Road Tech 01

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well , now done about 700 miles on the new boots and I would like to share a few bits.
I normally use the Conti Trail Attack 2 which is for me the default , faultless tyre of choice , great grip wet / dry , sure footedness and fast turn . BRILLIANT TYRE.
Now ……. the Road Tech 01 … what can I say as good even better as its a full road tyre and it performs very well in fact perfect apart from …
Im not sure if others have found this but the front seems to follow every undulation on the roads ( I ride mainly in wales so the roads are a mix of all sorts) but this strangley seems to feel like the tyre is continuously looking and finding the grip , its odd but works , and it finds it wet or dry.
Once used to it you can push the front hard , it squirms under heavy braking but its solid and can even lift the rear off the road ( makes its very light ) which I like ..
The rear , never moves and solid .
As a set of tyres they are like limpets to the road . Milage not sure and to be honest not bothered but will monitor as some may be .
The tyres are not burring up as much as the Conti so I would say they will last longer , the first ride was odd but the more I use them the better they get.
Note: I ride for fun and at pace so this is what I base my comments on.
The front now has around 2-3mm off unused and the rear about 3-5 so they seem balanced . I don't do islands to scrub the tyres only roads.

Have a look at the pressures
The industry standard of 36F 42R might be a bit high

I run the Hyper on RT 01 and dont have any problem with the front its well planted

I believe Metzler have a pressure chart which lists different bikes ( i cant find it ) but it did say mine should be 33F 35 R and its perfect

Thanks for the heads up , but its not a problem as the front works , it just takes a bit of getting used to so I felt I would post to maybe take the worry away from the feeling , if you see what I mean .
Redick what bike do run the different front .. is the Hyper available in 19 .
Tractors .. its an LC TC so the only clicks are soft , normal and hard . All settings have the same feeling , again its fine .

Tech & Safety Safety Maintenance

Safety Maintenance

Road performance
New tyres
Tyre mounting
Tyre storage
Damage & Repair
Tyre constructions
Tyre Pressure
Always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, many seldom remember to check their bikes tyre pressures. Correct pressures are critical for safe handling. Over inflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the size of the contact patch of the tyre with the road. Under inflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to “wander”. Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly. You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use METZELER’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off the public highway (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.

Found this .. as could not find the pressure charts, they say stick to the BMW recommendation

Miself and Redrick were talking about the Roadtec’s a couple of weeks back, having had GS’s with most of the other tyres ever mentioned on this forum, the Roadtec 01’s are probably the best ones yet.

No better explanation other than to say they are comfortable tyres, and by that I think the ride quality on these is far more comfortable and confident than the PR4’s or the A3.

I ride them at 36 42 ( and a rather large tosser size weight) and the bike suspension in full auto dynamic, yes I get a bit of resistance and thump back on the front occasionally but not as much as on other tyres.

As others have said might just be a case of playing with the pressures and tweaking the pre load, but once you find the sweet spot these are an incredible set of tyres.

Thanks for the heads up , but its not a problem as the front works , it just takes a bit of getting used to so I felt I would post to maybe take the worry away from the feeling , if you see what I mean .
Redick what bike do run the different front .. is the Hyper available in 19 .
Tractors .. its an LC TC so the only clicks are soft , normal and hard . All settings have the same feeling , again its fine .

Tech & Safety Safety Maintenance

Safety Maintenance

Road performance
New tyres
Tyre mounting
Tyre storage
Damage & Repair
Tyre constructions
Tyre Pressure
Always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, many seldom remember to check their bikes tyre pressures. Correct pressures are critical for safe handling. Over inflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the size of the contact patch of the tyre with the road. Under inflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to “wander”. Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly. You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use METZELER’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off the public highway (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.

Found this .. as could not find the pressure charts, they say stick to the BMW recommendation
No the Hyper is 17 inch front which is a good point you raise

Andy has just had a set fitted about 700 miles ago ( as have you) and he loves them and has said nothing about the front feeling different which is why i thought of pressures

Standard settings = one size fits no one !

You can try the custom settings.

I've found that tyre manufacturers technical services, friendly and helpful.

Contact Metzeler, things change with old bikes/new tyres. It takes around 18-24 months from inception to sale of new tyre designs and a lot longer for bike changes.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. Just fitted my second set on my 2016 GSA. No complaints at all. Got 6500 out of the rear and to be honest the front could have done another 3-4000.

Miself and Redrick were talking about the Roadtec’s a couple of weeks back, having had GS’s with most of the other tyres ever mentioned on this forum, the Roadtec 01’s are probably the best ones yet.

No better explanation other than to say they are comfortable tyres, and by that I think the ride quality on these is far more comfortable and confident than the PR4’s or the A3.

