K1600 GTL - seat and screen options??

Jesim1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I took one of these for a blast today and have to say it was awesome - in top gear at 30mph and can pull away to over 150mph without changing - not that I was that extreme - but I kept looking for gears due to the sound and it kept pulling - so up I went!

Anyway - A couple of bits I may change if I got one were:

1. The seat - the standard one feels just a bit low for me at 6'1"

2. The screen - It was excellent until I got to around the 70mph mark, then it began to buffet and suck me forward.

So does anyone have any experience of these issues or can suggest after market or BMW items which help or resolve these??

Really interested to know of your opinions.

Thanks

James

Try the GT. The seat is higher.

They all do that. Adjust the screen on the go or put the top box on. It does make a difference.

Try the GT. The seat is higher.

They all do that. Adjust the screen on the go or put the top box on. It does make a difference.

Thanks

I want it for two up, so the GTL rather than the GT is what I'm looking for, and the test ride I had was with top box and pillion in place, and I tried adjusting the screen also, but it was only good below 70mph.

James

The GT is fine two up.

Try it before spending.

Just tried one today along with a HD Electra Glide.

The glide was just not for me, I was looking at a 2015 model, but still too much vibration and the seating position had me too tilted back - so my weight was on the back of my bum and my thighs were tired lifting my feet to use the gears and brake. My wife was on the back and was getting a headache with the noise and vibration also, she did not give it here seal of approval!

The GT on the other hand was very much like the GTL I tried yesterday - which is kind of what I expected, but I like the top box seating and seat, even though I need a slightly higher one which I'll sort in time.

So looks like I'll be going for a K1600GTL imminently - probably tomorrow in fact!

Thanks for all the input.

James

hello there, i have an exclusive,and opted for the high seat which for my 5'11'' frame transformed the ride for me.Rode down to gibralter last year two up on the standard seat and was not too impressed at all,way too low and bars too high.with the high seat, it leans you slightly forward and takes the weight off your back, with a more comfortable leg angle and still able to flat foot both feet when stationary. Standard screen is fine once you get use to adjusting on the fly, good luck with your choice

Like you, at 6' 1" I found the GTL seat far too low and tbh it made the bike quite uncomfortable for me. I transformed it with a 1 1/2" higher seat from Russell Cycle Products and a footrest lowering kit.

Raising the seat made the poor screen worse for me, and I fixed that with a tall & wide screen from Calsci. These can have an optional vent , supposedly to reduce negative air preasure behind the screen but I found that to be a waste of money.

The combination was a riding position that was a silent bubble of serenity, where I felt as fresh at the end of the day as the beginning.

Thanks Guys

I bought the GTL I tried on Saturday along with an order for a high seat - the extra high seat is only available on a new bike, not as an accessory - stupid, but hey ho.

I'll see what the bike is like with the different seat on it before I try the screen - but the Calsi with the vent is the one I'm drawn to, especially as the importer is only 15 miles form me, so I'll ask them if I can come and have a look at what they have before I decide.

I also ordered a rear brake light for the top box as the dealer is discounting all accessories for me and fitting it for free, I was even thinking about the pannier liners, but even at the discounted price of £300 for the set I still think they are too expensive, I'm sure I can pick up aftermarket ones at a fraction of the price and forgo the BMW logo, I think they are taking the piss with these:rolleyes:

James

Someone on here was selling genuine panniers for the k1600 on here the other day, don't recall price or if they sold.

Back
Top Bottom