is going to be £7k to £8k.

I've put £6,000 aside this month to pay off my Africa Twin, so that's sorted, and I get a whole additional bike for that.

... and I've done so much work on my R1200 I'm not ready to give it up just yet.... I'm loath to hand BMW another £7k or £8k for an updated bike, not just yet (and I want a Triple Black version anyways)

So I'm exploring my options on this TFT Screen refresh, and overall, I probably won't pay much more than someone paid for the 2018 R1200GSA Triple Black with TFT Screen (as the prices went up again soon after I bought mine) :D

I'd be very surprised if it's plug and play without the code being added to the ECU. There is no retrofit option that I can see in ISTA +.

The option code for the TFT screen is 6AB, it's possible it may work if you add the code(s) to the ECU and encode them properly. Would be an interesting project for sure.

I'd be very surprised if it's plug and play without the code being added to the ECU. There is no retrofit option that I can see in ISTA +.

The option code for the TFT screen is 6AB, it's possible it may work if you add the code(s) to the ECU and encode them properly. Would be an interesting project for sure.

Fred I was told clearly by the dealer that the bikes before August 2017 that did not have the TFT had to have a different wiring loom totally, and another thought came to mind, it would not be hard for BMW to lock the TFT to the VIN number of the bike like the GS911 and then if bike was stolen it could not be sold on, and if bike was crashed the owner could inform BMW to be able to sell the part on, just a thought, but I bet BMW would rather oblige the peeps to buy a new one from them.............:blast

Fred I was told clearly by the dealer that the bikes before August 2017 that did not have the TFT had to have a different wiring loom totally, and another thought came to mind, it would not be hard for BMW to lock the TFT to the VIN number of the bike like the GS911 and then if bike was stolen it could not be sold on, and if bike was crashed the owner could inform BMW to be able to sell the part on, just a thought, but I bet BMW would rather oblige the peeps to buy a new one from them.............:blast

lol dealer...I would never trust anything that comes out of a dealers mouth. Most of them know very little.

lol dealer...I would never trust anything that comes out of a dealers mouth. Most of them know very little.

Must agree Fred, but given BMW is new to me I tend to listen maybe a little to much to them, if it was a Harley less complicated.........;) but not so sure with the new one,s

Only if you buy all the bits new.... how long will it be before the parts start appearing on eBay for £200
Has anyone actually bought secondhand clocks and got them to work.

It was my understanding that the clocks were programmed to the ECU and could not be changed. i.e once the clocks are on the bike then they cannot be moved to another bike

Just clicked in my mind TFT is actually not that bad for peeps in the UK, as is easier to sell bike overseas, as no more problems with MPH/KMH analog clocks....:rob

Back
Top Bottom