I ride them at 36 42 ( and a rather large tosser size weight) and the bike suspension in full auto dynamic, yes I get a bit of resistance and thump back on the front occasionally but not as much as on other tyres.

As others have said might just be a case of playing with the pressures and tweaking the pre load, but once you find the sweet spot these are an incredible set of tyres.
We always talk about tyres over bacon

I love them and although they dont seem like the obvious choice for the Ducati they are brilliant with more grip than i have the bottle to explore

On a "fast lap" corner to day and i did actually think to myself mid ben " fuck this is a long way over" still got quarter inch chicken strip

The Hyper comes as standard with super corsa and they are good and fast steering but they have to be hot hot hot to work the RT01 just work and obviously last a lot longer than the S corsa ( 1500 miles from a set of those Vs 5000 for the RT)

Big thanks for all the posts . will keep an eye on the wear rates and continue to post as , as you have all said these are a great set of tyres. Normally after 700 miles I have signs of wear on the front shoulders , none to speak of yet , so the compound must be coping better with my style of riding.
When ridden at normal / fast pace the manners are impeccable and all of the above , its only when you are really hard on the brakes the front moves , but again it a nice feeling as it shows where the tyre and the grip is , I could ,not get it to let go at all.
Maybe at last I have found a replacement tyres for the CTA2 , sad day tho as they are still an awesome tyre.

Just done 2000 miles through Spain & France on 01’s, safe to say the rest of the group were impressed with the amount of grip I was getting.

I've just ordered a set of Roadtec 01s to replace the PR4s on at the moment. The PR4s are great tyres but the last 2 rears have had 3 or 4 punctures.
The ones I'm taking off still have 3,000 miles maybe left, but I'm off on a 3 week European jaunt at the end of June and they won't last. The rear especially, the front may have done.

I've decided to give another set of tyres a go. I found it difficult to find a place that sold both the front and rear Conti Road Atack 3s for the LC and they were more expensive than the Roadtecs.
I was undecided between the 2 anyway. The Roadtecs worked out at just over £20 more than a replacement set of PR4s.

Just done 2000 miles through Spain & France on 01’s, safe to say the rest of the group were impressed with the amount of grip I was getting.

That's my next destination , well Italt Tour first 2 up , and then a hoon with my mate in Spain in September. Glad to hear the report , how did the tyres hold up to the extra heat in the roads .

That's my next destination , well Italt Tour first 2 up , and then a hoon with my mate in Spain in September. Glad to hear the report , how did the tyres hold up to the extra heat in the roads .

If this helps i had them on the XR in spain last june and they were just fine and dandy in the heat

Im off to spain again in september ferry from portsmouth on the 17th may see you

If this helps i had them on the XR in spain last june and they were just fine and dandy in the heat

Im off to spain again in september ferry from portsmouth on the 17th may see you

Thanks for that , im there a week before so just missed you , just look for the black lines lol.
Were shipping the bikes down and back ( as cannot do the ferry anymore :barf ) and concentrating our days arounds La Seu D'Urgell and Veilha as the roads are pretty awesome and have many good runs there. Hope you have a good trip as well .

Thanks for that , im there a week before so just missed you , just look for the black lines lol.
Were shipping the bikes down and back ( as cannot do the ferry anymore :barf ) and concentrating our days arounds La Seu D'Urgell and Veilha as the roads are pretty awesome and have many good runs there. Hope you have a good trip as well .

Them ferries can chuck you around good if you aint got sea legs, my tip stay in the bar area, and do not look out of the window until you are nearly arrived.

Tyres were superb, as were my last set of 01’s, temperatures from 10 to 28 degrees, all types of surface, I’ll try and remember to take a picture so you can see what they’re like at 2500 miles old.

Tyres were superb, as were my last set of 01’s, temperatures from 10 to 28 degrees, all types of surface, I’ll try and remember to take a picture so you can see what they’re like at 2500 miles old.

28 degrees wait till a summer heatwave in Southern spain Sevilla area, seen temps hitting over 45 degrees, bloody roads where like jelly in some places, glad I had some rock hard tyres on the old Harley in them times.

Pictures

Attachments

• 18DE29B8-9B2B-4B73-A563-C329BAFAAA25.jpg
    18DE29B8-9B2B-4B73-A563-C329BAFAAA25.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 521
  • 3D54E584-8767-4C20-825B-F150D100BEC5.jpg
    3D54E584-8767-4C20-825B-F150D100BEC5.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 523
  • 4CFA0DFB-A189-466E-BA05-E42D82C02BC3.jpg
    4CFA0DFB-A189-466E-BA05-E42D82C02BC3.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 527

Back