La Bañeza road races

Timbo1965

Reaction score
After going to the NW200. Me and some friends are looking for road races in Europe and I found La Bañeza on the internet. It's in Leon, Spain and I've ridden there before so have a rough idea of the area. But some of our group don't ride or do pillion. So it'll be a fly/drive job. I was wondering if anyone has been to these races before and if so are there any tips you could share.

Blimey! I've never heard of this - not being a fan of Moto GP, etc. that's not such a surprise but it is off that it hasn't been on the telly over the past twenty-odd years that I've lived here!

Looking at the web site I'm really keen to go sometime, who knows maybe this year- I need a break and to get back on my bike for a week or so ...

Thanks for posting! :)

Simon

PS don't watch this while you munching away at your toasted soldiers dipped in your soft boiled eggs!

Blimey! I've never heard of this - not being a fan of Moto GP, etc. that's not such a surprise but it is off that it hasn't been on the telly over the past twenty-odd years that I've lived here!

Looking at the web site I'm really keen to go sometime, who knows maybe this year- I need a break and to get back on my bike for a week or so ...

Thanks for posting! :)

Simon

PS don't watch this while you munching away at your toasted soldiers dipped in your soft boiled eggs!

That's the spanish motocycle passion for you; easy to see why they produce so many good riders; everyone loves bikes. Expect to see plenty of , Bulto's, montesa's, and ossa's; it's been on my radar for a few years; and hopefully one day i will be hung over the straw bails; or pulling my tootsies back from the kerb.:beerjug:

.................... it's been on my radar for a few years; and hopefully one day i will be hung over the straw bails; or pulling my tootsies back from the kerb.:beerjug:

You and me both (in fact I think we've discussed it on here before?). Anyway, what ever, I need to get my arse into gear and JFDI!

Andres

You and me both (in fact I think we've discussed it on here before?). Anyway, what ever, I need to get my arse into gear and JFDI!

Andres

Ha ha, or rather Je je! :)

Me too, but the thought of riding all the way across central Spain in the height of the holiday month is horrific - better take a month and go the long way round via Cantabria and Galicia ...

Or go to the MC Piston in October! :)

Simon

By The way, Simon. Haven't forgotten about talking to my friend the ins broker about greenlaning in CV. Just haven't had the chance to see him.

Hope you're well.

By The way, Simon. Haven't forgotten about talking to my friend the ins broker about greenlaning in CV. Just haven't had the chance to see him.

Hope you're well.

Thanks Fred. Yes we're all fine, even getting out only bike despite the holiday traffic ... have a great time over the weekend! :)

Simon

That looks like a right laugh!

Shame it's not on a month later as I'll be passing close by on the way back from Portugal on the 18th Sept.

That looks like a right laugh!

Shame it's not on a month later as I'll be passing close by on the way back from Portugal on the 18th Sept.

And we'll be making our way down to Portugal on the 19th, but not that way.

If you're coming up that way I can recommend Puebla de Sanabria to stay in, but stay up in the village on the hill (not down below). On weekends they don't allow traffic (not sure about August). The road from there to Bañeza is a great little road where you can really get a nice pace on. You'll also have it pretty much to yourself. It's the Z125/LE125.

I assume that you're making your way back towards Santander/Bilbao for the Ferry so if you'll permit me another recommendation:

Just north of Leon there is a reservoire called barrios de Luna. It has the A66 going through it. The road you need is the one that goes to the east of the reservoire. It has just been blacktopped and is a joy to ride with great views. There is a bikers cafe about half way along nestled in the higher part, you can't miss it.

Then you need to go east and you can either follow the LE473 all the way east to pick up the N630 north, or you can take a very little known route through the mountains (all asphalt), through a little tunnel in the peak and out the other side along the plains between the mountains to Pajares. On the very top of the Pajares Pass you will find a Parador for a coffee or lodgings.

Attachments

• luna.jpg
    luna.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 289
Just north of Leon there is a reservoire called barrios de Luna. It has the A66 going through it. The road you need is the one that goes to the east of the reservoire. It has just been blacktopped and is a joy to ride with great views. There is a bikers cafe about half way along nestled in the higher part, you can't miss it.

