I'm Thinking About Giving One A Go

Edmund Kean

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm assuming most contributors to this section have once been GS or RT owners in the past :nenau. Having been one myself (2012 GSA, 2012 RT & 2017 GSA) I'm now looking for a reliable alternative. My ownerships of BMW has been dogged with niggles and issues which were a nuisance and marred my ownership.

The ST's looks have always appealed. I rode one about four years ago and remember being a wee bit charmed by it's character but ended up buying a used GSA. I do remember the 2014 demonstrator having a touch too much wind noise; from memory I feel certain it was the standard screen as I remember making an adjustment in a lay by on the test. Unfortunately there are no demonstrators in my area and I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge by making a partially blind purchase on a new one. The following are things which impressed me with the BMW's which I hope would be in the main handled well by the Super Tenere.

Buffeting (has anyone got the Yamaha tall screen?)
Throttle (can't stand a glitchy jerky sensitive throttle - well who can :blast)
Vibrations (some footpeg or seat vibes are tolerable but bar vibes are intolerable for me)
Bar wobble (rode a Crosstourer the other day, and with no hands the bars wobbled away quite freely at most speeds; apparently tyre pressures were okay and the pre-loads set as standard or unchanged)

How is cleaning managed? I notice there are a lot of ledges and areas where crap can get into from rear wheel splatter.

One thing I remember form the test ride four years ago was, the turning of the front wheel at speeds lower than when counter steer takes over; there was a notable heaviness and accelerate flop to maximum lock. Anyone else have this or was it the demonstrator?

And finally, how do they respond to Hilltop's magic?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Had a 2012 st10, always felt it was over weight and under powered although a good bike to ride. I had my ecu reflashed which made a fair difference thought not "hilltopped" Buffeting I dealt with in the way of a Givi Airflow screen (which I still have as it happens) was the only thing that worked.

Wouldn't buy another but wouldn't talk anyone out of buying one.

S10

Have you tried Adam at Tinklers Norwich (he owns the dealership) bought my first one from him new in March 15 great deal great bike, bought a second new one 14 months later.
I had a 6 month old 1200 GS in 2010, sold because I was always worried it would let me down, never once have I even considered that the S10 might fail, I have total faith in it.
Not on a par with the LC Gs if you are comparing bhp but in the real world it’s got plenty of power for most men buying this sort of bike, 2 up with luggage touring you don’t need 150 bhp in my opinion, I have the wingletts and taller Yamaha screen no buffeting what so ever, 90mph with my visor open all day.

See if Adam can set you up with a test ride he let me try one for 4 hours, at the time I was looking to get rid of my second Triumph Exploader (both nightmare bikes dont get me started on Explorer problems).
If your looking for peace of mind and a very capable adv tourer IMHO the S10 is top of the list.

Hi All

I'm assuming most contributors to this section have once been GS or RT owners in the past :nenau. Having been one myself (2012 GSA, 2012 RT & 2017 GSA) I'm now looking for a reliable alternative. My ownerships of BMW has been dogged with niggles and issues which were a nuisance and marred my ownership.

The ST's looks have always appealed. I rode one about four years ago and remember being a wee bit charmed by it's character but ended up buying a used GSA. I do remember the 2014 demonstrator having a touch too much wind noise; from memory I feel certain it was the standard screen as I remember making an adjustment in a lay by on the test. Unfortunately there are no demonstrators in my area and I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge by making a partially blind purchase on a new one. The following are things which impressed me with the BMW's which I hope would be in the main handled well by the Super Tenere.

Buffeting (has anyone got the Yamaha tall screen?)
Throttle (can't stand a glitchy jerky sensitive throttle - well who can :blast)
Vibrations (some footpeg or seat vibes are tolerable but bar vibes are intolerable for me)
Bar wobble (rode a Crosstourer the other day, and with no hands the bars wobbled away quite freely at most speeds; apparently tyre pressures were okay and the pre-loads set as standard or unchanged)

How is cleaning managed? I notice there are a lot of ledges and areas where crap can get into from rear wheel splatter.

One thing I remember form the test ride four years ago was, the turning of the front wheel at speeds lower than when counter steer takes over; there was a notable heaviness and accelerate flop to maximum lock. Anyone else have this or was it the demonstrator?

And finally, how do they respond to Hilltop's magic?

Thanks in advance.

Ed
In my experience they don’t respond at all to Hilltop’s “magic”. However, they improve significantly if remapped.

have you found http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum ?

Lots on there about ECU mapping.

I owned one for 4 years. Only sold it as I got unwell and found it too heavy. No idea about cleaning as I threw a bucket of water at it once a year. Very reliable. Yes, it is top heavy compared to a boxer but nothing like as top heavy as a Tiger.

I didn't notice any vibrations or steering wobble. Screen worked for me - it was a delight after a decade with an R1150GS.

