R Nine T shock

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm getting a new rear shock and notice that extra height can be ordered, and I wondered what difference various heights would make ? say adding 5mm or 20mm ?

I ride solo, no luggage and fairly briskly, on our Highland roads which can be quite rough, the bike is new and the standard BMW shock is to put it mildly pretty awful. The bike tends to run slightly wide into bends unless I give it some input on the bars. The tyres (tubed type) are set at 36lbs front and rear.

I've tried to set the rear sag (no adjustment on front) with wheel off the floor, no preload and no rebound, I get 20", when I sit the bike on the ground, the measurement is still 20", when I sit on the bike with all my gear on the suspension compresses 7/8ths. So the rear is quite hard without any preload or rebound.

Just wondering if the bike runs wide would upping the rear help, an by how much ?

Talk to Revs Racing.

Running wide = more counter steering needed. Usually opening throttle on same lean angle will make bike run wide & feel like its standing up. Higher speed needs more lean to maintain the same curve.

Problem might be stodgy tyres. I find that ordinary Tourance on the GSA make the bike feel heavy. TKC70 make it feel super light to the point of near instability. Road Attack are much the same as Trail Attack.

Lifting the back will quicken steering with reduced stability.

Try altering the handlebars to move rider weight forward.

Back
Top Bottom