That's very good news other about the new surface on the east road - I rode it back in 2011 and to was about the worst few hours riding in my life - and that's saying something! :)

Regs

Simon

In June

Attachments

• IMG_6714.jpg
    IMG_6714.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_6711.jpg
    IMG_6711.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_6710.jpg
    IMG_6710.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_6708.jpg
    IMG_6708.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 279
And again. You can clearly see that they have resurfaced the road nicely. I can't upload the last two but no matter, you can clearly see it in the other four.

Thanks for the heads up regarding a route back. Can't remember off the top of my head what route I've already planned but I'll have a look later at amending it to include your suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up regarding a route back. Can't remember off the top of my head what route I've already planned but I'll have a look later at amending it to include your suggestions.

A bit of a detour but if you like camping in wonderful places go to camping Lago de Somiedo which is pretty much my favourite place - NB they rent real woollen blankets for €1 per night, and you need them! :)

camping-del-lago.jpg

- and the road there is fantastic too!

Talkin of roads, here's Fred's back in the bad od days:

old-vs-new.jpg

I don't recall seeing a biker's café then Fred, is it new? Mind you I was riding home after Sunday lunch with friends in León city, which was preceded by a crawl around the zona humida ...

Regs

Simon

And we'll be making our way down to Portugal on the 19th, but not that way.

If you're coming up that way I can recommend Puebla de Sanabria to stay in, but stay up in the village on the hill (not down below). On weekends they don't allow traffic (not sure about August). The road from there to Bañeza is a great little road where you can really get a nice pace on. You'll also have it pretty much to yourself. It's the Z125/LE125.

I assume that you're making your way back towards Santander/Bilbao for the Ferry so if you'll permit me another recommendation:

Then you need to go east and you can either follow the LE473 all the way east to pick up the N630 north, or you can take a very little known route through the mountains (all asphalt), through a little tunnel in the peak and out the other side along the plains between the mountains to Pajares. On the very top of the Pajares Pass you will find a Parador for a coffee or lodgings.

Fred - I've seen the first road you suggested and I reckon I could alter my existing plan to accommodate that road up the east of the reservoir - I was going to go north from Ponferrada and east on the CL-626 to come in across the north of the lake. As to where the "little used mountain road" is, Gawd knows! I have a Michelin 1:250,000 map and nothing is shown. I normally use Tyre but now Google maps aren't supported I can't zoom in and see the road you mean. MyRouteApp doesn't say anything other than "unnamed mountain road" and there are a few of them! I'll be fully luggaged up with the missus onboard so really don't want anything nadgery. May just head East and pick up the main road.
Thanks anywayfor the heads up

Fred - I've seen the first road you suggested and I reckon I could alter my existing plan to accommodate that road up the east of the reservoir - I was going to go north from Ponferrada and east on the CL-626 to come in across the north of the lake. As to where the "little used mountain road" is, Gawd knows! I have a Michelin 1:250,000 map and nothing is shown. I normally use Tyre but now Google maps aren't supported I can't zoom in and see the road you mean. MyRouteApp doesn't say anything other than "unnamed mountain road" and there are a few of them! I'll be fully luggaged up with the missus onboard so really don't want anything nadgery. May just head East and pick up the main road.
Thanks anywayfor the heads up

Could it be the CV-103-3 that leaves the LE-473 after a few miles to go though Cubillas de Arbás and comes back to civilisation at Villamanín? That certainly looks like a lovely little jaunt! :)

Regs

Simon

Hi Simon,

It's at the top of the hill between the tall cliff, on the right. It says: "Bikers Welcome". It may be a relatively new venture. having already made a tech stop beforehand I didn't stop to take a rest, just some photos of the area. Sadly not the cafe itself.

DM:

If you come to it via the North you will miss the best part of the road. But you can ride it south and then return up it (it's only a few miles resting at the cafe on your return).

The "little known" road of which I speak is drawn on the map. The LE3503 (on Google Maps) It's easily navegable with two up, there is no gravel or rocky part and it's not tricky. Simon has it as the CV 103 3 but it must be the same road as it does, indeed, go through Cubillas. However, it is a road still in the state that the lake road was in before it was blacktopped, so not smooth and silky. What I liked about it is that it was quiet and the area is a plain between peaks. It leads nicely onto the road going to the Pajares mountain pass. The road east may be nice too but I didn't travel on it. It too will lead you to the N630 to Pajares.

Whatever route you choose, enjoy. :thumb

Sorry about the orientation of the photo. Not sure how to correct that.

Attachments

• IMG_6699.jpg
    IMG_6699.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 08.41.16.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 08.41.16.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 77

Back
Top Bottom