Seat: I acquired a seat modified by Tony Archer from the forum above. Sold it for a profit after changing bikes.

Tyres: mine came with Bridgestone Trailwings which I ran for a year but they were horrible. I changed to Michelin PR3 Trail and these transformed the handling including the low speed handling you mention.

Buffeting I dealt with in the way of a Givi Airflow screen (which I still have as it happens) was the only thing that worked.

Wouldn't buy another but wouldn't talk anyone out of buying one.

My sentiments exactly, in many ways it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned, solidly built, totally reliable - and would go on forever, which is why I bought it as at the time I had no idea how long I might need to keep it for.....

….turned out to be about 4 years / 22,000 miles.

I had the Gen1 model and also found the Givi Airflow was very good, and I also had the Yamaha side deflector thingies.

Early models had restrictions in lower gears which Hilltop could not remove (they could not alter the throttle maps, only fuelling) so I had it setup on a dyno by CJS Racing near Bristol, I also had a full system fitted which gave me about 12-15 BHP over stock with the remap, so it was actually fairly nippy....

...but still probably only about the same as a LCGS and the stock S10 will be noticeably less powerful than the WC GS models - but partially makes up for it by having a much stronger mid range and (unlike the GS) no flat spots so generally at low - mid revs it is just as quick or quicker, but when thrashed they run out of puff quite early and lack any top end rush.

Handling on mine seemed very good out of the crate, especially at low speed, but the shock on mine was a bit weedy (replaced by a Wilburs) I would hope the 2nd gen bikes are a bit better in this regard.

My advice would be look for a bargain, Yamaha struggle to shift these at the full RRP so sooner or later a good deal will come along, as a long term ownership proposition in a day and age of disposable bikes with lots of high tech crap to go wrong the Yamaha stands out as a bike you could run for 10 years / 100,000 miles with little fear of impending computer error / huge repair bill.

Not really a thread hi-jack, just a question on ride comfort regarding leg-room on the S10. I know you can adjust the seat height, but how does if feel if you have dodgy knees and a 33” - 34” inside leg measurement?

Not really a thread hi-jack, just a question on ride comfort regarding leg-room on the S10. I know you can adjust the seat height, but how does if feel if you have dodgy knees and a 33” - 34” inside leg measurement?

it's the only bike I have owned in the last decade where I did not lower the footpegs...

Well,I have put a deposit down on a 2017 non-ES bike with 2k miles on it. I am planning to collect it next week......

Let the farkling begin!

S10

Puig screen and winglets fitted, can even hear the sat nav whinging at me and visor up is no problem.
very comfortable dont need to get out of the seat or stretch my legs whilst riding.

it's the only bike I have owned in the last decade where I did not lower the footpegs...

Agreed! I sold my super tenere for a 2016 GSAand the gsa is cramped in comparison. Made me realise how roomy the s10was

Also - the givi airflow on the s10ka the best money you can spend on the screen. You won’t believe how effective it really is. It’s not the prettiest screen though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably the most underrated bike on the market at the moment (IMHO)

I love my S10 but it takes quite a few months to appreciate her qualities!

I've now got a 2015ZE plate with 30k on the clock (I previously clocked up about 25k in Gen 1s). Totally reliable with more leg room than a GS (I also own a 2018 GSA Rallye....no spoke problems on the S10!).

Poor after sales service compared to a BMW but thankfully very few need it!

Although 15+BHP down on the GS it isn't noticeable and will hold it's own in the real world. More engine braking compared to an LC. Whether that is a good or a bad thing depends on your riding style.

Givi AirFlow screen (mount slightly modified to fit Gen 2 S10) with OEM deflectors = motorway + speeds with visor up and no buffeting (for me!)

Don't think it handles quite as well as the GSA and probably not as comfortable but it's close

The advantage of the GSA over the S10 ZE is all the electronic gizmos. The advantage of the S10 over the GS is it has very few electronic gizmos!

30k service in a couple of weeks then off on a 3500m tour....no problem

Mike

err....may be not for you, for me the difference is massive.

I’m not sure. They’re totally different engines.

If you rev your bike then you’ll notice it - if you frequently take an LC GS above 6000rpm then you’ll notice it. But the tenere delivers its power in a totally different fashion. It’s all low down. Your often in a high gear and just letting the low down torque do the work.

This all makes it (for me)a less satisfying engine to use hard - but many will prefer it. I used to say that the tenere was like driving a big diesel engined car,if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well,I have put a deposit down on a 2017 non-ES bike with 2k miles on it. I am planning to collect it next week......

Let the farkling begin!

Pulled the pin last Wednesday and collected my Super 10, fcuk the farkling, lwt's ride!!!!! Woohoo!!

By the way, someone has said the S10 is like riding something with a big diesel engine, that's a great analogy, tones of torque and deceptively quick too!!!

Back
Top Bottom