BELGIUM TO GREECE 1 JULY 2018 ON - ROUTE DRAFTED, ACCOMMODATION ++ SUGGESTIONS ANY?

GSA@123

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I am a newbie to the forum though have toured with mates to Italy, Vosges, Black Forest, Switzerland so far, so have some experience. However, I have a mission to Greece that they are unable to get time out for so am taking on the daunting prospect of doing it on my own and would be really grateful for accommodation, routing, 'avoid' type tips to take the stress out of the journey plan which comprises:

30/6 Kortrijk, Belgium -> Karlsruhe, Germany c 320 miles
1/7 Karlsruhe, Germany -> Mittersill, Austria (nr Grossglockner) c 275 miles
2/7 Mittersill, Austria -> Opatija area, Croatia c 240 miles
3/7 Opatija area, Croatia -> Split area, Croatia c 240 miles
4/7 Split, Croatia -> Shkoder (or Shkodra??) Albania VIA BOSNIA / (POSS) MONTENEGRO [I know I have to buy Insurance at the border for non EU countries) c 260 miles
5/7 Shkoder (or Shkodra??) Albania -> Trikala, Greece c 285 miles
6/7 Trikala, Greece -> Piraeus, Greece c 220 miles

I have accommodation reserved for first three nights so accommodation suggestions after that welcome. Ideally biker friendly guest house (bit old for wild camping)

I am also heading back on 20/7 to Igoumenitsa from Piraeus so any routing / accommodation suggestions c 2 hours out of Piraeus in that direction would be great.

Thanks ever so much for anything you can suggest

Cut your daily mileage a bit and take time out to enjoy the Balkans, would be a real shame to rush them. Consider taking the ferry one way from Venice to Patras and then ride home through the countries mentioned.
I was in Albania, Macedonia and Greece Peloponnese last year using this method and it works really well, so much so that I'm going back this year via Bulgaria and Turkey and having the bike sent out to Sofia then riding down through Turkey, Greece and Patras to Venice...you could spend the whole trip in Greece and not even scratch the surface.
Don't rush :thumb

Just go.

Find out as you go.

Don't like, don't stay.....or don't return.

There's too many wanting dot to dot trips on here.

And if you need to "take the stress out of the journey plan", maybe you're overplanning and overthinking it.

Load the bike, fill the tank and go for it.

Cut your daily mileage a bit and take time out to enjoy the Balkans, would be a real shame to rush them. Consider taking the ferry one way from Venice to Patras and then ride home through the countries mentioned.
I was in Albania, Macedonia and Greece Peloponnese last year using this method and it works really well, so much so that I'm going back this year via Bulgaria and Turkey and having the bike sent out to Sofia then riding down through Turkey, Greece and Patras to Venice...you could spend the whole trip in Greece and not even scratch the surface.
Don't rush :thumb

Thanks mspenz - I am planning to ferry back via Igoumenitsa but will look into your Venice option..

Maybe too many miles on the bike...

Popped you a PM or 3..

As mspenz also suggests.. don't rush! :)

Agree 100%

Too much speed, too much planning

Leaches all the fun out of touring...

Just head in the general direction;)

I agree with these two too.

however, and it may just be me, but I'd do both first days in the one day (weather permitting) and then you've an extra day to do the fun bits.

I've just been to kefalonia on the bike, if your inclined to book hotels on the day booking.com is useful. We stayed at the Velinac hotel in Karlobag south of Opatija, which was very good if your following the coast road. The only place I didn't take to was Monte negro. Shkoder is absolutely manic and dangerous on the roads. Incidentally, insurance on the border was 15 Euros. If you have the time, follow the coast road from Vlore to Sarande-beautiful scenery and a good hotel right in the middle of the Logarra national park-30 euros a night but worth every penny. Be prepared for storms in the late afternoon all the way down to Greece.
Are you going to Igoumenitsa to get the ferry ?

Hi Stever1

Thx very much for the post - very useful. I am thinking of canning a few of the hotels based on your rec and probably avoiding Shkroder!

I’m heading to Piraeus to a boat and on further south.

Khulu - 600 miles in a day...umm...I recall nearly falling asleep after 400 miles from Italy to France via Col de Rosalen / La Thuile... def not risking 600! Nice thought though..;)

Ah Stever1 - can you recall the hotel name, in the park? I'm taking the waterproofs complete with spare duck tape for the inevitable holes...!

I think its Hotel Alpin,Parku Kombetar i Llogarase, Vlora, Albania

Khulu - 600 miles in a day...umm...I recall nearly falling asleep after 400 miles from Italy to France via Col de Rosalen / La Thuile... def not risking 600! Nice thought though..;)

Unfortunately, I live about 700 miles north of Kent so it takes me a very long day, each way, to get there and back. If not then it'd be two days each way just to get to Kent, and back, before I even get to mainland Europe to have fun! I keep checking the Newcastle and Hull ferries but they're so expensive.

If travelling solo may I suggest you look for motorcycle only or biased hotels, campsites etc... There are quite a few across Europe including Hungary and Bulgaria.

I think it is better to camp in general when solo travelling as lots of European bikers (especially Dutch) do - it is a more conducive environment to get talking to people.

Make time in the Balkans - enjoy :thumby:

DON'T wild camp in Bosnia. They have wild animals which will attack you. Worked there several times and can confirm bears and wolves.

Hi Stever1

Thx very much for the post - very useful. I am thinking of canning a few of the hotels based on your rec and probably avoiding Shkroder!

I’m heading to Piraeus to a boat and on further south.

Don’t discount Montenegro, there is a very scenic ride around Kotar bay, Shkodër is busy but I can assure you Tirana the capital city of Albania is worse.

Thanks gspod - I am x referencing with motorad hotels, camp sites (several now closed) and booking.com..:beerjug:

Thanks gspod - I am x referencing with motorad hotels, camp sites (several now closed) and booking.com..:beerjug:

I’m heading down to Piraeus in September for a wedding. Looking at a similar route. Would appreciate it if you could let me know how your plans pan out 😊

Back
Top Bottom